Sponsored

Learning FORScan, OBDII, All That Cool Stuff....

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OK guys, one of my weaker areas is playing around with all the options and things you can do in FORScan. And by weaker, I mean I've never done it, LOL. What tools, OBDII reader, software (or apps), stuff like that do I need? What all to get started, and have the capability to play with that, pull/read/clear codes, etc? Sorry if this one has been beat up. I found specific stuff but not much on getting started from square one!
Sponsored

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Need:
- Laptop (preferably Windows, preferably with Bluetooth capability)
- An OBD dongle (I use and recommend OBDLink MX+, which you can get from Amazon for $99.99, which uses a Bluetooth connection and can also connect to smartphone apps like Harry’s Laptimer)
- A Forscan license, which you can get for free, or an extended license for $20 for 3 years (easily found with a Google search)
- Then download the Forscan software from here and install it on your laptop.

Once you have the above, dive into this thread and have fun!

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
OK guys, one of my weaker areas is playing around with all the options and things you can do in FORScan. And by weaker, I mean I've never done it, LOL. What tools, OBDII reader, software (or apps), stuff like that do I need? What all to get started, and have the capability to play with that, pull/read/clear codes, etc? Sorry if this one has been beat up. I found specific stuff but not much on getting started from square one!
Forscan plays two different roles in terms of what it does. First, it's like a really capable code reader that can reach into every module in your car and tell you what's going on. You can clear codes, you can run diagnostics, you can run service cycles like ABS flush or diff cooler pump.

Second, it can also reach into many of the modules and change the "as-built" coding to change how modules behave. Want to turn off Sirius because you don't use it? There's a setting for that.

Which part of it is most useful to you? They each have a learning curve and a lot of the stuff out there blends them together.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
Forscan plays two different roles in terms of what it does. First, it's like a really capable code reader that can reach into every module in your car and tell you what's going on. You can clear codes, you can run diagnostics, you can run service cycles like ABS flush or diff cooler pump.
I’ve used FORScan to change settings on my 2018 F-150 like the double horn honk and others but I was not aware you can run diagnostics. I am trying to see if I can figure out why my MPG has dropped 2-3 MPG lately. I called the Ford dealer and they said they could run diags for $139 so is there a way to use FORScan to do this? If so, can you give me some direction.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I’ve used FORScan to change settings on my 2018 F-150 like the double horn honk and others but I was not aware you can run diagnostics. I am trying to see if I can figure out why my MPG has dropped 2-3 MPG lately. I called the Ford dealer and they said they could run diags for $139 so is there a way to use FORScan to do this? If so, can you give me some direction.
That's pretty straightforward. Plug in your OBD dongle, hook up to Forscan and see if any codes are set in any module - most likely the ECU, but there could be others. If there are no codes, then your F150 is running properly and any decline in fuel economy isn't caused by an engine or transmission fault. The reason this works is that Ford has programmed every module to detect deviations from normal, for instance, if the trans is slipping, the ECU will know that. It may not turn on a check engine light, though, so your scan for codes will turn up the problem and set you on the path to fixing it.

Sponsored

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
That's pretty straightforward. Plug in your OBD dongle, hook up to Forscan and see if any codes are set in any module - most likely the ECU, but there could be others. If there are no codes, then your F150 is running properly and any decline in fuel economy isn't caused by an engine or transmission fault. The reason this works is that Ford has programmed every module to detect deviations from normal, for instance, if the trans is slipping, the ECU will know that. It may not turn on a check engine light, though, so your scan for codes will turn up the problem and set you on the path to fixing it.
Thanks, JAJ, I will plug it in and see what is shows.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Ugh...I don't have a laptop, nor anything Windows.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium