Sponsored

Livernois vs. Lund vs. Bama vs. Ford Racing - Tune/Tuners?

KP6Five

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KP
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 5.0L Race Red
I agree 100%! I loaded my Lund tune today and wish I had done it months ago.
Same here! Wish I wouldn't have spent the money first on the X4 and Bama tune. Can't even begin to tell you how much better the Lund Tune is on that ugly Hypertech box. lol Won't ever let Bama Tune my Mustangs again. I assure you that!
Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
The stock tune does not change based on mode but part of the tune is changing the speed of which the butterfly opens on the fly by wire tb and that is intergarted into the modes.
I am not sure if those parameters are part of the 'tune' or something else.

As, I am pretty sure you still retain all the driving mode settings with any custom tune. Hence my question.

jackrook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
Same here! Wish I wouldn't have spent the money first on the X4 and Bama tune. Can't even begin to tell you how much better the Lund Tune is on that ugly Hypertech box. lol Won't ever let Bama Tune my Mustangs again. I assure you that!
Did you ever consider Livernois? Reason I ask is because I've narrowed my tunes down to Livernois or Lund and wanna know which one will provide 1)more realistic numbers 2) best customer service.

If I'm RISKING voiding my warranty(let's not open up that can of worms and just leave it as RISKING) then I wanna at least have my money go to a company who will back me as a life long customer.

slowest member of WCPR

KP6Five

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KP
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 5.0L Race Red
I personally haven't used Livernois but I have heard great things about them. Lunds track record and reputation steered me towards them. Jon Lund II called me personally and answered all of my questions. I think either one would be a way better choice than the X4 with a Bama tune. Lund will be the only ones tuning my Mustangs from now on. Good luck...

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I am not sure if those parameters are part of the 'tune' or something else.

As, I am pretty sure you still retain all the driving mode settings with any custom tune. Hence my question.
Those setting stack on top of the base aftermarket tune, at least that's how its been explained to me by the tuners. Hence why I'm interested if Ford Racing was able to adjust each mode. Remember there are other stability and traction control settings that are part of the modes as well.

Sponsored

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Did you ever consider Livernois? Reason I ask is because I've narrowed my tunes down to Livernois or Lund and wanna know which one will provide 1)more realistic numbers 2) best customer service.

If I'm RISKING voiding my warranty(let's not open up that can of worms and just leave it as RISKING) then I wanna at least have my money go to a company who will back me as a life long customer.

slowest member of WCPR
I apologize for the thread jack, but I don't think Lund has released their tune for the Ecoboost. Their initial numbers were great but word is the release will take some more time.

mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race red mustang GT premium
im stuck i CANT decide

Lund or livernois ahhhh

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

rcb020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
This may be a dumb question. Is there a difference between a tune for 1/4 mile times and a tune for say road courses/HPDE? Most of the tuners I see on here base the quality on how quickly one can knock off a quarter mile ET.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mikeyd56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Premium PP
I think I'm gonna go with livernois because they have their own tuning device. I feel if you went with either one you will be happy

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I think I'm gonna go with livernois because they have their own tuning device. I feel if you went with either one you will be happy
we let customers make their choice on tuning device.

if you like the sct, we'll tune that,

if you want out device, the hyperbox, we'll tune that

when the ngauge is done in the next couple weeks, we'll do that as well

we'll also offer remote tuning on any combination

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
This may be a dumb question. Is there a difference between a tune for 1/4 mile times and a tune for say road courses/HPDE? Most of the tuners I see on here base the quality on how quickly one can knock off a quarter mile ET.

You can talk to your tuner and specify the kind of use you need out of your car. For 1/4 mile I'd expect maximum power and for a manual things can be adjusted for launching and WOT upshifts. For road course racing I'd want a slightly safer tune so I could run for 25+ minutes straight at WOT and not worry about stuff like launching/torque management.

Melekith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Some additional n00b questions for y'all...

Is the tuning 'device' simply the interface between the user and vehicle? So when we talk about using an SCT vs. a Hyperbox...the difference here is how the user interacts with said device, and that's it? Or does one allow for greater/more customization?

And then as far as ordering a custom tune...I always thought that "custom" meant getting your personal vehicle into a tuner's hands and onto a dyno. Everything else is just some form of canned tune...or am I wrong? For example...if I order a "custom" tune online and I specify all my modifications...is one of the in-house vehicles fitted with those parts (if not already) and tuned, which then becomes the tune that is loaded onto the device for the customer?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Some additional n00b questions for y'all...

Is the tuning 'device' simply the interface between the user and vehicle? So when we talk about using an SCT vs. a Hyperbox...the difference here is how the user interacts with said device, and that's it? Or does one allow for greater/more customization?

And then as far as ordering a custom tune...I always thought that "custom" meant getting your personal vehicle into a tuner's hands and onto a dyno. Everything else is just some form of canned tune...or am I wrong? For example...if I order a "custom" tune online and I specify all my modifications...is one of the in-house vehicles fitted with those parts (if not already) and tuned, which then becomes the tune that is loaded onto the device for the customer?

The handheld tuning device(SCT X4, Hyperbox, etc) stores the tune file written by the tuner(Livernois, Lund, Bama, etc) and uploads it into the vehicle's PCM. The SCT can also interface with the PCM and perform datalogging.

A canned tune is written for a stock or lightly modded car with the common mods. The only specific aspect of a canned tune is the PCM code, written on the PCM itself. A custom tune is written specifically for your car and mods, and is usually perfected through datalogs. A dyno tune is a tune written on a dyno, duh. However with datalogging you don't need to be at the tuner's shop or even on a dyno(though it is safer). You can connect your tuning device and laptop to the car and go driving around, save the file and email it to your tuner. They analyze the datalog file and tweak your tune to correct for your local conditions, fuel, and preferences(redline, lope, or whatever you want).
Sponsored