Sponsored

Is it possible to install new 3.5 door speakers without cutting the existing harness wiring?

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I want to install some infinity 3.5 coaxials to replace the 3.5 factory door speakers. But in case I don’t like it, I want to be able to go back to stock easily. I don’t mind creating a harness plug to match the factory harness - I did that with the center dash speaker. Has anyone done that and do you have part numbers for the harness plug that works? Or is there some other way to do this to be able to switch back to stock easily?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Yan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Ask Crutchfield...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cr
Ask Crutchfield...
Crutchfield says no.

Anyone have the part number for the 3.5 factory door speaker bracket? The black bracket that includes the female harness connection.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Crutchfield says no.

Anyone have the part number for the 3.5 factory door speaker bracket? The black bracket that includes the female harness connection.
The bracket comes assembled to the speaker. The connections for the driver are integrated into the housing. These are the midrange drivers, incorrectly listed as "tweeters".
Part number is -Y for Right and -Z is Left. Consider a visit to the scrap yard for them. Any 2015+ premium car should have them.
Midrange Part #.PNG

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Look up Scosche or Metra - they make jumper harnesses for many vehicles so the owner doesn’t have to cut factory wires.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, but I don’t think they make a bracket with an integrated harness plug like the factory one. I’m sure I could buy a wiring harness to connect a new speaker to the factory wires, but if I want to use the factory bracket to mount the new speaker, I would still have to cut the old speaker out.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went ahead and clipped the factory wires, dremmeled the bracket so the new speaker would fit, and soldered it to the bracket wires. Would be easy to reverse if needed, and bracket could be reused. Only did one door so can’t comment on overall sound, but the clarity compared to stock seems much better.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Are you still running the A pillar tweeters too? You might want to try unplugging them now that you have coaxials in the upper door. It might clean up the sound even further.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you still running the A pillar tweeters too? You might want to try unplugging them now that you have coaxials in the upper door. It might clean up the sound even further.
Just did the passenger side, and haven't unplugged the A pillar tweeter yet. Plan on installing driver side and see how it sounds. If too harsh, will unplug pillar tweets. If still too harsh, will plug pillar tweets back in and snip the tweet wires on the new speakers.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Just did the passenger side, and haven't unplugged the A pillar tweeter yet. Plan on installing driver side and see how it sounds. If too harsh, will unplug pillar tweets. If still too harsh, will plug pillar tweets back in and snip the tweet wires on the new speakers.
I'm willing to bet your new coaxial tweeters are going to sound better than the A pillar tweeters. Either way you should use one set of tweeters. Otherwise bad things happen to the sound stage.
Sponsored