Sponsored

Is there a video/instructions for timing cover R&R?

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
My engine has the common oil leak at the passenger side front engine cover. The redneck fix of cleaning the bolts and putting thread sealer on them did not fix and I still have a leak. I got quoted $1,250 from a local shop to do the complete job of R&R the front timing cover and resealing it, and I can tell it does look like quite a project to take on.

I am now retired and have the time to do this myself to save the money but cannot find anywhere online through several different word search tries to learn how to do it. Does anyone have a link or source with a step-by-step guide?
Sponsored

ninjacoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
Deleted. Didn’t realize this was an EcoBoost you were asking about

Last edited:

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Your best bet would be to get a copy of the factory service manual, it has excellent step by step instructions. You'll also need to get a set of timing tools for the engine as there are no keyways on the crank or cams, and the crank position sensor requires a tool to properly set it.

OP
OP

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
How can a non-Ford employee get a copy of the service manual? In the old days I could buy a Chilton's but evidently they don't have one for 2015+ Mustangs; at least I could not find one online.

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I was able to purchase a DVD from Ford for my 2016. As I recall, it was around $190-200. I'm not sure if it's still available.. Factory-manuals.com shows availability, I think its a pdf download..
Ebay is also a possibility.
You may be able to get a diy account at Alldata or some other online repair manual source..

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
Alldata.com sells yearly and multi year subscriptions for manuals and Helms.com is the official supplier for ford manuals to dealers and individuals, they have service and electrical manuals that will run you around 300 bucks.

You may find ones on Ebay in either CD format or PDF download.

I got one from Ebay for 40 bucks that is pretty decent and then lucked out back in May of 2022 when Alldata had a three year subscription sale for 60 bucks which filled the gaps of the eBay CD.

The Ebay seller is no longer showing to have the mustang CD for sale.

Good luck.

BD

Last edited:

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
How can a non-Ford employee get a copy of the service manual? In the old days I could buy a Chilton's but evidently they don't have one for 2015+ Mustangs; at least I could not find one online.
Pm me your email, YMM and Vin and I will ask my friend at the local dealer to send me the procedure for removing and reinstalling the cover.

OP
OP

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Pm me your email, YMM and Vin and I will ask my friend at the local dealer to send me the procedure for removing and reinstalling the cover.
Many thanks! PM sent

OP
OP

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I got the applicable service manual section from @DougS550 and greatly appreciate his help. I did not realize the amount of timing considerations and significantly extra work this job entailed. I may just pay to get it done after all. Thanks to everyone for their help and links.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I got the applicable service manual section from @DougS550 and greatly appreciate his help. I did not realize the amount of timing considerations and significantly extra work this job entailed. I may just pay to get it done after all. Thanks to everyone for their help and links.
It's definitely not a good ole small block chevy timing cover reseal job for sure.
:frown:

Just do your research on who you choose to do the work to ensure they also have the skills and tools to accomplish the job properly.

BD

Sponsored
OP
OP

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Yeah I'll be using a very highly rated local place - but I live close to the beach, so labor hours are not cheap here: the local Ford stealership bills at $199/hr and I believe this place is $149/hr... I now see why they will charge me $1250 to do the job. I am still in sticker shock over hourly labor rates nowadays.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I have three dealers within 30 miles of me and their labor rates are 165, 185 and 190 last I checked, not sure but most local independent shops are 140 or so. Back when I was a tech in Caddy dealer it was 75 an hour but that was 1998.

BD
Sponsored