Sponsored

Loose Axle Nut/Possible Wheel Hub Issue?

bhvnce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hey all, so I’m having an issue I really want to solve because it is painfully annoying. I’m getting this obnoxiously loud click from my rear driver side wheel when moving from a stop and upon downshifts when engine braking causes car to jerk a little bit (see video link for noise clip). It really only happens when sudden movement occurs. I’ve had it before and it was the axle nut being loose and now it’s back but torquing the axle but doesn’t seem to be working this time around. I don’t think it’s the hub either because the noise only happens on sudden movements and there is absolutely no play in the wheel. I’m stumped.

Video:
Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Guessing you didn’t mean to post this twice lol

to comment again - my wheel had no play at all either. But with the old hub off, there was play when rotating it forward/back to generate a metallic click.

This was my noise for reference. Note I also replaced the thrust washer and axle nut (so you could try those first).

OP
OP
bhvnce

bhvnce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Apologies for posting twice, I thought that maybe making it a new thread would get more people to see it. My bad! Anyways, I’ve already replaced the axle nut and thrust washer but no dice. So I have to assume my hub is shot yeah?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I had one that did this specific noise at low speed going forward or backwards, and no noticeable play in the wheel yet. Gorilla torque on the nut didn't solve it, but a replacement hub did.

OP
OP
bhvnce

bhvnce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yeah I had one that did this specific noise at low speed going forward or backwards, and no noticeable play in the wheel yet. Gorilla torque on the nut didn't solve it, but a replacement hub did.
Gorilla torque describes what went on here perfectly 😂. New hub it is, I was just nervous to throw money at it and not actually solve the problem.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Apologies for posting twice, I thought that maybe making it a new thread would get more people to see it. My bad! Anyways, I’ve already replaced the axle nut and thrust washer but no dice. So I have to assume my hub is shot yeah?
yea i think it’s a worthwhile next step
Sponsored