Sponsored

Issue with third brake light water leak.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium, Performance Pack GT
I'm having a large water leak come through the bottom of the third brake light. Does anybody know what it take to remove it. I removed the 4 bolts under it but it wont budge. Who in here has removed the third brake light? I'm wondering if the guys that wrapped my roof glued it on :frusty:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium, Performance Pack GT
There is two sided tape

[/url][/IMG]
It seems that I'm going to have to use a heat gun. Thanks for telling me about the double sided adhesive. I appreciate it :thumbsup:

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
I keep having an issue with this it got replaced under warranty and now a few weeks later I still have the issue

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic, 2011 Nissan quest
I have a water leak from this also. Looks like the left side is a bit higher but not by much. When you press it it definitely moves and when water gets in that area it starts to leak.
Any solutions other than replacing? i just had my back glass resealed as i thought this was the issue
Thanks

Sponsored

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would anyone happen to have any instructions on how to remove this?
Thanks

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@DickR
Can you re-provide your image or pdf that was previously posted? The link or image is broke.

I’ll try to help the best I can without a visual.

The interior headliner at the rear of the car is secured to the ceiling by magnets.

Pull down on the rear of the headliner to expose the fasteners that secure the 3rd brake light to the body. I believe you can also see or be able to unplug the harness to it as well once the headliner is pulled down.

To remove it from the body, it’s going to take some heat and a little muscle.

On days below 60*:
From the exterior of the car, you can use a hairdryer (or heat gun) to aid in the removal. Get as close as you can to the assembly, pass it evenly side to side to warm it.

On hot days (70+):
Let the car bake in the sun.

IF using a heat gun, be very careful not to melt the assembly!! Heat guns are way hotter than a hair dryer and can melt or warp plastic.

After heating, you will need to use a little force and a plastic pry tool - one that can be carefully wedged under the 3rd brake light. Once you get it under there, wriggle it between body and brake light in a side to side motion to break free the adhesive.

Pull up on it at the same time you’re also using the pry tool.

After removing the assembly, try to remove all of the old adhesive on body and underside of the assembly. Use rubbing alcohol to do a final cleanse of the underside of the assembly and the body.

Apply new double backed adhesive to assembly. If you have some, I would apply a light layer of black silicone onto the body where the assembly will be seated. NOT a thick layer, because it will squeeze out everywhere once you reinstall the assembly AND it will prevent the assembly from sitting flush.

Hope that is helpful - and anyone feel free to revise or correct the above.

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Cobra Jet. This was most helpful.

I was able to find one at a somewhat local ford dealer but their cost was $110. I could get it from tascaparts for $68 but there was shipping involved. I asked if they could price match and I was able to get it for $82 out the door. It was 40 miles round trip but I am not complaining as it was 40 miles in the mustang, :like:

IMG_6128.jpg

This was the old one. It broke coming out but this car, had prior hail damage so I am sure it got cracked by the hail.
It was about 70 degrees and cool so when I undid the 4 bolts I was going to leave it till midday when things would heat up but I was surprised how relatively easy it came out. Some prying but not nearly as much as I was expecting.

IMG_6129.jpg

This is how it looked removed.

IMG_6130.jpg

I cleaned it out and double checked as there was a thin plastic film where the double sided tape held on.

IMG_6131.jpg

The new one with the double sided tape

IMG_6132.jpg

IMG_6133.jpg

This is how I did the silicone as an added precaution. not too thick but enough to create a seal around those openings.

IMG_6135.jpg

After bolting everything in I went and did a small once over on the small plastic tabs that come through the metal. This is where water was coming from originally.

I bolted up and soaked it to make sure no water was coming in. Only time will tell if I fully got it, :giggle:

IMG_6134.jpg
IMG_6136.jpg

What I did notice is that it does not sit completely flush. The driver side is just a tad bit higher. Harder to see now but it is not even.
Also, the pointy ends are still raised on both sides so water can still penetrate. I believe that is normal but ford should have designed one for the curves of this car and not try to use the same part from the fusion. I know it's a cost savings thing but it's not a flush fit
I am expecting a thunderstorm or two tomorrow so fingers cross I don't open the door to find a swimming pool in the car, :cwl::cwl::crackup:

Thanks again Cobra Jet for replying and i hope this helps someone else
Thanks

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I don't know if this is the image I posted above which has disappeared from the post and from my memory but here is an image of the stoplight removal from the 2015 FSM.
2015-Mustang-High-Mounted-Stoplamp.jpg

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reporting back, after quite a few storms here no leaks so far
Thanks to all for your input

Reactions: Yan

Sponsored

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Performance pack
Just found that I have the same issue. Had the rear window replaced too.

How is this holding up by the way? Anymore leaking issues?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathaniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
could this be the reason for my rear seatbelts getting wet? I am getting condensation in the 3rd brake light when I wash it or it rains. Wondering if they could be related.

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It could be possible. I thought my leak was from the rear window as it traveled along the headliner towards the corner of the car. Best to let someone run some water over the light and sit in the backseat pull the rear of the headliner down a little and you should see where it is coming from.

Last edited:

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Performance pack
Blade this is exactly what happened to me. When I pulled the middle of the headliner it turned out to be wet too.

Arches. I was also getting condensation in the brake light but didn’t think anything of it. I would definitely put some water on the brake light, sit in the back, and watch for a few minutes.

I fixed mine last week. Got a new one and put it on, along with some silicone on the outside and inside. Took about an hour and a half and cost $70 altogether.

An annoying problem but pretty easy to fix
Sponsored