Sponsored

Intercooler for under $250 ?

chriseco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 silver 6spd base ecoboost
American muscle sells a mishimoto universal Intercooler for only 240
Has any one used a universal ic what is required for install??
Is there any proformance down side to using a universal IC ?
Sponsored

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
It cant be worse than stock, that thing is garbage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Everyone seems to bash eBay product but there are hundreds of cars with bigger HP than our cars using eBay products with much success... as said above it better than. Stock. I'm looking into using a cx racing or treadstone intercooler on my car.

Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Depends on the core size. If the core is the size of the one in that e-bay ad, you're issues will only be with fitment, not cooling efficiency. If it is a stock location intercooler size, then I can tell you do NOT get it. You will be disappointed with fitment quality AND cooling efficiency. You will spend all your time trying to get the right fit with couplers and charge pipes only to have it heat soak in 15 minutes out on the road in Florida.

Where is a link to this universal kit you found.

Last edited:

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Besides the core size, efficiency, and cooling capacity (cool down after getting hot) you also have the hose size connections, and package to be concerned about.

For $250 you will get an intercooler that could be difficult to get into the car and then end up with function that is not what you intended. For $499 you can get a part that has proven performance, proven fit, and proven installation in your car.

I know it is more money but from my own personal experience the $250 part may be a $250 installation nightmare. Another way to look at it is $250 for the part and $250 for someone to figure out how to get it in your car for you. Save for a few more months and go for the part that is known rather than spend now for the part that is not.

For what it is worth, that is just my opinion....

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I made a post the other day about Treadstone's new intercooler. They just released it and it's around $425. It looks to be a nice unit for a more budget conscious consumer. I like the fact that it has cast end tanks.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Hey Guys!

Thanks for the interest in our products! We have not specifically tested our universal intercoolers on our Ecoboost Mustang so we can not comment on how well they perform on this application. Our universal intercoolers are great, but as far as install goes, especially for this application, nothing beats direct-fit.

We offer an extensively tested direct-fit intercooler for the Ecoboost Mustang and if you haven't had a chance to check out our development thread, all of our testing data is posted HERE.

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to help.

-Sara

OP
OP

chriseco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
http://http://www.americanmuscle.com/mishimoto-intercooler-m.html?utm_content=Intake+-+Supercharger+%2F+Turbocharger+Accessory%7CMishimoto&utm_campaign=15%2B%20Years&utm_source=Google-pla&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D&AMID=mishimoto-intercooler-m-GSFitmentV1&year=2015&model=EcoBoost&T5_Var3=blue&GID=80230
Depends on the core size. If the core is the size of the one in that e-bay ad, you're issues will only be with fitment, not cooling efficiency. If it is a stock location intercooler size, then I can tell you do NOT get it. You will be disappointed with fitment quality AND cooling efficiency. You will spend all your time trying to get the right fit with couplers and charge pipes only to have it heat soak in 15 minutes out on the road in Florida.

Where is a link to this universal kit you found.

Sponsored
OP
OP

chriseco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't get the link to work to well I think it's because I'm on my phone using the mobile version but if u google it it comes right up under the shopping page of google

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I made a post the other day about Treadstone's new intercooler. They just released it and it's around $425. It looks to be a nice unit for a more budget conscious consumer. I like the fact that it has cast end tanks.
I saw that and I called them to find out if it had the bung for the MAP sensor because it didnt show in the pic and the guy I spoke to said he wasn't sure.......:paddle: really?

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Saw the link. Core size looks good. You will def. need to do some fabrication/drilling for the MAP sensor because that intercooler will not have a spot for it, along with playing with couplers and elbows ect...

BrewCityBOOST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BrewCityBOOST Mustang
nothing wrong with an ebay IC. heck if it does its job well, then kudos to you! BCB has been the leading tuner and performance parts provider for Saabs and there are only 2 or 3 drop in ICs available. My customers ebay ICs have been kicking those drop ins asses at 1/4 of the cost.

Mwarn84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Everyone seems to bash eBay product but there are hundreds of cars with bigger HP than our cars using eBay products with much success... as said above it better than. Stock. I'm looking into using a cx racing or treadstone intercooler on my car.
I'm currently running a cxracing core on my car. Custom set up that my friend came up with and fabbed at his house. Has been working well for the last 7 months, no complaints! I like how it's different from everyone else.
188.jpg
Sponsored