Sponsored

Laminova HE, additional loop cooling system?

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
I was just trying to think of alternate ways to keep cars from hitting temp limits on track. Just a thread to throw out ideas without clogging the 50 page CHT thread..

I am a firm believer in that the solution isn't to keep stacking heat exchangers infront of eachother.

What if a parallel loop was added as a method to store/shed additional energy? After all we're just looking to last a finite amount of time before an extended cooldown period. This style of heat exchanger is nice because it doesn't need to be mounted to receive airflow and possibly allowing for less pressure drop by having shorter oil lines.

Laminova equate their heat exchanger to using an traditional oil cooler by allowing more heat to be transferred to the coolant, although i would propose not tapping into the existing coolant loop.

Unknowns:

-Fluid in new loop? Oil, Water? The water could be changed between sessions but based on the quantity of coolant in the oem system this may not be practical? The unit itself can be set up with JIC fittings on all 4 ports, or with the barb style on the coolant ends.

-Flow rate of new medium? I would guess a relatively low flow rate would be better? But they do offer restrictors to be placed at the outlet of the coolant side

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/...s/view/laminova-oil-water-heat-exchangers-319

https://www.laminova.com/

laminova10.jpg

COOLER.png
Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
It's literally what the stock oil cooler is doing...

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Aeroquip has been marketing these for a long time for racing purposes. I have seen guys try them and then go back to air to oil coolers on there race cars. Admittedly my experience is mostly with rotary powered road race cars, but nothing stresses a cooling system more than a rotary.

If you manage the air going into and out of the oil cooler it is possible to limit its impact on the other parts of the cooling system. For example, provide a separate column of air to the oil cooler then dump the air from the back side of the oil cooler under the radiator. You'll see examples of this if you study race car cooling system duct work.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's literally what the stock oil cooler is doing...
+1

I would just do a traditional Air to Fluid like the mishimoto kit does, I would not want to put Heat into the cooling system. You can run a thicker oil to help with oil temps, but if you use HOT coolant to "cool" hot oil, you're putting heat into the Cooling system that is already close to being overwhelmed.

I think getting rid of the stock Oil/Water cooler is better all around for track stuff. If you REALLY want to use an Air to Water cooler, You would likely need to run a system that is divorced from the engine coolant system.

OP
OP

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
i guess i didn't explain well enough.

-separate loop from the cooling system
-oil cooler/fan mounted in the rear (hence cad graphic)
-reservoir in trunk or near the rear to increase amount of heat able to be stored

what if you did oil/oil, and had 1/2-1X the amount of oil in the engine as the separate loop? having the separate loop able to start off at ambient temp because it doesn't need to be at operating temp to pass through the engine would give you a larger overall operating range (80f-250f).

Last edited:

Sponsored

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I don't think what you are proposing can be accomplished with the wet sump oiling system like the one used in an S550. Its a closed system designed to maintain a specific oil volume and pressure to the engine bearings after the oil has been cooled and filtered. So I really can't think of a way to scavenge a portion of the oil and cycle it through a separate cooling system,

As far as the aftermarket oil to water coolers, they are intended to use the engines coolant as a heat sync. The assumption is that the water radiator would be adequetly sized and ducted so that it could eat the addtional heat. Adding another source of coolant would entail an additional radiator and pump for this coolant. Which sounds extremely inefficient and heavy.

I think you are over thinking this. I would recommend contacting Roadrace1 https://roadrace1.com/ and see what they recommend. Coyotes get raced allot in sprint and endurance races so emulating what they are doing to manage oil temps would make sense to me. For example, Pheonix Performance http://www.phoenixperformance.net/ and the teams that ran Boss 302Rs in IMSA, etc.

OP
OP

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
lets have a go at this again. the two oils would never mix. for me having a drop in system vs changing/modifying parts, stealth if you will. No ducts, or holes in hoods. i believe these coolers have been used by lotus in the past. fans on diff coolers mounted perpendicular to air going under the car still seem to work good.

cooler2.png

cad.PNG

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
lets have a go at this again. the two oils would never mix. for me having a drop in system vs changing/modifying parts, stealth if you will. No ducts, or holes in hoods. i believe these coolers have been used by lotus in the past. fans on diff coolers mounted perpendicular to air going under the car still seem to work good.

cooler2.png

cad.PNG
Why use oil in the second loop? If they don't mix, the only difference from the stock oil cooler is that you use a separate loop instead of engine coolant. Seems that you can use water?

How much weight would this add to be effective? Have you calculated that?

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The coolant medium would need to have the ability to rapidly absorb heat in the engine oil cooler and then rapidly reject heat in the separate radiator. Wouldn't matter what is since it serves no other purpose to the car. I would want to use something that is easy to pump and isn't corrosive to the cooling system like water/antifreeze.

This sort of reminds me of the air to water intercooler on a GT500. I believe it is divorced from the engine cooling system.
Sponsored