Issues w/ Cops -- Long tube headers and after market cat back

JayAction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Question for those of you with LTH and after market cat backs, do you guys have problems with cops? Is this set up too much for a daily?

I'm looking to install either Corsa or MBRP long tube headers with my MBRP Race cat back. I have active exhaust.

I live in apartments right now, but I'm not really caring about my neighbors as I don't generally leave until about 9 in the morning.
Sponsored

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Catless long tubes with an X pipe in normal mode is like stock manifolds with cats and n x pipe in track mode times 100. Lol. I added a magnaflow true x resonator and all is great with the active exhaust

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
LT's and O/R catback will be loud, it is somewhat controllable by the right foot.

I have LT's and O/R Outlaw's on my 2018,, I punched it going between a row of buildings .. and didn't see a local cop sitting at a gas station and he pulled in behind me as I was parking ...

He was a younger guy and just said "That cars kinda LOUD isn't it?" ..

I said it could be louder .. He went his way, and I went to eat.

I leave for work some days at 0430 and I thought I'd be nice and install a pair of 3" resonators to try and quieten it down after my neighbor rented out his house down the road from me and they had a new baby, but they really didn't do much.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Agreed LTH and after market exhaust can be loud but you can keep it quieter if needed, just lay off the fun pedal.
3 setups I've had without issues (other than just being self conscience on cold starts due to neighbors):
ARH catted LTH into Corsa Xtremes.
ARH catted LTH into Corsa double x into Vibrant resonators in Xtreme mufflers.
ARH catted LTH into Corsa double X into AWE Touring mufflers.

All loud. But all can be mild if laying off the gas when appropriate. And yes this is my DD.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
cold starts are gonna be loud af but dont last very long so that part is tolerable. i had LTH o/r x and roush abs and it sounded like i was wot everywhere i went. threw the magnaflow resonated x on and its much tamer but gets loud in upper rpm. personally never had issues with cops. even with the old set up but in NV they dont really care about exhaust. i go back and forth to cali every so often and never had issues there either.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Question for those of you with LTH and after market cat backs, do you guys have problems with cops? Is this set up too much for a daily?

I'm looking to install either Corsa or MBRP long tube headers with my MBRP Race cat back. I have active exhaust.

I live in apartments right now, but I'm not really caring about my neighbors as I don't generally leave until about 9 in the morning.
Honestly, like said above, the cold starts are the loudest part besides WOT. If you have active exhaust, you should be golden though. Just leave it in quiet mode when starting the car lol.

I have LTHs, X-pipe, high-flow cats, and Roush mufflers. Basically the loudest setup you can get that still has cats and mufflers attached. It's ear piercing on cold start from right behind the car. After warm up, she purrs like a kitten until WOT when she screams like a lion. I do recommend resonators like stated above to take the edge off. They clean up(refine) the harshness of the exhaust notes at certain ranges and lower the overall volume a tad the same way as well.

Edit: No issues at all with the police. At a stoplight, I even had a cop tell me it sounded good. Of course, when you go WOT, you can be heard from a good distance away lol.

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
I just installed a set of cat less 1 7/8" with a full 3" exhaust setup. I wanted to keep the volume down so I installed one of these (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-mf2468 - I actually installed the MF2469 which is the 3" one, but the pic of the muffler summit uses for that part number is wrong). This has an internal X-pipe and I installed it where the factory resonator goes. At idle it is louder than stock for sure, but not that much so. Driving with it, once you are cruise speed, not much louder there as well. Very easy to have a conversation with someone in passenger seat. Get on it though and its loud as hell. To me it is best of both worlds. Magnaflow sells something similar called the Tru-X I think, but this is significantly cheaper.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Most reviews I have seen on this one specifically people have not liked due to it killing tone completely.
I have read that as well.... But I installed one on mine and it makes all the active exhaust modes work as they should, I wasnt planning to change the mufflers as I like the active ones. I have catless long tubes w/active exhaust. Its getting better and better everyday I drive it. I actually love the tone and think it sounds great. But everyone has their own opinion.

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
I have read that as well.... But I installed one on mine and it makes all the active exhaust modes work as they should, I wasnt planning to change the mufflers as I like the active ones. I have catless long tubes w/active exhaust. Its getting better and better everyday I drive it. I actually love the tone and think it sounds great. But everyone has their own opinion.
I'm the same, I'm really happy with my setup. The noise volume was a big concern for me, which may be different for others. To each their own.

Sponsored

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I have full free flowing exhaust on both my cars and have never had an issue with the cops. The key is picking the right mufflers. If you have headers with the stock catback or something tamer like the magnaflow street or corsa sport catback, you will be fine. It only gets loud at WOT and cold starts. You have headers and pair it with something like the corsa extreme or roush, you are going to be obnoxiously loud. Really all depends on how the cops are where you live. some places are more lenient than others. Also if you have active exhaust that is probably the best option since you can make it loud when you want it, and quiet when you don't.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
It depends on where you live...

When I lived in Northern Virginia, the police used it as an easy money-maker. A typical scenario was to pull you over, ticket you for a loud exhaust, declare that the car was undriveable in its current condition and call for an impound tow. $$$$$

OP
OP
JayAction

JayAction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
It depends on where you live...

When I lived in Northern Virginia, the police used it as an easy money-maker. A typical scenario was to pull you over, ticket you for a loud exhaust, declare that the car was undriveable in its current condition and call for an impound tow. $$$$$
I was hoping nobody would say something like this.

I just moved to Baltimore from Georgia, and it’s a Front License plate state like Virginia. It seems these front license plate states are more “stuffy” with their rules.

This is my only vehicle and I don’t have money to constantly be dealing with that sort of thing.

Might have to say no to it, dang.

When I was stock and I saw videos of guys with long tubes and cats I always thought it was way too loud myself. Now I’ve got aftermarket cats and it just doesn’t do it for me like I thought it would, welp.

vincentjm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vincent
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT PP
Well, I'm from Switzerland and run Corsa longtubes and catback.
Given that Switzerland isn't a big fan of modified cars (almost impossible to legally modify your cars here), I had my car impounded and de-registered three times now. Pain in the ass.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Well, I'm from Switzerland and run Corsa longtubes and catback.
Given that Switzerland isn't a big fan of modified cars (almost impossible to legally modify your cars here), I had my car impounded and de-registered three times now. Pain in the ass.
Wow that ain't right...
Sponsored