Sponsored

Lead on a '17 GT350 - Should I?

tawheed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
So, I had a 2017 GT/CS a couple of years ago and have lusted after a GT350 after driving one. As it happens, a friend of mine is looking to get out of his 17 GT350, it has 10k miles on it. This is essentially a dream car for me, it's not nearly as practical as my current 2019 STI (a 6 year old and 4 year old plus hockey), but I can make do as we also have an SUV for family hauling duty.

I've done all the reading on all the oil consumption and engine failure issues, the car has powertrain warranty til sometime in 2022, which eases the fear a bit, but I'm still hesitant wondering if I'm buying something that's more of a when, and not if, as it relates to some sort of catastrophic failure. Is there any confirmed #s on how many cars are affected or what the root cause is?

Appreciate any feedback.
Sponsored

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
Juts bought a 2018 and read all the horror stories about oil consumption and motor replacements. Its not my daily driver so I decided to just do it and watch the oil closely, dream car for me also. While I'm sure its not easy to get a replacement engine, I haven't reaad any cases where Ford denied the warranty. I'm sure your friend wouldn't hide engine issues from you, ask him if the car has any oil consumption. From what I have read it occurs more often for cars that are tracked and driven harder than you typically see on the street.

Mechanical failures are a fact of life just bear in mind this is essentially a race track setup car so more maintenance and oversight should be expected.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Just depends on the price.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Juts bought a 2018 and read all the horror stories about oil consumption and motor replacements. Its not my daily driver so I decided to just do it and watch the oil closely, dream car for me also. While I'm sure its not easy to get a replacement engine, I haven't reaad any cases where Ford denied the warranty. I'm sure your friend wouldn't hide engine issues from you, ask him if the car has any oil consumption. From what I have read it occurs more often for cars that are tracked and driven harder than you typically see on the street.

Mechanical failures are a fact of life just bear in mind this is essentially a race track setup car so more maintenance and oversight should be expected.
+1. If it is your dream car and the price is right, DO IT. You canā€™t live life worrying that something could happen. Also at 10k your friend should have some idea about oil consumption. And as you said, the car is under warranty. Worst case scenario, Ford will fix it.
upload_2019-9-2_9-21-8.gif

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
My ā€˜17 has 4,000 miles on it with several track days and longer trips on it. I bought it new. I see no high oil use at this moment. The percentage of high oil users in the GT350 is low. I added the premium care at delivery out to 7 years and if the engine turns on me in that time period Iā€™m covered. This is the finest performance car I have ever owned and is way more versatile than you think.

Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
OP
OP

tawheed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I would say go for it!
I guess by the time cost of borrowing is factored in it would definitely be closer to the $44k USD lol.
Sponsored