Lowering Oil Pan 2018 On Up

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I'm in the process of doing my oil pump gears and Whipple stage II supercharger. On the 2018 on up, we have the composite (plastic) oil pans, so to get the oil pump out, you need to at least lower the oil pan. In the front of the oil pan, there are a couple of bolts with studs attached. There is no clearance to get a normal deep 13mm 1/4" drive socket with a swivel on them. I had to take a deep socket and shorten it to get it to fit with a swivel.

Just thought I'd put this out there to help someone have less grief.

245727277749_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=K9hlZmUWhpUAX-cge86&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.jpg

.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=KVuxynIXldoAX-WOfTu&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Any advice on the one that is underneath, right above the steering rack? That's the only one really giving me issues.

nrm101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the process of doing my oil pump gears and Whipple stage II supercharger. On the 2018 on up, we have the composite (plastic) oil pans, so to get the oil pump out, you need to at least lower the oil pan. In the front of the oil pan, there are a couple of bolts with studs attached. There is no clearance to get a normal deep 13mm 1/4" drive socket with a swivel on them. I had to take a deep socket and shorten it to get it to fit with a swivel.

245727277749_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=K9hlZmUWhpUAX-cge86&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.jpg

.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=KVuxynIXldoAX-WOfTu&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
Curiosity why did you feel you need to change the oil gears in 18+ most if not all the issues I've seen with the oil gears were gen 1, gen 2

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Curiosity why did you feel you need to change the oil gears in 18+ most if not all the issues I've seen with the oil gears were gen 1, gen 2
Well for me, I've heard that it's still a weak point and recommended to change out. I'm in the process of installing a supercharger so I figured for $300ish, it makes sense to go ahead and knock out the opg and cs for peace of mind.

nrm101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Well for me, I've heard that it's still a weak point and recommended to change out. I'm in the process of installing a supercharger so I figured for $300ish, it makes sense to go ahead and knock out the opg and cs for peace of mind.
Fair point 8k+ on supercharger another 300 on gears = better safe than sorry i guess :)

Sponsored

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800

Nope, all opg/css on any year coyote can be done without ever touching the oil pan. The 2 screws for the oil pickup are a bitch but there is a fairly simple way around them if you are brave enough. Doing my 18th set of opg/css install today.

nrm101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, all opg/css on any year coyote can be done without ever touching the oil pan. The 2 screws for the oil pickup are a bitch but there is a fairly simple way around them if you are brave enough. Doing my 18th set of opg/css install today.
Would you be interested in sharing how you would do that on 18+, I've seen most people say you have to drop the oil pan down

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

That's an informative post .......

thanks

OP
OP
Slopoke

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
Any advice on the one that is underneath, right above the steering rack? That's the only one really giving me issues.
Long 1/4 inch drive extensions with a swivel socket.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Slopoke

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
The oil pickup tube on the Mustangs with the composite oil pan don't have bolts attaching the tube to the pump, it slip fits into the pump. I'm really curious how you got the pump off without lowering the oil pan.

OP
OP
Slopoke

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
I felt that it's better to be safe than sorry. Since you have the timing cover fully exposed already doing a supercharger installation, it's not that much more work to do the gears.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
What is the point of the long extension on the studs? I can’t see any reason... Could they be cut down with a hacksaw to make a shorter socket work?
Another question since I’m about to do my OPG... looks like According to the repair manual that in order to fully remove the oil pan you have to raise the engine a couple of inches and lower the sub frame about 4”... I’m assuming there is enough room without doing those things to lower the pan enough to get the oil pump off... but to replace the oil pan gasket, I’d have to take the pan completely off... correct? It appears I have a minor gasket leak...

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
The oil pickup tube on the Mustangs with the composite oil pan don't have bolts attaching the tube to the pump, it slip fits into the pump. I'm really curious how you got the pump off without lowering the oil pan.
Is the pick up tube attached to the bottom of the pan with a couple of nuts or something? Is he talking about taking those off without lowering the pan, with only a small gap of access?
Sponsored