Sponsored

Is the Procharger HO kit CARB legal yet?

ALL4SQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium
Won't be possible as the CARB certification requires using a stock airbox, which those kits are not compatible with. Hence the new CARB approved kit relocates the blower to the front of the motor.
Would it be possible to take the CARB legal setup shown in the picture and install a smaller pulley, bigger injectors, boost a pump and a different tune and get a stage II CARB cert?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rubedog

Rubedog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Magnetic 5.0 Redline Recaro
Won't be possible as the CARB certification requires using a stock airbox, which those kits are not compatible with. Hence the new CARB approved kit relocates the blower to the front of the motor.
It seems this is 100% accurate.
But I must say I’m disappointed with Procharger, as the single biggest reason I went with their kit was because they promised my kit would eventually be CARB certified. Every few months since early 2015 I would reach out to them and they would tell me that it was in the works and for me not to worry since I had plenty of time because I wouldn’t need a smog for 5 years anyway. Fast forward to today, now I’m told I’m shit out of luck and the CARB certification only applies to the new kit. I feel like I just got a $7k kick in the nuts. I guess that’s what I get for being an early adopter and dealing with a years worth of bad tunes that caused surging that I ultimately had to pay Lund to fix. Thanks Procharger! Rant over.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Since CARB cert requires the use of a closed air intake box, my expectation was that perhaps they would have designed a closed air box that would have fit in the space behind the bumper, so that existing kits could be retrofitted with the CARB approved intake.

Instead they have designed a completely different kit. Didn't see that one coming! Definitely a tough pill to swallow for those Procharger owners who had been told CARB approval was in the works for the current HO and Stage 2 kits.

Last edited:

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Since CARB cert requires the use of a closed air intake box, my expectation was that perhaps they would have designed a closed air box that would have fit in the space behind the bumper, so that existing kits could be retrofitted with the CARB approved intake.
Tim, you pretty much nailed it....

Thanks to a massive blunder (VW/Audi) and now moving to LV3 "ultra low emissions" standards a LOT has changed.

Things that we already had the "approval" to move forward with, were deemed no longer valid, and last min changes had to be made. (like going from our fender airbox, back to the factory airbox)

That being said, the "dust has settled" so to speak, and there is a MUCH clearer path on what will be expected going forward for all aftermarket companies, and changes that involve exhaust, fuel stuff, airboxes, tunes, etc.

Definitely a tough pill to swallow for those Procharger owners who had been told CARB approval was in the works for the current HO and Stage 2 kits.

I know that NOBODY was ever promised that their kit was going to be approved... and when I was asked "Are you working on an EO number"... even I replied with "yes, we are actively working on it" ... or something to that effect. Which is a 100% true statement.

Lord knows how fast laws can change, by no means should one ever assume that an older item will be made legal (or stay legal). Stuff is changing so quickly now its wild. Its no longer the wild wild west of the 1990's anymore.

And that goes for ANY aftermarket part you buy...
Down to a "cold air intake" these days.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Would it be possible to take the CARB legal setup shown in the picture and install a smaller pulley, bigger injectors, boost a pump and a different tune and get a stage II CARB cert?
Sure you can change all of that...

However, just like ANY other forced induction company that has an EO... once you touch ANYTHING (pulley, tune, injectors) and make changes, the EO number is no longer valid and you have committed a federal crime.

By "tampering with an emissions system" (in a nutshell)

Sponsored

ALL4SQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium
Sure you can change all of that...

However, just like ANY other forced induction company that has an EO... once you touch ANYTHING (pulley, tune, injectors) and make changes, the EO number is no longer valid and you have committed a federal crime.

By "tampering with an emissions system" (in a nutshell)
I wasn't saying that I would change anything. I was asking if Procharger could create a Stage II CARB legal kit. I wont put anything on my car that isn't emissions legal.

The new HO CARB legal Kit is perfect for me. As soon as it hits the market I will be all over it. :)

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
I wasn't saying that I would change anything. I was asking if Procharger could create a Stage II CARB legal kit. I wont put anything on my car that isn't emissions legal.

The new HO CARB legal Kit is perfect for me. As soon as it hits the market I will be all over it. :)
We have some GM stuff to get through first....

Then once thats over we will circle back around to a higher boost kit, and larger injectors. But literally ZERO ETA as to when that would be. :)

Thanks for the question... sorry for misunderstanding.

OP
OP
Rubedog

Rubedog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I’ve been doing some pre-liminary research, and it seems items sold to customers in CA that are not emissions compliant should be labeled as off road use only if they are not CARB compliant. Anyone have any input or further information in regards to this? I only ask because my goal was to be 100% emissions compliant and spent the money buying a full kit vs a tuner kit for that simple reason. So at this point I’m just looking for a solution that will allow me to keep my car boosted without spending anymore money and maintaining emissions compliance.

Last edited:

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
So I’ve been doing some pre-liminary research, and it seems items sold to customers in CA that are not emissions compliant should be labeled as off road use only if they are not CARB compliant. Anyone have any input or further information in regards to this?

Most performance parts online stores have a disclaimer that says 'intended for off road use only unless otherwise specified'.

Basically, if its not labelled as CARB certified, then assume it is not legal in California. Some companies, such as Roush, will not ship to California if you try to buy a non-CARB legal product. I tried to purchase a set of their Roush headers (manufactured by Kooks, but under the brand name Roush), and they declined the sale due to my shipping address being in Cali.

If you are keeping the car long enough to see its first SMOG test, either a) find a smog guy who will pass you through for a fee or b) consider selling your non-CARB kit in the future and switching to Whipple/KB/Vortech/Paxton/Procharger with their CARB legal kits.

Sucks to have to consider those options, but the current HO kits and Stage 2 kits will never get that golden CARB stamp of approval.

OP
OP
Rubedog

Rubedog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most performance parts online stores have a disclaimer that says 'intended for off road use only unless otherwise specified'.

Basically, if its not labelled as CARB certified, then assume it is not legal in California. Some companies, such as Roush, will not ship to California if you try to buy a non-CARB legal product. I tried to purchase a set of their Roush headers (manufactured by Kooks, but under the brand name Roush), and they declined the sale due to my shipping address being in Cali.

If you are keeping the car long enough to see its first SMOG test, either a) find a smog guy who will pass you through for a fee or b) consider selling your non-CARB kit in the future and switching to Whipple/KB/Vortech/Paxton/Procharger with their CARB legal kits.

Sucks to have to consider those options, but the current HO kits and Stage 2 kits will never get that golden CARB stamp of approval.
I’m just annoyed and frustrated because I was mislead and strung along being told not to worry, and that it would be legal by the time I needed to smog it. The way I see it, I have $7k invested in this kit and it will cost me that much and more to start over. I’m stubborn enough where I’ll compile all my communication and consider my options. All I want is for Procharger to comply with one of 2 requests. Provide me the updated brackets or provide me the carb sticker and I’ll fab my own and use my OE air box. But they refuse to do either.

Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I’m just annoyed and frustrated because I was mislead and strung along being told not to worry, and that it would be legal by the time I needed to smog it. The way I see it, I have $7k invested in this kit and it will cost me that much and more to start over. I’m stubborn enough where I’ll compile all my communication and consider my options. All I want is for Procharger to comply with one of 2 requests. Provide me the updated brackets or provide me the carb sticker and I’ll fab my own and use my OE air box. But they refuse to do either.

I have to say that I do agree with you. Back in Xmas 2016, I made phone calls to Vortech and Procharger to gather information regarding the CARB approval, and whether or not that was going to be issued, and on what timeline. Both companies advised me that it was 'In Progress' and ETA was 2017 for the approval. I saw no reason to doubt either manufacturer, and purchased the Procharger kit because I liked the simplicity of install.

Fast forward to April 2017, and Vortech got the CARB approval. At that point I was thinking 'Great, Procharger must be getting theirs soon aswell!'

The question has been raised about the Procharger CARB certification numerous times this year, and the response was 'we are working on it'. At no point did they ever say 'Just FYI, we are desgning a completely different specific CARB legal kit, and the current HO and Stage 2 kits will not be certified'. Designing a completely new kit doesn't just happen overnight, so they have chosen to keep this project under wraps. You can make your own decision why they kept this under wraps. I am not going to speculate on the reasoning, although it is pretty obvious why.

I don't see them offering any kind of conversion kit for current kit owners, as the complete kit is different. Best plan of action would be to sell your current kit, re-coup around $4k selling the kit, then purchase a kit that has the CARB certification. Yes, it would cost $2k-$3k to switch, but you could treat it is as an opportunity to upgrade set ups, if that was the route you chose. Wish I had more advice for you, but I don't see Procharger helping you out on this one.

OP
OP
Rubedog

Rubedog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have to say that I do agree with you. Back in Xmas 2016, I made phone calls to Vortech and Procharger to gather information regarding the CARB approval, and whether or not that was going to be issued, and on what timeline. Both companies advised me that it was 'In Progress' and ETA was 2017 for the approval. I saw no reason to doubt either manufacturer, and purchased the Procharger kit because I liked the simplicity of install.

Fast forward to April 2017, and Vortech got the CARB approval. At that point I was thinking 'Great, Procharger must be getting theirs soon aswell!'

The question has been raised about the Procharger CARB certification numerous times this year, and the response was 'we are working on it'. At no point did they ever say 'Just FYI, we are desgning a completely different specific CARB legal kit, and the current HO and Stage 2 kits will not be certified'. Designing a completely new kit doesn't just happen overnight, so they have chosen to keep this project under wraps. You can make your own decision why they kept this under wraps. I am not going to speculate on the reasoning, although it is pretty obvious why.

I don't see them offering any kind of conversion kit for current kit owners, as the complete kit is different. Best plan of action would be to sell your current kit, re-coup around $4k selling the kit, then purchase a kit that has the CARB certification. Yes, it would cost $2k-$3k to switch, but you could treat it is as an opportunity to upgrade set ups, if that was the route you chose. Wish I had more advice for you, but I don't see Procharger helping you out on this one.
Yeah, I don’t see them helping me either but I saved all communication with Procharger. Thanks for the solid advice.

Last edited:

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Can someone tell me what the difference is in some of these states,I've never been to emissions and asked to show a carb certification for my car that is modified.As long as it will pass the emissions test and all monitor's are good,that's it!!!.Are u guys referring to inspection that u would have done like if u were selling the car???

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Can someone tell me what the difference is in some of these states,I've never been to emissions and asked to show a carb certification for my car that is modified.As long as it will pass the emissions test and all monitor's are good,that's it!!!.Are u guys referring to inspection that u would have done like if u were selling the car???
It comes up at yearly smog tests that are required to register your car every year.
I’m in Nevada and we basically have the California emissions testing minus the CARB requirement. The test machine is plugged into the OBD2 connector and the test verifies there are no “pending” or “hard” trouble codes and that all the monitors have verified the different systems have passed readiness testing. My state allows one of the monitors to be “non-ready”, but all others must be ready.
California takes this one step further and requires any aftermarket stuff under the hood have a CARB certification and they do a visual inspection to verify before allowing a “pass”.
Sponsored