Sponsored

Linear Springs or Progressive Springs Whats Your Choice?

Edgemere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edge
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Greetings,

I gave a 2022 Mustang GT Premium without the performance package. I am considering doing a Steeda spring upgrade with Pro Action non adjustable shocks & struts. I am conflicted on weather to go with their Sport Lowering, Progressive Springs or their Minimum Drop, Linear Springs. I really do not want to lower my car very much and, I have been considering both of these springs. My car will only be a Summer only car with no track or drag use.

My question is; for my use, street only, whats is better Progressive Springs or Linear Springs? What are the pros and cons? Also, looking at the base springs on Mustang GT's they all appear to be only linear springs. Am I right or wrong on that?

Your thoughts.

Thanks, Edgemere
Sponsored

Brisvegas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Dark Matter Grey '23 GT Mustang , 1976 SS Torana
Comfort vs handing , thats the decision .

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
You want progressives for the comfort. Linear will have a harsher ride. If you were going to be tracking a fair bit then the linear would be a stronger consideration. Also consider an anti-roll bar first and then see how you like the handling before springs.

OP
OP
Edgemere

Edgemere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edge
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for your reply. I did install a BMR 25mm rear sway bar and a Steeda tower brace before I stored my Mustang for the Winter. I kept the front 32mm base sway bar in place.

Edgemere

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Greetings,

I gave a 2022 Mustang GT Premium without the performance package. I am considering doing a Steeda spring upgrade with Pro Action non adjustable shocks & struts. I am conflicted on weather to go with their Sport Lowering, Progressive Springs or their Minimum Drop, Linear Springs. I really do not want to lower my car very much and, I have been considering both of these springs. My car will only be a Summer only car with no track or drag use.

My question is; for my use, street only, whats is better Progressive Springs or Linear Springs? What are the pros and cons? Also, looking at the base springs on Mustang GT's they all appear to be only linear springs. Am I right or wrong on that?

Your thoughts.

Thanks, Edgemere
Hey this is Junior from N4SM, my dad had similar thoughts like you are having. The easiest way to put it is the Linear springs are going to have a firmer ride and handle better. Progressive springs are going to have a softer ride but will still handle great. My dad chose to go with the linear springs at first on his 2018 GT with magneride and it was a little too firm for his liking when the car was in track mode (I don't know why he likes to drive in track mode haha). He swapped over to the progressive springs and was much happier. The linear springs are not unbearably firm but you will definitely notice they were made for performance. If you want to play it safe the progressives are the way to go.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Check out this article to help you with the decision :)

https://www.steeda.com/mustang-progressive-linear-springs

What Are Progressive Springs?
Progressive rate springs provide a variable spring rate from one side of the spring to another. These springs are ideal for those who are looking for an all-around solution to lowering their Mustang and increasing handling capability, all without sacrificing ride quality.

What Are Linear Springs?
Linear springs have a constant, or static, spring rate throughout the entire spring, from top to bottom. These springs provide a much more direct feeling through the suspension as it is compressed, this is due to the constant rate of feedback the spring is giving against your chassis, regardless of suspension travel.

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your reply. I did install a BMR 25mm rear sway bar and a Steeda tower brace before I stored my Mustang for the Winter. I kept the front 32mm base sway bar in place.

Edgemere
Personally, I’d go with a larger front bar before new shocks and springs. I think you’ll notice a handling change. Then decide how much stiffer you want the springs and dampers. Just my $.02.

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Check out this article to help you with the decision :)

https://www.steeda.com/mustang-progressive-linear-springs

What Are Progressive Springs?
Progressive rate springs provide a variable spring rate from one side of the spring to another. These springs are ideal for those who are looking for an all-around solution to lowering their Mustang and increasing handling capability, all without sacrificing ride quality.

What Are Linear Springs?
Linear springs have a constant, or static, spring rate throughout the entire spring, from top to bottom. These springs provide a much more direct feeling through the suspension as it is compressed, this is due to the constant rate of feedback the spring is giving against your chassis, regardless of suspension travel.
So then what would be the Steeda lowering spring version of BMR-083 springs or ford performance TRACK springs?
same question for ford performance TRACK strut & shock kit?
Just curious.
THanks Anthony

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
If you're trying to keep it simple and don't want to lower the car too much, go with the MD springs as they only lower the car about .5". It will look better than stock and handle better.
Look up some pics on here that show cars with a .5" drop.
I went with the Progressives (1" drop) as I liked the look more, still have comfort, and handles better than the PP1 springs. The Bilsteins went in, too.
It's always difficult to give an answer to this type of question as looks and comfort levels are subjective.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
There's nothing inherently wrong with progressive springs. They have their place. I just don't think this is a particularly good application. The problem with most of them is the rate itself, not whether or not it's progressive. The Steeda progressive rear goes to 1100#/in, which is way too stiff.

OEM tuners have a little saying about making ride better. It goes like this. If you think the problem is the front; it's probably the rear. If you think it's the rear; you're probably right.

Moe@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moe
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, '99 BMW E36, '16 BMW F22M, '11 BMW E70 X5M
You're going to get many different answers based on people's preferences when it comes to ride quality and handling capabilities. It sounds like you're more concerned about comfort when it comes to your vehicle, so the progressive springs would be best for that use. Linear springs are static and offer more feedback from the road, which can emit a more rough/raw driving experience. Let me know if you have any questions and check out the progressive springs below:

https://www.lethalperformance.com/s...ressive-2015-2024-mustang-gt-v6-555-8210.html
Sponsored