JLT CAI vs Ford performance

AndreiD

converted Ford fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2009 BMW X6 50i, 2012 BMW K1300R
Hi guys,

Can any of you share their experience with the JLT Cold Air Intake vs the stock unit or with the Ford Performance filter

What I'm interested to know is if there is a difference in air flow performance especially without a tune. Now I know that JLT says that a tune is necessary with their kit, and I'm definitely going towards that if I go JLT but it ain't quite fair to compare JLT + tuned GT350 vs stock GT350 or even with Ford Performance filter.
Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I need to see dyno runs to believe anything regarding cold air intakes and gained performance.... Stock is already a cold air intake, pretty good at that.
People claiming performance gains after changing an air filter experience a pretty strong placebo effect.
Just my 2 cents.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
This forum is full of documented data on CAI. The only real power adder is a Tune. I went with a JLT filter due to its longevity and not power gains.

OP
OP
AndreiD

AndreiD

converted Ford fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This forum is full of documented data on CAI. The only real power adder is a Tune. I went with a JLT filter due to its longevity and not power gains.
Agree but those dynos have to be done with the same car, same stock tune only the difference in CAI used

OP
OP
AndreiD

AndreiD

converted Ford fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do you mean by longevity? Care to elaborate vs stock?

Sponsored

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
stock filter is disposable while aftermarket filters can be washed and reused.

PositiveGMotorworks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
In my experience trying the JLT it does not provide as much 'cold' air to the engine as the stock setup. The intake air temps were much higher with the JLT than the stock. The stock runs about 7 degrees higher than ambient air temp at speed. The JLT was around 20 degrees higher. Plus I didn't like the intake sound with it so I took it off.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Agree but those dynos have to be done with the same car, same stock tune only the difference in CAI used
You're not going to find anyone running a JLT intake on a stock tune, so the ability for a fair comparison is limited. You would need to run an aftermarket tune for the stock intake, and then a then a tune for the JLT written by the same tuner for a true comparison.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I was told, when inquiring about a tune, to just go ahead and skip the JLT for these...coming from a salesman, that was all i needed to know lol

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
I need to see dyno runs to believe anything regarding cold air intakes and gained performance.... Stock is already a cold air intake, pretty good at that.
People claiming performance gains after changing an air filter experience a pretty strong placebo effect.
Just my 2 cents.
Exactly and thank you!
I tried telling all the dumb fks on Facebook the same thing and they don't believe shit.

When I prototyped the ARH and catless x pipe, I also dynoed the JLT. 1rwhp gain. Period. That's telling me it's worth absolutely nothing. Don't fall for the trap. I have my JLT in the box in my garage. I actually like the oem look and fit better also. Plus if you have ford performance oil catch cans they bolt right up. And look oem.

What people fail to realize is the stock CAI is great and the problem is the throttle body is the restriction. Ford performance flaunted the idea of a 92 and 100mm TB for awhile but like always never delivered.

Sponsored

Bingo13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350R, '16 GT350 TRP, '18 GT PP2, '03 Cobra
Nothing against JLT as I use them on my other Cobras, but same day dyno at the tuner and the JLT netted 2HP gain on the top end, but under the curve the stock CAI was slightly better. The intake temps on my dyno day were about equal unlike others. I considered it a complete wash and kept the stock CAI and upgraded the filter.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
Nothing against JLT as I use them on my other Cobras, but same day dyno at the tuner and the JLT netted 2HP gain on the top end, but under the curve the stock CAI was slightly better. The intake temps on my dyno day were about equal unlike others. I considered it a complete wash and kept the stock CAI and upgraded the filter.
"BINGO"
Exactly!

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I don't mean to belittle even though it can sound that way over text on the internet, but am genuinely curious. What made people want to try or buy a different intake for this car? The stock intake is perhaps the largest, least restrictive, cold air intake I've seen on a stock car. The only reason I'd consider one is simply because I don't like the cheap look of the corrugated elbow.

OP
OP
AndreiD

AndreiD

converted Ford fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now what about the Ford Performance filter alone?

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
Now what about the Ford Performance filter alone? ��
The filter will be fine, just do not expect any power gains. The factory CAI is very efficient. The FP filter is made by Airade. People fail to realize that the stock CAI is not a restriction, the throttle body is. Some of us have dynoed our cars (including me) with aftermarket CAI and only seen 1-2 hp gains. The gains everyone are claiming are from the tune itself. I myself prefer the oem look.
Sponsored