Sponsored

Is Magneride worth it? (Magneride explained)

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Are you selling your RS? I was on the RS forum and was all ready to buy but a last minute ADM on a delivered car kept me from buying. Glad I waited to order a 2018 Mustang GTPP2.

You didn't even give us a mini review. At least give us some pics!
It has been a busy week with the family in town. I will post up something next week.
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
As I have said in the other thread, magneride is a must have option. Specially if you like to travel long distances or road trip. Then turn it up for the track or summer days.

MagneRide is the reason I am getting a 2018 Mustang.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Although I have not driven a S550 other than my 350 I can say compared to my 13 GT and 13 GT500 it is night and day. The amount of confidence and control you get is incredible.

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Although I have not driven a S550 other than my 350 I can say compared to my 13 GT and 13 GT500 it is night and day. The amount of confidence and control you get is incredible.
To be fair, the IRS makes a significant difference as well. Going from my 2013 GT to my 2016 GT (no Magneride obviously) was night and day too. I remember turning the 2016 at maybe 8-10mph in the parking lot and going “whoa” compared to the floatiness and bounce in my 2013. :lol:

I mentioned in another thread, I’ve test driven three 2018 GTs so far, one non-PP 401a without Magneride, a PP 401a without Magneride, and lastly a PP 400a with Magneride (which I would have driven home if it had the 401a package). You can certainly feel the difference with the magneride, imo - just feels smoother in normal mode, and when switching to the drag mode I could feel the entire front-end just hunker down. :D

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I suspect the "worth" here is greatly dependent on where you live. In South Carolina, the roads are fairly smooth. I find my stock 16 stock PP suspension quite compliant and comfortable over our roads. Michigan roads on the other hand are total shit....which very well might make the magneride suspension worth the price of admission.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suspect the "worth" here is greatly dependent on where you live. In South Carolina, the roads are fairly smooth. I find my stock 16 stock PP suspension quite compliant and comfortable over our roads. Michigan roads on the other hand are total shit....which very well might make the magneride suspension worth the price of admission.
Body roll occurs on turns regardless of the smoothness. Magneride helps to lower body roll in addition to correcting against uneven roads. :)

Last edited:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Body roll occurs on turns regardless of the smoothness. Magneride helps to lower body roll in addition to correcting against uneven roads. :)
I didn't say you wouldn't be able to feel the difference. This thread is about the "worth" of magneride. Those living in states with shitty roads will value magneride much more than those living in the south with great roads. There is much more value to be had with the ability to dampen out road irregularities than any performance increase. If I still lived in Michigan, I would strongly consider magenride. Living in South Carolina, I would much rather spend the extra money on other items.

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't say you wouldn't be able to feel the difference. This thread is about the "worth" of magneride. Those living in states with shitty roads will value magneride much more than those living in the south with great roads. There is much more value to be had with the ability to dampen out road irregularities than any performance increase. If I still lived in Michigan, I would strongly consider magenride. Living in South Carolina, I would much rather spend the extra money on other items.
You’re right, you did not say it, hence my post. :D :p
The worth comes down to a preference beyond irregular roads is what I’m stating. It can help and change the experience for the better even on perfect, unsullied, roads. For example, for me personally, the lessened body roll and it’s ability to keep the front end hunkered down on a launch is worth the cost of admission alone, beyond creating a smoother ride on irregular roads - because honestly, a non-PP car with no magneride likely has a better “cushier” ride quality than a PP car equipped with the magneride, as it’s using the same stiffer PP shocks afaik. :)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Be careful.

Dampers don't control steady-state amounts of roll, as they only affect transient behaviors (while the suspension is still moving).

That said, better dampers (better via any technology) can affect your perception of roll and the time it takes for the chassis to take a set, and they would reduce any tendency for the car to "overshoot" its steady-state roll angle.

Norm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful.

Dampers don't control steady-state amounts of roll, as they only affect transient behaviors (while the suspension is still moving).

That said, better dampers (better via any technology) can affect your perception of roll and the time it takes for the chassis to take a set, and they would reduce any tendency for the car to "overshoot" its steady-state roll angle.

Norm
Bingo.

Sponsored

maddawg57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Premium PP GT
It's worth it while it's under warranty , gets pricey to fix if its not .

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Be careful.

Norm
I don't think your assumptions are correct.

Magneride dampers DO have the capability of preventing a car from rolling in a steady state turning situation. If the system is programmed to prevent body roll, it can do that.

Magneride isn't tricking the driver into perceiving things that aren't happening. Magneride changes the dynamic behavior of the car.

After owning a 2015 GT and then owning a GT350, the best part of the GT350 in my opinion is the control of the car's body motions. On/off the brakes or gas, turning, etc. the body of the car doesn't move around nearly as much. And all that body control happens with spring rates that are relatively low. So rather than needing a stiff ride in order to control the body motions, a Magneride car can have both a (relatively) soft ride and well controlled pitch/roll motions.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think your assumptions are correct.

Magneride dampers DO have the capability of preventing a car from rolling in a steady state turning situation. If the system is programmed to prevent body roll, it can do that.

Magneride isn't tricking the driver into perceiving things that aren't happening. Magneride changes the dynamic behavior of the car.

After owning a 2015 GT and then owning a GT350, the best part of the GT350 in my opinion is the control of the car's body motions. On/off the brakes or gas, turning, etc. the body of the car doesn't move around nearly as much. And all that body control happens with spring rates that are relatively low. So rather than needing a stiff ride in order to control the body motions, a Magneride car can have both a (relatively) soft ride and well controlled pitch/roll motions.
In steady state cornering, the damper does not reduce roll. The overall roll stiffness from the springs and bars, along with the geometry (roll center), determines roll angle for a given lateral acceleration. In transient motions, I'm sure it does greatly reduce roll, because the sprung mass hasn't settled to its steady state before the input/acceleration is changed. In that transient state, the dampers make the body roll slower.

As norm stated, the perception of roll is the biggest difference. Even Randy agrees (go to 18:45) ;)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
In steady state cornering, the damper does not reduce roll. The overall roll stiffness from the springs and bars, along with the geometry (roll center), determines roll angle for a given lateral acceleration. In transient motions, I'm sure it does greatly reduce roll, because the sprung mass hasn't settled to its steady state before the input/acceleration is changed. In that transient state, the dampers make the body roll slower.
How stiff can a Magneride shock get?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
How stiff can a Magneride shock get?
If it's getting stiff enough to limit roll, it's not doing what it's supposed to, and would make the car feel horrible to drive. It's keeping the car feeling flat because of how slow it rolls, but roll it does. Keep in mind that the GT350 springs are around 40% stiffer wheel rate compared to your 15 GT (effective stiffness of the springs at the tire) by itself, not including the swaybars, which are also stiffer by a decent percentage. Those are actually reducing roll considerably. Combined with good damping, and it'll feel very flat and responsive.
Sponsored