Its spring time. Time to wake up your 350

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I came across an excellent video by one of our members. The title says it all.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Lol, unwrapping it like he didn't get in there and make engine sounds all winter.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Lol, unwrapping it like he didn't get in there and make engine sounds all winter.
I remember when the GT350 was new to me. I would be that guy who couldn't stay away from it. I would start it just to hear it, etc. Now, I'm more like @nmp1 , I would leave it until I could drive it.

One thing I noticed that he did in his video, and I do it to, is prime the oil after it has sat for a while. Unlike him, I usually go through two start cycles for oil priming. I do get oil pressure indication at the end of the first cycle, but I usually run it once more to push as much oil as I can.

I don't know how far the oil is pushed into the engine, but while it is being cranked by the starter, there is no load on the engine. By priming, you are at least getting the oil started along its path and while under zero load.

He makes good and informative videos.

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
Pulled mine out of the garage Sunday so I could rearrange motorcycles and snowmobiles.
I didn't drive it through as our streets are still full of sand and salt.
Felt good to at least hear it and feel the rumble!

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Lots of ways to look at this for sure. I feel like low rpm (starter rpm) also takes a little longer to get oil pressure going. On new engines, I've connected a pump sprayer with engine oil in it and left it pressurized until I saw oil at the top of the heads (cams and adjusters bubbling oil). Other than that, even with 1 season of sitting, there is an incredible amount of oil remaining in the engine. I just start it up. IMO, it would take a lot of sitting and very specific pre-existing issues to cause bearing scoring or anything like that after starting after 1 season of sitting. My biggest concern are surfaces with no bearings, like cam journals..and it takes a while if you're using the starter to get oil up that far.
Sponsored