Sponsored

Least Sketchy Radial at High Speeds for Mexico?

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Looking to pick up a 20" radial soon. I only do Mexico runs, usually 50 rolls or higher. Would love for it to dead hook 2nd gear; I'm making around 750 wheel. Needs to not get me killed in the rain (Houston can sneak up on you). Would prefer if it lasted more than 8000 miles. Lastly it has to not be sketchy at high speed, around 140+. That floaty feeling is terrifying.

Still trying to narrow down between these:

1. NT555R - I hear these are decent in rain, hook the least well of this list though. As long as it can hook a 40 or 50 roll in 2nd gear with 331s, it's good enough.
2. NT05R - I hear these are terrible in the rain but still better than the ET street SS, but don't last as long as the NT555rs
3. MT ET Street SS - Would love to run these as I heard they're the best for hooking, but I've also read that they can get kind of questionable at higher speeds and are death in the rain.
4. Toyo R888R - Won’t track/road course the car so I feel I wouldn’t take advantage of these.

Also I'm currently running 315/35r20 Dunlops and I've heard the sizing of these drag radials can be weird, so I'm open to know what tire sizes are best for the Nittos for a 11" width with a +50 offset.

Any advice is welcome.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Fixing to pull the trigger on some et street ss, as I got a good deal on some new ones. Any way to avoid the gliding feeling everyone is warning me about?

RBINCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 10r80 GT, 07 GT500 Vert
I have had both NTO5R & M/T ET Streets SS and the M/T's hooked better for me. When caught in the rain the M/T's were better but you still need to drive with caution. I have never experienced a gliding or floating sensation with the M/T's at high speeds (have had the car in the high 150s at several half mile events). I think you're making the right choice especially if at a good price because they are so expensive. I now run M/T ET Street R out back. I think trying to get 8K out of these tires, and keep good service, is a stretch.

Mikeextrafast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT premium performance package
What air pressure seems to work the best ? Is it possible to hook up 900 hp on the street with the MTs?

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
My experience so far has been running 25 psi cold (27 psi warmed up). For 60 rolls, I imagine it should be pretty easy for the mickeys at 900. I've only had them on for 2 days, but so far, I can hook a 2nd gear, 45 roll on 20" Mickeys at around 4500 rpm at ~750 whp. I haven't tried a 50-55 roll in 2nd yet, but 60+ rolls are in 3rd gear for me and it'll be easy for the Mickeys for sure. Keep in mind, I'm a manual with 331s.

I imagine they'll do well with 900, especially if you lower the psi to about 17-18 when you are going to be throwing some power at them. But anything less than a 40 roll might require some 17" tires.
Sponsored