Sponsored

Knocking Noise - Video included

daniel_94kg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
[ame]

pulled onto the highway today, all the sudden I have this loud knocking noise. I pulled the belt off and checked all of the pulleys. I have a feeling it's something internal, I don't even know what end to start with. Car has no power now...
Sponsored

Jon B.

Farm Truck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Premium PP GT, '01 Lightning
Really hard to tell from that short inside video. I'd check pretty much anything that can easily be checked. If you need a hand let me know.

Jay159866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 1966 Coupe
I definitely wouldn't drive it anymore. Nothing is leaking? Could be a headgasket. Check your oil and coolant.

OP
OP
daniel_94kg

daniel_94kg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
I definitely wouldn't drive it anymore. Nothing is leaking? Could be a headgasket. Check your oil and coolant.
Oil is perfect. Oil pressure is reading normal. Just checked it. im curious if I can take the belt off and start the car to see if it still makes the noise, if yes, it's something with the engine, if not something at the front, but I don't know if it's the best idea. I did that on my fox years back and found a bad pulley...

moddirtrcr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
A few things I would check if it was mine. Automatic trans, torque convertor bolts could be loose. Manual trans stock clutch could be coming apart does the sound go away or lessen when clutch is depressed? Any check engine light or faults for misfire? You could unplug each injector at a time to see if sound goes away gets softer or lessens. No combustion in a cylinder will lessen the sound a problem cylinder. If you don't have a way of cancelling a cylinder out. The concerning thing is the more you run it the more damage you could cause. If the sound does sound internal it would probably be wise to do a compression check along with a cylinder bleed down test. Just some thoughts kind of hard with the short video while driving. Same noise while setting still?

Sponsored

OP
OP
daniel_94kg

daniel_94kg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
A few things I would check if it was mine. Automatic trans, torque convertor bolts could be loose. Manual trans stock clutch could be coming apart does the sound go away or lessen when clutch is depressed? Any check engine light or faults for misfire? You could unplug each injector at a time to see if sound goes away gets softer or lessens. No combustion in a cylinder will lessen the sound a problem cylinder. If you don't have a way of cancelling a cylinder out. The concerning thing is the more you run it the more damage you could cause. If the sound does sound internal it would probably be wise to do a compression check along with a cylinder bleed down test. Just some thoughts kind of hard with the short video while driving. Same noise while setting still?
Manual Trans. Makes he noise when just idling, clutch in or out, same noise. I am in need of a clutch, so it'd be awesome if that's the case. Noise raises and lowers with rpm of the engine and seems to be on the passenger side of the car. I can't get a decent video because I'm either in the car or out of the car. No CE lights. I don't have the means to do a compression check. Im going to probably have a local shop take a look at it tomorrow.

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
Sounds like an exhaust leak... that's definitely not rod knock as the frequency would be 1/8th of the rpm. Valve train issues will manifest as 1/2 frequency of the rpm. The frequency of the noise in the video seems to be matching the rpm of the engine.

Tony

Jon B.

Farm Truck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An exhaust leak doesn't explain his lack of power though. Without a better video or hands on its very hard to speculate accurately.

sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Can you take a video under the hood at idle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored
OP
OP
daniel_94kg

daniel_94kg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
[ame]

here's a video of the it at about 3500rpm. I can hear the knock at idle, but on video all you hear is the blower whistling and you can't hear the knock. I unplugged each injector on the passenger side and the noise softens, but can faintly be heard. when all are plugged in, it's as loud as can be heard here in this video. i think i'm done messing with it for today. I'm going to take it to a local speed shop to see if they can pinpoint it tomorrow. Sorry for the shit video, i'm trying to balance my jerry rig to push the throttle and video at the same time..

sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Shouldn't be to hard to find.. Definitely have it towed don't drive it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon B.

Farm Truck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's definitely softer than I thought initially. I'd take your car up to Benson if you have a choice. Again, if you need an hand with something let me know.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Stop running it for sure.
Something is getting beaten to crap to make that kinda noise.
What codes are stored?
If power is down it should throw codes?
dropped valve from bad retainer? - that would throw codes.
Not too many ways to make that much noise and not throw codes.
Crossing fingers for ya.

moddirtrcr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
An exhaust leak doesn't explain his lack of power though. Without a better video or hands on its very hard to speculate accurately.
Exactly.
Loss of power non contributing cylinders. I wouldn't run it anymore. Compression check would most likely reveal the issue
Sponsored