Sponsored

Is a catch can really needed for a 2017?

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Surfing through several catch can threads, it seems there were improvements made to the oil separator and pcv in 2016. Were these good enough to negate the need for a catch can? Has anyone installed a catch can on a newer ecoboost made after the improvements to the pcv and oil separator; and if so, did it catch oil or not?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
You will get many conflicting views,..........wait for it........

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
A catch can is on my to-do list.
Has it actually been proven that DI engines will develop problems at high miles if no catch can is installed?

Bennington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot ecoboost
Surfing through several catch can threads, it seems there were improvements made to the oil separator and pvc in 2016. Were these good enough to negate the need for a catch can? Has anyone installed a catch can on a newer ecoboost made after the improvements to the pvc and oil separator; and if so, did it catch oil or not?
Honestly it depends on your car. My catch can would fill up in 600 miles with the original pcv/separator. I switched to the revised one and it will still catch oil, but at nowhere near the rate as before. I can half fill the can in about 2000 miles now. It holds about 3oz. But would you still want that oil in your intake manifold?

OP
OP

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I expect a lot of conflicting views but was hoping for replies from those with direct experience, thanks Bennington for starting this off right.

Grab popcorn and let's continue :D

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Wow... Okay I guess that answers that. Did all of that come from the first CC, or did the dual second one still catch a good bit too? In other words would the single CC work or do you think I need to spring for the DVCC?

LightningBlue17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost, Lightning Blue
Surfing through several catch can threads, it seems there were improvements made to the oil separator and pcv in 2016. Were these good enough to negate the need for a catch can? Has anyone installed a catch can on a newer ecoboost made after the improvements to the pcv and oil separator; and if so, did it catch oil or not?
In a word - YES. Bought my 2017 in July, and put the can in in August. Have emptied it twice - in September and November - and had oil in it both times. Not a lot, mind you - about a teaspoon in September, and a little more than that in November - but enough to make me think that it is still beneficial for our cars. I went with the UPR Dual Valve.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Wow... Okay I guess that answers that. Did all of that come from the first CC, or did the dual second one still catch a good bit too? In other words would the single CC work or do you think I need to spring for the DVCC?
I don't know what you're asking, I only have the dual-valve unit from UPR. The amount of gunk coming out has about tripled since the weather got below 40.

LightningBlue17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost, Lightning Blue
I think you are confusing DVCC with a clean side can. You can get a single valve catch can, which won't protect your engine under WOT. Or you can spend a little more and get the Dual Valve Catch Can which will continue to protect your engine under wide open throttle.

Some folks also get a SECOND catch can, known as a clean side catch can. This is extra protection, and while I cannot comment on whether it is worthwhile or not (because I don't have one), I am sure others can share their experience.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Miglo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ PP 401A NAV in DIB
There will always be "blow by" until someone re-engineer's the PVC system. Does that answer your question?

Last edited:
OP
OP

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Guess I'll be getting a UPR DVCC. Thanks to all for the input.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
No you do not need a catch can, especially if you plan on keeping the car for a very, very, very long, long time...

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
The improvements made to the oil separator likely reduced it's effectiveness, which is a bit of an oxymoron. The reason for the re-design is because it did not allow enough volume of flow and caused too much crank case pressure. The dwell time of the oil vapor in the separator is what causes it to cool down and condense, then drain back into the crank case. Longer dwell time = lower flow and higher back pressure assuming you don't increase the length of the tract without changing the diameter.

This high pressure caused by the original design would force oil out of the turbo bearing seals on some cars which would then cause smoking exhaust, significant suit buildup on the tail pipes and high oil consumption. If I'm not mistaken this was only prevalent on 2015 models and possibly some very early 2016 models.

No, you NOT have to run a catch can, the car did not come from the factory with a catch can and Ford does not except you to add one. Many European TDI cars however undergo the walnut shell blasting service on the intake valves every 40k to 60k miles. I have a co-worker with a 2015 WRX and that was the same thing he was told to have done every 40k miles for that very reason.

There are several things which you can do that will reduce the buildup significantly, they may be used individually or combined, but when combined will provide the optimal results:

1. Use a low NOAC rated oil, NOAC rating is the resistance to boil off (vaporization), oils with low boil off will produce much less oil vapor in the crank case, which means less oil coking of the intake tract and valves.

2. Have the walnut shell service done every 40k~60k miles.

3. Use a dual valve catch can.

Just for reference, if your still on Motorcraft 5W-30 Semi-Synthetic, you should expect to use APPROXIMATELY 16 fl-oz (1/2 quart) over a 10k service interval if everything is working reasonably well. Of course driving conditions, habbits and your particular car may very a bit, but that should give you an idea.
Sponsored