Sponsored

Lets talk hypethetically, All aluminum mustang!

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
It all depends on what your goals and use is. If it were up to me, I wish ford still offered manual windows, locks, seats. They need to make the front k-member and control arms from aluminum and the rear IRS cradle from aluminum, carbon fiber driveshaft, aluminum doors, aluminum deck lid, forged aluminum wheels. Then I'd remove the radio, AC, heater, carpet padding, sound denting, remove the wiring in the harness that isn't needed for things such as the radio, AC, heater controls, etc.
Sponsored

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Agreed, they need to shed some pounds. If they did it for the F150, why not the Mustang?
The reason they did it for the F-150 is due to pickups being swept into CAFE standards calculations. Like it or not the Mustang is a niche car and makes up a small % of Ford sales thus contributes only slightly to fleet CAFE numbers. They sell a SHIT load of F-150s and HAD to reduce their weight to get MPG numbers in line.

Now would I like Mustang to lose some weight - you betcha I would, but at what cost?

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I think aluminum is tougher than people think

[ame]

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Ford dropped the ball with the S550. They kept saying the car will be lighter. But yet the GT gained over 100 pounds. They could have easily lost weight in this car especially since the whole platform was new.

2011mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang 2016 mustang eco premium
Ford dropped the ball with the S550. They kept saying the car will be lighter. But yet the GT gained over 100 pounds. They could have easily lost weight in this car especially since the whole platform was new.
I don't think Ford ever actually said that. It was always rumored and it just became fact. I do think Ford will eventually move to aluminum though. The F-150 was the test case and once they use it more it will move to other models.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Do you need to be educated as to the reality of what was said and what happened?
Sponsored