Sponsored

Intake Manifold Tests

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Awesome. Will go good with this coffee...

Orange_cru$h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO Premium Pkg 6A 3.15 18"
It was a very good comparison. The only thing I would have liked to see was the gt350 mani charge motion tuned, I'd guess they would have picked better trq figures down low.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
It was a very good comparison. The only thing I would have liked to see was the gt350 mani charge motion tuned, I'd guess they would have picked better trq figures down low.
The 2015-2016 GT350 intake mani dynos I've seen the torque is better down low but that test engine was a cammed F-150 engine with the old style heads and all. I've seen CJ vs GT350 with identical mods otherwise and the GT 350 made the same or better the entire pulls.

Sponsored

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
It's the best test we will probably ever get if I had to guess. While it's a good baseline, lots of people will take it as gospel and apply it to our cars. The change in cylinder heads is critical for the 15+ engines when comparing intake manifolds. I think the CJ will do a bit better up top with a bit less torque and the 350 will do a lot better up top with a lot more torque (with the IMRC functioning again).

Also don't forget how critical cam timing is in the grand scheme of power production. I wish they had touched on what they did.

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Interesting for sure. I'm in the middle of having Kooks long tubes headers, GT350 IM and Throttle body and JLT GT350 CAI installed. Hopefully done and Dyno tuned by the end of next week. My tuner wasn't sure about the GT350 TB, so was going to play around and do his best to make it work. Can't wait to get her done!! Doing a baseline run first then a final when everything's done. I'll post the numbers when done.

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
Not sure what cold air they used on the intakes using the stock throttle body, looks like maybe a K&N? Anyways, all 3 of those combo's were choked by that cold air. The CJ, though not running the best cold air, had a much freer flowing cold air kit than the other 3. I've seen several other cars (three 11-14 cars with stock heads and cams, countless 15+ cars) install the GT350 manifold with much different results comparing to the stock manifold and boss manifold. Basically, the 350 manifold blew the stock and Boss out of the water. The 350 just about matches the CJ in HP except the CJ extends the RPM just a tad more, but the 350 offers better torque.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
Not sure what cold air they used on the intakes using the stock throttle body, looks like maybe a K&N? Anyways, all 3 of those combo's were choked by that cold air. The CJ, though not running the best cold air, had a much freer flowing cold air kit than the other 3. I've seen several other cars (three 11-14 cars with stock heads and cams, countless 15+ cars) install the GT350 manifold with much different results comparing to the stock manifold and boss manifold. Basically, the 350 manifold blew the stock and Boss out of the water. The 350 just about matches the CJ in HP except the CJ extends the RPM just a tad more, but the 350 offers better torque.

People always say "what's the best intake CJ or 350"

I say "it depends". How do you use your car? The average power and torque of the 350 is going to feel MUCH better day to day than the CJ and you won't even notice the difference in HP, if there is any. If you're only interested in max peak numbers and you don't mind cutting your hood or lowering the engine, the CJ may be for you.

People want to definitively say one is better than the other (usually the on they own lol) but it's just not the case.

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
It's the best test we will probably ever get if I had to guess. While it's a good baseline, lots of people will take it as gospel and apply it to our cars. The change in cylinder heads is critical for the 15+ engines when comparing intake manifolds. I think the CJ will do a bit better up top with a bit less torque and the 350 will do a lot better up top with a lot more torque (with the IMRC functioning again).

Also don't forget how critical cam timing is in the grand scheme of power production. I wish they had touched on what they did.
You're right, it's probably the best test we'll see for a while, but I don't think the heads or even the CMCV's would make much of a difference. Like I noted, I've seen 3 S197 coyotes install the 350 manifold from stock and their gains were pretty nutty, probably more impressive than I've seen on the S550 and the S550 gains have been pretty amazing IMO.

Sponsored

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
People always say "what's the best intake CJ or 350"

I say "it depends". How do you use your car? The average power and torque of the 350 is going to feel MUCH better day to day than the CJ and you won't even notice the difference in HP, if there is any. If you're only interested in max peak numbers and you don't mind cutting your hood or lowering the engine, the CJ may be for you.

People want to definitively say one is better than the other (usually the on they own lol) but it's just not the case.
You are 100% right and that's why I say that the GT350 manifold is the best all around manifold for anyone that drives their car on the street. Plus, we can paint the top of it pewter and make it look stock ;)

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
That was my thought as well. That intake they were using on the boss and GT 350 looked horrible with its tiny tube and tiny filter. The one on the CJ was massive with a huge filter.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Sticking with my GT manifold. Just will eventually shove my more air through it with a Paxton.

Furious_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Interesting for sure. I'm in the middle of having Kooks long tubes headers, GT350 IM and Throttle body and JLT GT350 CAI installed. Hopefully done and Dyno tuned by the end of next week. My tuner wasn't sure about the GT350 TB, so was going to play around and do his best to make it work. Can't wait to get her done!! Doing a baseline run first then a final when everything's done. I'll post the numbers when done.
I'm going to wait to hear what you end up with.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Wow, stock manifold seems to be the real deal here unless you have to rev it all the way up to 8000 rpm. The low end torque is the key here, but for a road coarse and staying at high rpms, i can definitely see the advantage of the gt350 and cobra jef manifold. This kinda questions why FRPP power pack 3 includes the gt350 intake manifold, even though it sacrifices a lot of power and torque down low. I wish the package was a cam package with the stock intake manifold now after seeing the results.
Sponsored