Mike@KenneBell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
50 STATE LEGAL

Judging from the comments, I guess Kenne Bell needs to work on our presence with this forum. There appears to be some confusion on EO’s so I’ll start there. Yes, EO’s can be a little confusing. First, let me say that Kenne Bell does, in fact, have an EO for the ‘15-‘16 Mustang (CARB EO D-271-28 8/17/15) which supersedes our ‘11-‘14 5.0 D-271-18 1/31/11).

However, the EO D-271-28 supersedes the D-271-18 as we wanted all our ‘11-‘16 kits to be 50 State Legal with the big 168mm Mammoth Throttle Body. And now the entire line of rear inlet superchargers (2.8, 3.2, 3.6 and 4.2) are 50 Sate Legal on the ‘11-‘16 cars.

I might add that any CARB EO, particularly the higher emission standard and complex ‘15-‘16 Mustang 5.0 is a very expensive, complex and time consuming commitment for any supercharger company.

I have always had a lot of respect for Whipple – or any manufacturer who steps up and succeeds in calibrating and passing ‘15-‘16 Mustang emissions standards.

Since 1990, both Kenne Bell and Whipple have always spent the time and resources necessary to obtain 50 State Legal CARB Exemption Orders (also EPA legal). Lack of an EO can result in serious consequences for owners. We freely admit to spending 8 months perfecting the driveability and meeting emissions with our two 2015 Mustang test cars (auto and manual trans). The above might explain why some supercharger companies have not yet obtained EO’s or may never get one. Fortunately, Kenne Bell has always possessed the necessary in house equipment, calibration software, experience and personal to calibrate our own vehicles, or we wouldn’t be in this business today. Calibrating a late model Ford that wasn’t originally equipped with a supercharger is a daunting task for any company, OEM or aftermarket. And keep in mind that “calibration” is far more difficult than re-tuning or tweaking an OEM or aftermarket calibration for more HP (spark, fuel, etc).

What made calibration even more difficult for our 2011-16 kit family was the incorporation of the huge industry leading 168mm throttle body (stock is 83mm). It was the key to providing almost unlimited room to grow (approx. 1500HP) for our kits. Air flow/HP is always limited by the smallest component in the inlet system – the throttle body. Our goal was to design one basic high HP potential rear inlet kit with a minimum restriction 168 throttle body, external air cool air kit, intercooler and manifold capable of supporting 1500HP in competition form. And this over engineered “kit” would accept our full line of 50 State Legal superchargers (2.8, 3.2, 3.6, 4.0 and 4.2) making it relatively easy to upgrade or initially select a larger displacement supercharger for room to grow. There was no other option making calibration even more difficult. In either event, it is not necessary to purchase an expensive completely new kit. Only a supercharger upgrade is necessary. Even the standard bypass valve system is retained when upgrading.

Why has 50 State Legal become so important? More and more States are adopting California emissions standards. But they haven’t all adopted the “visual inspection” or “tailpipe testing” programs – yet. Example: If your car fails a visual inspection in California (supercharger kit, headers, cool air kit, etc.), you don’t get the registration or license plates renewed until the supercharger kit or illegal product(s) are removed. And the car can’t be sold or transferred until it is in compliance with the visual, tailpipe testing and ECM codes. They just flunked our old supercharged 1990 Mustang (after 26 years) because the EO sticker was missing on the supercharger. Be aware that both the EPA and/or CARB are clamping down on violators and assessing huge fines for the sale of illegal products. And if you attempt to cheat or circumvent the system – look at what’s happening to VW. They have both CARB (California) and the EPA prosecuting and fining them. So even if your State hasn’t yet adopted CARB emissions standards, testing or visual inspection, there may also be the EPA compliance to worry about in the future. We may be old fashioned, but I don’t look forward to ever placing Kenne Bell customers in either of these situations with our best selling kit. Also, neither Shelby, Saleen or any past car manufacturer will use a non 50 State Legal kit. And it’s expensive to remove a supercharger kit and convert it back to stock.

SHELBY SUPER SNAKES

Since 2007, Kenne Bell has been the #1 supplier of upgraded 2.8 and 3.6 50 State Legal Twin Screw kits for the 800-850HP Shelby Super Snakes. The ‘15-‘16 S302 730HP Black Label also selected the Kenne Bell 2.8. And yes, Shelby offers both a 2.9 Whipple and a 2.8 and now a big 3.2 Liquid Cooled Kenne Bell for their ‘15-‘15 Super Snakes. We believe their customers will more likely choose the largest SC with Liquid Cooling – our 3.2LC, just as the 5.4 and 5.8 Shelby Super Snake owners preferred the latest Kenne Bell 3.6LC over our 2.8 when it was introduced. And we are working on several new products. So, we are still as “active” as ever.

SUPERCHARGER SIZE

FWW, our 26 years in the Twin Screw business has taught us that most Mustang owners typically prefer “bigger.” Probably because Fords have become increasingly efficient and powerful every year since the early ‘90’s. That makes it increasingly difficult for a smaller supercharger to “keep up” or create boost/back pressure in the engine.

Since 1999, a huge part of our business has been upgrading and replacing the smaller less efficient (‘03-‘04 Cobra, Lightnings and ‘07-‘14 Shelby GT500’s) with 2.6-4.7 size superchargers. Looking back, our first 1990 5.0 kit used a 1.5L which was regarded as “big” for that particular engine and era. Over the years, we spent millions on the R&D of ever increasingly larger 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, 3.2, 3.6, 4.0 4.2 and 4.7 kit development. Whipple also refused to adapt to the less efficient Eatons. To this day, I don’t believe KB or Whipple is remotely interested in basing our futures on an undersized off the shelf OEM low cost one size fits all 2.3 rotor paks like so many other companies. Not that it isn’t a good little supercharger since they finally twisted the rotors like the Twin Screw. I believe it lacks both the image, size and HP potential that our 5.0 customers are looking for. KB customers simply prefer the larger 2L, 3L and 4L displacement rear inlet billet Twin Screw superchargers for their 5.0’s. That is the exact concept we will continue to focus on in the years to come. There will NEVER be a front inlet, TVS or cast supercharger ever come out of Kenne Bell. And yes, we are big on advertising our Liquid Cooling, 4x6 lobe rotors, larger SC’s and take KB 5.0 Mustang HP advantage on the dyno, 1/4 mile, Flying Mile, muscle car mfgs, records, etc. It’s what companies do i.e. promote the product advantages. And we work very hard at supplying factual dyno tests, tech info and FAQ’s on our website to support our claims so a potential buyer can make an intelligent decision. But in the future I guess I need to try harder to do a better job of communicating on this forum and supporting Travis.

Jim Bell
President
Kenne Bell Superchargers
Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Very informative and awesome to see your post. Although I've never owned a KB I can tell you I did always want one.

Most people know I am a die hard Whipple fan but I can honestly tell you there isn't another SC out there I would even consider from here on out besides Whipple & KB.

Awesome work

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
...and there it is. I'm happy with my Whipple purchase, but I have to be honest, I did not consider the Kenne Bell chargers because I did not know much about them. Between, this forum, Facebook, YouTube, and some information provided by the various aftermarket parts vendors, I only considered the centrifugal triplets, and the Whipple Kits.

Its good to see some fresh information about other options (even though I have already made my choice), and hopefully this will allow people that use the forums, vids, and social networking, the chance to make a decision in a more competitive environment.

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
We need another screamer like the 2.2L!

Sponsored

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
well, I was sold on whipple and now I don't know what I want.
I went through this decision with my terminator and it was tough. Phenominal products in both camps. Good luck!

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks for posting that, Jim..

Guys, you know our work at BW. You know we accept nothing less than perfection. There is a reason that we use Kenne Bell. Period. Jim Bell and the guys behind the scenes are doing some really amazing things. We are all going to work harder to get that out to you guys. We all understand the need to have info out there to make an informed decision. It's a big purchase.

You can have the biggest, baddest product on the planet... But if no one sees it, you might as well not have it at all. We've got the message, loud and clear. :)

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
well, I was sold on whipple and now I don't know what I want.
You can't go wrong either way.. Both are great products. If you would like to hear more about what we have to offer, I'd be happy to discuss with you privately.

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Great to finally see some solid information from Jim Bell for the KB's. I've personally bought 3 systems from KB over the past 20 years for Mustangs and have had 2 vortechs, a v-1 and a v-2. Kenne has always won my heart because of the instant torque and becuase I just like the way they look. Whipple won my heart this time around with the S550 becuase their product information was out their, and the happy Whipple heads on the forums. The biggest factor for me this time was the great in house tune Whipple provides that has OEM quality and drivability. Ease of installation coupled with OE appearance when installed was the other.

I still love the KB, and would like to know more about the calibration you offer with your kits.

1. How does the calibration get loaded/flashed, is their a tool or devise the customer uses to write it to the ECM or does the computer get sent to KB?

2. What power rated at RWH does your 2.8l kit put out with your KB calibration?

3. Does your calibration offers OEM drivability, without any hot or cold start issues.

4. Do you know of any other active forums for the S550 that have customer testimonials on these KB kits. Whipple here has so many happy customers running their calibration, and this is a testament to how well their product delivers.

Last edited:

sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
I remember back in the day I had my 2 valve motor with a 1.7 or 1.5 close to 400 at the tire non intercooled and I thought I was the man lol

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Great to finally see some solid information from Jim Bell for the KB's. I've personally bought 3 systems from KB over the past 20 years for Mustangs and have had 2 vortechs, a v-1 and a v-2. Kenne has always won my heart because of the instant torque and becuase I just like the way they look. Whipple won my heart this time around with the S550 becuase their product information was out their, and the happy Whipple heads on the forums. The biggest factor for me this time was the great in house tune Whipple provides that has OEM quality and drivability. Ease of installation coupled with OE appearance when installed was the other.

I still love the KB, and would like to know more about the calibration you offer with your kits.

1. How does the calibration get loaded/flashed, is their a tool or devise the customer uses to write it to the ECM or does the computer get sent to KB?

2. What power rated at RWH does your 2.8l kit put out with your KB calibration?

3. Does your calibration offers OEM drivability, without any hot or cold start issues.

4. Do you know of any other active forums for the S550 that have customer testimonials on these KB kits. Whipple here has so many happy customers running their calibration, and this is a testament to how well their product delivers.

The tune is developed in-house, and loaded onto a handheld device. It comes standard with the kit. You can also check DTC's and make tune revisions if KB updates anything in the future. No need to ship the PCM out.

The base 2.8LC kit makes 710hp, and varies from dyno to dyno, auto/manual, etc. Usually around 625-640whp on 91 octane at 9psi

The tune is absolutely perfect. It had to be in order to pass the high emissions standards to get a CARB approval. It has stock-like drive-ability, in cold or hot conditions.

We have quite a few dating back to December of 2014 on this site. I'm not really sure, as I'm only active on this forum and SVTP. Maybe Jim or Mike could chime in.

I can tell you that the systems we've installed both with KB's tune, and our own Lund tune are absolutely perfect. Our customers have posted here as well. Like I said earlier.. there's a reason that we're loyal to KB. ;)

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Glad to hear our other post has sparked some discussion! I look forward to hearing more about the KB and how it compares to the other SC options available!

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Thanks for the info Jim. I have always loved the sound of a KB Cobra!

[ame]
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.