Sponsored

looking for a little advice on where to go from here

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS/2016 GT350/2002 Audi A4
Greetings Gents,

First off...I'm really happy with my car. I know it's a '16 Tech and I don't care. I'm adding the coolers over the winter when the car is essentially parked, if not sooner. Though I'm not fully convinced of the need, I'll do it anyway because it surely couldn't hurt...

Now that we have that out of the way...lol...

I'm considering the Lund Flex Tune with the JLT intake. The car is plenty fast as is but a little more oompf is always nice. My last car was tuned and I loved it, but today I started looking at supercharger kits. From what little I've read, the car is good up to about 8-9 psi and then it might need internal work.
I don't intend on beating on the car, in fact I might never drive it as hard as the car would need the coolers for in the first place...this is likely more about having vs needing. lol I see that Lethal has a Vortech kit good for 715 hp on 6.5 psi for about 7500. I'd be plenty happy with that. The last thing I need is a car I'm worried about my wife killing herself in should I ever let her drive it.

Also, I'm keeping my eyes on the GT500 posts, and if the car is what the speculations say, I think I'm going to want it, which makes me wonder if I should just do as little as possible to the 350 and wait...BUT...I think I've learned enough from Ford in the past two years to know I'd be better off waiting for the model year AFTER the first year of release, lol...So that puts me into the 350 for another 3 years at least I would imagine.

In summary, would I be better off:

• Going for the Lund tune/coolers and call it good. Wait it out for the GT500 and if it's not the bees' knees add FI to the 350
  • Going all out, add a blower/coolers to the 350 now and just keep it.
  • Selling the thing off and waiting for the GT500

Thanks for the input, gents...
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
If you haven't hit limp mode, and you're not even sure if you're going to keep the car, I'd skip the transmission cooler. That's kind of just money down the drain if you're not going to put it to good use, and you haven't needed it thus far. I've had the car for a year and haven't hit limp mode yet save for one close occasion where I hit 260* on the mountain back roads during a spirited drive.

OP
OP
Stoked

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you haven't hit limp mode, and you're not even sure if you're going to keep the car, I'd skip the transmission cooler. That's kind of just money down the drain if you're not going to put it to good use, and you haven't needed it thus far. I've had the car for a year and haven't hit limp mode yet save for one close occasion where I hit 260* on the mountain back roads during a spirited drive.
I thought of this, but if I add power to the car you can bet I'll be driving the car hard enough to exploit it ;)

Having the coolers in place for that just adds peace of mind and protects the components that much better. Besides, getting down on a track isn't out of the question for me, just won't be commonplace.

Great thought though, thanks for the reply!

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
I was at Sonoma on Saturday and never hit limp mode. Then again, it's the 1st time I've taken it to the track and the 1st time I've been on the track! So I have a ways to go before I learn to drive it hard enough. I should mention that my tranny temp was between 250-260F pretty much the whole time. It was 82F on Sat.

- Car 959

Sponsored

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
One reason I decided against a twin turbo system is the intercooler. IMO, it ruins the look of the car.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I was at Sonoma on Saturday and never hit limp mode. Then again, it's the 1st time I've taken it to the track and the 1st time I've been on the track! So I have a ways to go before I learn to drive it hard enough. I should mention that my tranny temp was between 250-260F pretty much the whole time. It was 82F on Sat.

- Car 959
Have you thought about the Shelby Trans scoop v2?

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I bought [MENTION=20814]live2ride90[/MENTION] 's Shelby scoop, but haven't installed it yet. I wanted to see if I could hit "limp mode" naturally. ;)

OP
OP
Stoked

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW...I have the scoop sitting in a box waiting to be installed also...Just waiting for the right weekend to get it on a lift...

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I guess I'm a little confused about what your goals are. You mention a tune and intake then jump to superchargers. There's definitely a pretty big vector in power and durability involved there.

Sponsored

czaustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manuals and DCT
Option 1. Invest some into the car and see if it continues to reward you with enjoyment until you spend more money. God know's what happens in 3 years so just enjoy what you have but personalize the power like you want to do.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I bought [MENTION=20814]live2ride90[/MENTION] 's Shelby scoop, but haven't installed it yet. I wanted to see if I could hit "limp mode" naturally. ;)
I don't have the scoop yet, but I'm also waiting on hitting limp mode(if ever), then I'll make the purchase.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
FWIW...I have the scoop sitting in a box waiting to be installed also...Just waiting for the right weekend to get it on a lift...
I'd definitely like to hear your thoughts on it once you get around to installing it, and what temp reduction you see on it.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I'd definitely like to hear your thoughts on it once you get around to installing it, and what temp reduction you see on it.
I might install mine in a couple weeks and take a quick HWY 9 > HWY 35 trip to Alice's. I'll let you know what's what.

OP
OP
Stoked

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I'm a little confused about what your goals are. You mention a tune and intake then jump to superchargers. There's definitely a pretty big vector in power and durability involved there.
Intake and tune now while I wait to see what the GT500 ends up being, supercharge the 350 now, or do nothing/sell it and wait for the 500.

All options lead to a supercharged something. lol
Sponsored