Learning and learning the hard way ...

Sweetface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
So I attempted my 2nd trip to the track realizing, I have a lot to learn about launching my 2019 6sp gt but I'd figure going into 2nd would be elementary. Thinking my e85 longtube 4.09 gears set up may be to much for my nitto nt05 non Rs ....2nd gear was useless shifting past 6500 ..
Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
So I attempted my 2nd trip to the track realizing, I have a lot to learn about launching my 2019 6sp gt but I'd figure going into 2nd would be elementary. Thinking my e85 longtube 4.09 gears set up may be to much for my nitto nt05 non Rs ....2nd gear was useless shifting past 6500 ..
I think you're onto something with the limitations of your tires. The non-R NT05s are supposed to be decent but not best in class...probably a bit better than my Indy 500s but not much. Add in your E85 tune and other mods and you're way outside their capabilities. At this point, the fun is doing the best you can with what you have.

So you have the 4.09s as well? As you might have noticed, we bought ourselves the need for an extra shift in the 1320...and first gear runs out so quick that it's almost useless. As others have pointed out, the 4.09s are better everywhere except the drag strip! Personally, I'm ok with that since the car is just more fun to drive all around and the power band is more accessible. My only regret is not getting 4.56s.

How did you do? What were your launch RPM? What were your trap speeds?

On my first trip, I just barely cracked into the 12s, best trap speed was 113. My 60' is what killed my runs due mostly to traction limitations and first time on the strip driver jitters.

Assuming the weather holds, I will be heading for my second ever trip to the drag strip tonight for another test and tune. I hope I do at least a little better.

OP
OP
Sweetface

Sweetface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I think you're onto something with the limitations of your tires. The non-R NT05s are supposed to be decent but not best in class...probably a bit better than my Indy 500s but not much. Add in your E85 tune and other mods and you're way outside their capabilities. At this point, the fun is doing the best you can with what you have.

So you have the 4.09s as well? As you might have noticed, we bought ourselves the need for an extra shift in the 1320...and first gear runs out so quick that it's almost useless. As others have pointed out, the 4.09s are better everywhere except the drag strip! Personally, I'm ok with that since the car is just more fun to drive all around and the power band is more accessible. My only regret is not getting 4.56s.

How did you do? What were your launch RPM? What were your trap speeds?

On my first trip, I just barely cracked into the 12s, best trap speed was 113. My 60' is what killed my runs due mostly to traction limitations and first time on the strip driver jitters.

Assuming the weather holds, I will be heading for my second ever trip to the drag strip tonight for another test and tune. I hope I do at least a little better.

I only have a couple of 1/8 mile tracks around here so the 4.09s actually works for that distance topping out in 3rd. I was only launching at about 2500 ( still learning and getting a feel ) , what rpm have you been trying ?? my trap speeds were around 88 - 89mph in the 1/8.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
I only have a couple of 1/8 mile tracks around here so the 4.09s actually works for that distance topping out in 3rd. I was only launching at about 2500 ( still learning and getting a feel ) , what rpm have you been trying ?? my trap speeds were around 88 - 89mph in the 1/8.
Yeah, the 4.09s do sound like a good match for the 1/8. If that's your intended use, you are probably in good shape with this ratio.

I have been leaving at 3300-3500 with a little bit of riding the clutch. Some people seem to launch higher than that. I'm stuggling with traction but that's largely driver error and somewhat the attributable to the 300+ treadwear tires.

I was just out doing some practice launches and the only desolate spot nearby with decent pavement is also a 2-4% (?) grade. Running up hill, I still managed a 4.7 to 60 with a 3300 launch in Advancetrac Sport mode (my car is a base trim GT) which seems better than expected.. No idea how the traction control is helping or not but it seemed to launch more easily.
Sponsored