Sponsored

Is a Blow Off Valve on an EcoBoost SAFE?

OP
OP

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Race Red EcoBoost Premium
Are you old enough to drive? You probably should ask your parents before modding their car :like:
Hmmm, Interesting. - Nah brotha, I'm 17, work 4 jobs, run my own business, and bought the car all by myself. With absolutely no actual financial help from my parents. - So... I guess I win?

You've got lots of free time to hate on forums quite literally made for mustangs, go check out my previous thread "Things to know before getting my Ecoboost" - You'll see a little more about me on there!

Your car comes with a blow off valve from the factory so it's safe. When you change the pressure setting in the valve to get higher boost, then you are messing with safety.

If you just want the sound and no additional performance, buy this: https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-ProFl...coboost-Mustang-Fusion-2015-2020_p_12835.html
That's exactly what I'm looking for, I believe. - Is getting the Steeda one Safe?

I presume that your new car is still under factory warranty. If you want to keep it stay away from engine mods. Spend your hard earned cash doing exterior and interior mods.

When you say intake are you referring to a CAI? If you are understand that without a tune they are for looks only. If that’s what you want go for it. If not just get a good drop in filter.

By the way, I agree with Mark, the Steeda adaptor is cool is you have an extra $60 laying around.
A good Drop-In Filter. - That sounds just about good, - how much will it truly change? // Will it fuck my warranty?

I see in you're from CA. Getting your car to make whooshy noises is possibly an invitation for a fix it ticket. Some cops know the sound of a vent to atmosphere blow off device and will cite you for it. Not saying it's going to happen, but it's possible.

I've got a Fiesta ST with a Garrett Gen II GTX2860R turbo and I made my own recirc system to eliminate the whooshy noises and fly under the radar.

If you want to improve the recirc valve. Get a Go Fast Bits adapter from a reputable source, because there are counterfeits out there.

GFB_DV_1_15b7c195-ab92-4314-b593-d8e03c4a2391_1024x1024.png
Got it! Good ass advice, and I love what you did with yours, haha! Yeah.. CA cops and cars.... yeah...

Nope. The noise will mess with the traction control and cause the car to crash into a crowd at cars and coffee.
I was actually crying from laughing. - I called my brother (also with a mustang) to tell him this :D

I'm getting old.

I remember my first turbo-charged car ride, in a 1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. Plenty of turbo spool noise, but I don't remember any whooshing.

If I was an EBer, I wouldn't be interested in whooshing. More boost and spool noise, but not whooshing.
It's the "Whoooosh" when you let off the gas! I've seen tons of guys with it, and even drove one with it! It's tons of funnnnnnnn
Sponsored

OP
OP

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
Nope, still losing, the insurance has got to be more than the car payment :cwl:.

Here, have a :beer: kid. Welcome to the family. You got moxy, I'll give you that.
$157 a month. // For a 17-year-old with my income, It's a win :wink:

Glad to be here! :like:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
That's exactly what I'm looking for, I believe. - Is getting the Steeda one Safe?
Yes, its safe. Now depending on your dealer they "could" question the part if you bring it in for something amiss with the engine under warranty. You might want to have a conversation with the dealer service manager regarding mods. Some are OK with them, some not so much.

A good Drop-In Filter. - That sounds just about good, - how much will it truly change? // Will it fuck my warranty?
No, a filter will not effect your warranty. More airflow so a little more noise and 1-5 HP. Go AFE, K&N, or AEM. They are all good.

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
I don't have an EcoBoost, but I've had a turbo car before. In some (maybe most, idk) turbo engines, venting the BOV to atmosphere throws off the MAF readings since that amount of air has already been "calculated" for A/F ratio, which is why it is typically recirculated. If you get a BOV that recirculates, it's certainly safe as long as you're still running relatively stock levels of boost. You'll likely still hear plenty of BOV noise too, depending on which one you select.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I've had a K&N wet filter in the car since week 2, and have had the dealer perform 2 "the works" maintenance visits with no problems. The K&N adds a little noticeable kick to the butt dyno especially if you're running 91+ octane top tier fuel.

Enjoy your ride!!

Sponsored

OP
OP

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
I don't have an EcoBoost, but I've had a turbo car before. In some (maybe most, idk) turbo engines, venting the BOV to atmosphere throws off the MAF readings since that amount of air has already been "calculated" for A/F ratio, which is why it is typically recirculated. If you get a BOV that recirculates, it's certainly safe as long as you're still running relatively stock levels of boost. You'll likely still hear plenty of BOV noise too, depending on which one you select.
Hmm... I do love relying on the Digital Cluster readings for my boost. - Would it throw that off? // What do you think of the Steeda one the other guys recommended me for $60? I might end up getting that one?

I've had a K&N wet filter in the car since week 2, and have had the dealer perform 2 "the works" maintenance visits with no problems. The K&N adds a little noticeable kick to the butt dyno especially if you're running 91+ octane top tier fuel.

Enjoy your ride!!
Sounds awesome! - Yes, like some of the guys recommended on my "Things to know before buying my EcoBoost", I only put 91 Octane in it, to savour the engine and make the turbo enjoy it more! - What kind of K&N do you have on yours? I might get that one!

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
People who make fun of blow off valves are just showing their ignorance...

There's nothing wrong with running them, and venting them you're personal preference isn't the law of the universe...

Also with high hp turbo cars dumping the air to the atmosphere is way safer for the turbos than a recirc valve. Thats the whole reason why even professional rally cars use blow off valves...

And theres nothing wrong with doing a md because you like the sound, if thats being a river then everyone running a setback exhaust and headers are also ricers...

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I was gonig to do a BOV on my Focus ST because the stock valve was starting to let go. Don't have the car anymore though.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm... I do love relying on the Digital Cluster readings for my boost. - Would it throw that off? // What do you think of the Steeda one the other guys recommended me for $60? I might end up getting that one?

Sounds awesome! - Yes, like some of the guys recommended on my "Things to know before buying my EcoBoost", I only put 91 Octane in it, to savour the engine and make the turbo enjoy it more! - What kind of K&N do you have on yours? I might get that one!
You won't be disappointed in the Steeda unit - its manufactured with top notch materials!

TJ

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
This filter is pre-charged and ready to just drop in. Don't forget to buy the maintenance kit to clean & recharge it.

https://www.knfilters.com/33-5029-replacement-air-filter

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Nope. The noise will mess with the traction control and cause the car to crash into a crowd at cars and coffee.
Of course. But since all Mustangs will eventually do that, it really comes down to will this make it sooner or take out a bigger crowd?

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Of course. But since all Mustangs will eventually do that, it really comes down to will this make it sooner or take out a bigger crowd?
well the gts have crowd avoidance monitoring if you get BLIS

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Its not a problem,if you follow the instructions, give the oil time to tack up and soak in the filter and wipe away the excess oil.

You know its ready to reinstall when the filter element feels "dry" to touch.

The reason people are damaging mafs is that they are using too much oil on the filter then slapping it back in the box and driving away.

It should take you 30mins to an hour to complete the cleaning process you also only need to clean it around every 20k or so. Dont quote me on that K&N has a recommended interval.

Last edited: