Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
But the horsepower range is still going back and forth between each other
Performance is not just about HP. And the biggest bone of contention this time around is not about HP at all.

Obviously there are performance differences but all that can be tweaked with mods.
What the mfrs decide to give you as raw material to work with does say something about their commitment to supporting whatever it is about cars that interests you the most. This isn't limited to the various measures of performance.

Norm
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Performance is not just about HP. And the biggest bone of contention this time around is not about HP at all.

Norm
That’s right. Look at the new Porsche GT3RS. It punches way way way above its weight. To be fair, it’s rated at 520hp and the GT department manger was quoted saying it’ll make that power, on a summer day, in Death Valley.

So in the real world it’ll make closer to 550-560hp in moderate temperature, with its ram air at speed. 4L NA.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
After owning a few 5.0's its quite obvious that Ford holds back on what they really could offer the buyer. It seems this is done by Ford to help the aftermarket manufacturing remain profitable. .

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Personally, I have always found the concept of dedicated race cars that you can drive on the street to be a bit silly. Trailers are cheap. I either have a comfortable daily driveable car that can handle well on the track, or I have a dedicated track car.

Trailers are relatively cheap, but the truck to pull the trailer, insurance for the truck, and gas for the truck are not.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Trailers are relatively cheap, but the truck to pull the trailer, insurance for the truck, and gas for the truck are not.
My truck costs $5k, insurance is about $400 a year, and gas is nothing compared to what I will actually use at the track. If you can dish out several hundred dollars for the event, plus regular consumable items (tires, oil, brakes), then you can afford it. If you can afford a $75k Camaro, you can afford it. You guys must be used to luxury. I bought my truck as a workhorse. It isn't pretty, but it is reliable.

Sponsored

SVTSNAKE351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
:tsk::tsk::tsk:Yes they are lacking by the following.
1.no lightning truck
2.no big motor for the mustang,like 5.8 or bigger.
3. No 4 door car to compete with the fatcat charger.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My truck costs $5k, insurance is about $400 a year, and gas is nothing compared to what I will actually use at the track. If you can dish out several hundred dollars for the event, plus regular consumable items (tires, oil, brakes), then you can afford it. If you can afford a $75k Camaro, you can afford it. You guys must be used to luxury. I bought my truck as a workhorse. It isn't pretty, but it is reliable.
It's not just about the cost. You have to be able to put those extra things somewhere, and not everybody can. Even street parking isn't doable for me, and I've got more driveway space than most of my neighbors. Garage isn't usable as such (too small). Apartment dwellers and condo owners have it worse still. Kitty is all set to pounce on the next driver who hits my mailbox while making a 3-point turn because they missed the "NO OUTLET" sign down the block.

picture.jpg

And then there's the matter of justifying that $5k + (closer to $1k/year here) insurance + gas + likely repairs for a vehicle I wouldn't like to drive to begin with and would only use maybe a couple dozen times a year at most.

Norm

Last edited:

Cgocifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel, 2015 4Runner
If you are spending your time on a road course beating on the car then the GM product is more suitable in stock form. For every day driving the GM product is inferior IMO. There are trade offs with everything in life.
Granted, my 1LE is not a DD, but it is actually great on the street especially considering its track prowess. With the magnetic ride suspension set to Tour, it is actually very smooth and comfortable even on crappy roads. As is well known, the visibility is better on the Mustang, but if you set the mirrors correctly and learn to use them, it isn't horrible. The standard Alcantara Recaros in the 1LE are comfortable and supportive. The Camaro has almost zero storage inside, a useless center compartment and although the trunk is fairly big, the trunk opening is tiny.

I know there are brand loyalists who hate and trash either car, but I like all kinds of performance cars. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I was dead set on a PP2 until let down by the lack of additional coolers, ride height, value for the $, and etc. Once I saw in person and test drove a 1LE, I was sold.

I do agree though that for a daily street driven car, the Mustang is the better choice. For a periodic, fair weather car, track beast, the Camaro is the better choice. The Camaro also comes with a track approved factory warranty.

Both are great, American performance cars.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I do agree though that for a daily street driven car, the Mustang is the better choice. For a periodic, fair weather car, track beast, the Camaro is the better choice. The Camaro also comes with a track approved factory warranty.

Both are great, American performance cars.
Both Ford and GM warranty vehicles driven on the track. What's not warrantied by either camp is when you run a vehicle in a race sanctioned time event.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
It's not just about the cost. You have to be able to put those extra things somewhere, and not everybody can. Even street parking isn't doable for me, and I've got more driveway space than most of my neighbors. Garage isn't usable as such (too small). Apartment dwellers and condo owners have it worse still. Kitty is all set to pounce on the next driver who hits my mailbox while making a 3-point turn because they missed the "NO OUTLET" sign down the block.

And then there's the matter of justifying that $5k + (closer to $1k/year here) insurance + gas + likely repairs for a vehicle I wouldn't like to drive to begin with and would only use maybe a couple dozen times a year at most.

Norm

Or…..

Multimatic_Trailers.jpg

You could spend a few hundred thousand for trailers like these! Then you could spend a boat load of money on the tractor to haul it!

-Or-

You could just grit your teeth and drive to the track with those hard ass Multimatic dampers and seats that may not be heated or cooled… Oh, the horror, the horror…

But the way I took these about an hour ago and figured I would just crop and resize in the phone for kicks and giggles. Then the crop feature would not work properly. So I had to go back to my office and do it there but I got to cut and paste to one photo! Plus the boys in the trailer on the right were looking at me wondering what the interest was taking a photo of a trailer sitting there like forever. The things I do for you guys, but in this case I should have reconsidered…. :lol:

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

picture.jpg

Norm
I live in storage unit hell. There is always space to keep stuff if you have money.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's funny - part of my reasoning for not buying a trailer ( I already own a pickup that could easily tow a vehicle) is that I don't want to make room in my pole barn for it and I would hate to park it outside. I also let that guide my car purchases. If it has to sit outside it's one too many cars for me to own.

Then I see someone with four cars parked outside. Wow. Different priorities I guess.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Then I see someone with four cars parked outside. Wow. Different priorities I guess.
Heh . . . with my welding stuff and a tall cabinet and some shelves on one side, three roll-around tool boxes on the other, and shelves and an upright freezer against the end wall I've got all of about 200", nine feet wide for anything else. And after almost 40 years here, let's just say there's plenty of that that isn't a car. One complete engine, a few engine blocks, a couple transmissions, two stacks of tires for her car (seasonal-use) and track tires for me, some shingles, ramps, floor jacks, and the list goes on.

Norm

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
Both Ford and GM warranty vehicles driven on the track. What's not warrantied by either camp is when you run a vehicle in a race sanctioned time event.
Ford leaves much more open to interpretation and allows the dealer to decide what is covered. GM is more up front about covering track use, very clear actually. Not looking for an argument here, but please don’t mislead.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Ford leaves much more open to interpretation and allows the dealer to decide what is covered. GM is more up front about covering track use, very clear actually. Not looking for an argument here, but please don’t mislead.
Do you have evidence of Ford dealers turning down warranty coverage due to amateur racing?
Sponsored