Sponsored

Koni Active Suspension

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone is running these? Keen to try them and the Koni Importer (Toperformance) in Melb is apparently selling a few but haven't seen anything here.

Really appreciate feedback if anyone cares to jump in.

Cheers!
Sponsored

gammer2019

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Hi yes I'm running that setup with the eibach pro kit, the ride is improved over stock struts and shocks, better dampening and better control. I like them so far.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone is running these? Keen to try them and the Koni Importer (Toperformance) in Melb is apparently selling a few but haven't seen anything here.

Really appreciate feedback if anyone cares to jump in.

Cheers!
Did I see you've installed these shocks on your car? If so what are your thoughts on them?

I see also you're looking at the BMR min lowering springs. I've run these for the last 3.5 years and have been very happy with them.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi Michael,

Yes, the rear Konis are in and the fronts are going in next week with the SP763. I've only done about 400km on the rears on stock springs and it feels promising but I'll reserve judgement until I drive it a bit more with everything in. Unsurprisingly the rears felt like they were controlling the spring much better and there was less of the annoying bounce.

Thanks for the vote of approval on the springs. I was keen to see what they were like with the stock dampers, but not enough to install them and then do it all over again with the new dampers. Many people seem to be happy with them and I like that they're stockish rate and lower the car just enough to make a difference.

I'll write something about the overall set up after I've had decent time with it, should be a good indication as our set ups look identical other than you have the CB005 and I have the Steeda 'stop the hop' gear.

Did you need adjustable front end links on yours to avoid having to preload the bar once lowered?

Cheers

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
I haven't worried about the front end so much and concentrated on the rear. I've always been impressed with how the car turns in and tracks as long as the rear doesn't become unsettled.

That said I have added a strut tower brace and CB007 at the front (better add that to my list - I had forgotten) and that just keeps the chassis square.

Next on my suspension list are the shocks and most probably the Koni active or Steeda equivalent. So very interested in your assessment.

I'm sure you'll pleased with the BMR springs. I echo your thoughts re the similarity to stock spring rate and just the right amount of lowering. Very practical, yet looks just right to me.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Just a word of advice, based on recent experience, for anyone considering these.

If you buy directly from Koni (Toperformance) in Melbourne you'll void the warranty. To obtain a warranty you need to go through a distributor, luckily the person I spoke to at Tops told me this upfront.

If you happen to have a bad damper like I did, it needs to go back to the distributor. They send it back to Tops for testing and the results are sent to Koni Holland. If Koni Holland approves a warranty claim Tops credit the distributor and the distributor credits the customer. However, if the unit is ok freight both ways and testing are at your cost if you want the damper back. If the distributor acts promptly and it all goes smoothly the process can take several weeks so it may be very inconvenient if you have no other dampers.

Some distributors are reluctant to go through the warranty process as they don't make anything out of it, and may dismiss concerns by suggesting that whatever problem you're experiencing isn't related to the damper particularly if you have aftermarket parts fitted. You can though at any stage demand that it be returned for a warranty claim.

Tops have been very helpful, just something to consider when deciding what to purchase. And choose the distributor carefully.
Sponsored

Last edited: