Sponsored

Is this the exhaust leak I’ve been chasing?

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
I’m sure some of you guys have seen my other posts about my exhaust sounding strange since I got my h pipe. I thought it was all good and dandy being welded but I come across this when I spray it with soapy water shortly after the car being cold for a bit. You can see the water being shot in all different directions.

is this small leak really what could change the entire sound of my car? Curious! Thanks
Sponsored

Sponsored

OP
OP

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
That’s def a leak. I would fix that first then reevaluate the situation after.
Do you think that’s what could be making the noise I’m hearing while low rpms? Would it be that huge of a problem to change the tone?

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Do you think that’s what could be making the noise I’m hearing while low rpms? Would it be that huge of a problem to change the tone?
I mean, it’s obviously not correct. It very well could be the problem and is at least in the related system to the problem. It needs to be fixed anyway, so best course of action is to fix the obvious defect and see where things stand. Always go for the low hanging fruit first when diagnosing a problem - don’t make it more complicated than it needs to be.

OP
OP

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
I mean, it’s obviously not correct. It very well could be the problem and is at least in the related system to the problem. It needs to be fixed anyway, so best course of action is to fix the obvious defect and see where things stand. Always go for the low hanging fruit first when diagnosing a problem - don’t make it more complicated than it needs to be.
Cool, I think I’m gonna go back tomorrow and see what they’ll do.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sure some of you guys have seen my other posts about my exhaust sounding strange since I got my h pipe. I thought it was all good and dandy being welded but I come across this when I spray it with soapy water shortly after the car being cold for a bit. You can see the water being shot in all different directions.

is this small leak really what could change the entire sound of my car? Curious! Thanks
Why did you have it welded in the first place? Most likely, you’re seeing pinholes from not so welds leaking.

Seriously doubt they will change the exhaust note at all...

FWI for the water leak, he is spraying the pipe with soapy water :computerrage:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
Why did you have it welded in the first place? Most likely, you’re seeing pinholes from not so welds leaking.

I had it welded because it was originally clamped, and I figured it was leaking. I love the way the car sounds except this issue which I didn’t have with an x pipe previously that was also welded. I welded it because I figured that would take care of the problem, obviously this issue was not fixed with a weld and it is still leaking. Something I’m hearing is not right, and I hate it.

OP
OP

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.

Also it’s not the tone, but it’s like a whistling, or like condensation stuck in the pipes kind of noise.

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
I still don't hear anything abnormal

also you could have just bumped your original post. not sure why this warranted a new thread.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I had it welded because it was originally clamped, and I figured it was leaking. I love the way the car sounds except this issue which I didn’t have with an x pipe previously that was also welded. I welded it because I figured that would take care of the problem, obviously this issue was not fixed with a weld and it is still leaking. Something I’m hearing is not right, and I hate it.
"That was also welded." Reading this, I can offer up a better idea of what could be going on.

I don't know the shop, but if the X pipe was not cut clean & the H was butt welded using multiple tack welds. Getting a good seal around 4 tubes, takes some talent & time.

Clamped would have offered a better seal, WHY the tubes overlap and when clamped seals the system.

That said and being hindsight, how to fix. You could go back and they ?maybe? Can get it sealed.

Another thing to consider would be, the use of exhaust wrap around the leaking welds. The noise, is it a hissing or whistle type? The wrap should knock that down. I suggest the wrap, cause if it does not work it is removable for another solution.

Would not use any quick fix muffle goop or putty type of product, the wrap is the better way to go.

Pictured is the wrap I write about, used to keep the rear gear oil temp in check.

Screen Shot 2023-12-14 at 12.22.31 AM.png

Questions, clarity... just ping me ........... cheers

OP
OP

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
I still don't hear anything abnormal

also you could have just bumped your original post. not sure why this warranted a new thread.
Idk man something doesn’t sound right. I just feel like they get lost; and it’s easier to make a new one with a new video. I apologize.
Sponsored