Sponsored

Issues w/ Cops -- Long tube headers and after market cat back

Lightning Struck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue PP2
I have read that as well.... But I installed one on mine and it makes all the active exhaust modes work as they should, I wasnt planning to change the mufflers as I like the active ones. I have catless long tubes w/active exhaust. Its getting better and better everyday I drive it. I actually love the tone and think it sounds great. But everyone has their own opinion.
How are the other modes beside Normal?
Sponsored

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
I would say very comparable to having stock manifolds and cats with x or h pipe and active exhausts. However, when ya get on it, I think its louder. Deeper than an X but sounds great. Zero drone, zero rasp.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I was hoping nobody would say something like this.

I just moved to Baltimore from Georgia, and it’s a Front License plate state like Virginia. It seems these front license plate states are more “stuffy” with their rules.

This is my only vehicle and I don’t have money to constantly be dealing with that sort of thing.

Might have to say no to it, dang.

When I was stock and I saw videos of guys with long tubes and cats I always thought it was way too loud myself. Now I’ve got aftermarket cats and it just doesn’t do it for me like I thought it would, welp.
To be fair, Virginia is probably the worst state for car enthusiasts. They have incredibly harsh penalties for speeding and you could easily land in jail at speeds that I would consider "cruising speed" here in Texas.

As far as cop trouble: every state is different. Some state's laws are designed to make your life hell if you swap to headers. You also have to factor in emissions testing for state inspections. Headers are almost always an instant fail, and some states are making it much harder to bypass these emissions tests. So if you want to pass that, it usually means swapping your stock manifolds back on come inspection time (which would be a total PITA).

As far as sound, most header/cat back combos are relatively tame at low rpm, so it's easy to stay out of trouble there. Just know that when you do open it up, you are making your presence known to every LEO in a half mile radius.

Also, if you leave for work early in the morning, be considerate to your neighbors and come up with a solution for a quieter cold start.