Sponsored

Insurance agent just made my day!

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
*************SEE UPDATE IN POST #115!***********

I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge this forum provides. Learning lots as I sift through the threads.

However, one area that is pretty individual is insurance coverage/premiums. Since all companies are different and people's driving records do differ, it's not the sort of thing one can gauge real accurately by starting a thread online.

Now I've never financed a vehicle. I've always bought them outright and paid cash. But for the first time, if I do pull the trigger on a 2015 GT premium with performance package (or similar), I will be financing it. While I could probably pay it off in 3 years I'll most likely go with a 6 year plan just to minimize the payments.

But the one thing that's always scared me about buying a higher horsepower car was what the insurance payments would be on it. Back when I was in my late teens I had priced a few cars and the cost to insure them was insane and pretty much killed any pursuit of one. But now that I'm in my mid-30's...things are different.

Just to prepare and do more homework I called my insurance guy, told him exactly what I was looking to purchase and when and he said to give him a few minutes. He called me back and said $430. I cringed and said "Holy crap!! $430 a month, that's more than the car's payments!!". He said..."Noooo....$430 a YEAR". That put an ear to ear grin on my face!! Especially since we're paying around $675 per car each year for 2 Subaru's (02 Forester and 06 Legacy). That means it'll basically bump my insurance payments up $100/quarter. Only limitation is that it won't be a winter car...which this wouldn't be anyway for me. So as long as I don't drive it (much) from say mid-dec. to mid-march...and put under 8,500mi on it per year...I'm good to go! Since we put around 10k a year on each of our vehicles using them almost exclusively/daily, 8,500 isn't really an issue.

I had no clue it would be so cheap to insure these! That means even with insurance figured in I'll be well under $400/mo. for this car. Kinda takes any financial concerns out of the equation, unless the parts and electronics/computer turn out to be costly. At this point other than tires (which I know will not be cheap) and brakes, no other large costs I'm seeing in any of the threads, especially since it's under warranty.

Just figured I'd share.

-Emt1581
Sponsored

Last edited:

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
$36 a month for full coverage? That seems too good to be true. What insurance company and what coverage?

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
mine is $390 or 425 every 6! i can't remember but good work sir!

I was the same way when they told me how cheap the insurance would be. My wife realized she lost the battle then haha.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$36 a month for full coverage? That seems too good to be true. What insurance company and what coverage?
Full coverage (but excludes if I were to wreck on the track) with Erie insurance.

He said he entered it in as a "standard" vehicle but while on the phone with me he said even if he "bumped it up to sport/performance" it didn't do much of anything to the price.

I should also add I've been with Erie for almost 20 years and we have the other two cars on the policy currently so adding another one triggers some discounts.

Again, limited to 9-months of driving and 8500 miles per year.

Is this drastically different from what everyone else is paying or something? Also, track coverage...are there certain companies that specialize in that?

Thanks

-Emt1581

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I pay $80 per month so twice as expensive as you but I am also 29 so....

Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Full coverage (but excludes if I were to wreck on the track) with Erie insurance.

He said he entered it in as a "standard" vehicle but while on the phone with me he said even if he "bumped it up to sport/performance" it didn't do much of anything to the price.

I should also add I've been with Erie for almost 20 years and we have the other two cars on the policy currently so adding another one triggers some discounts.

Is this drastically different from what everyone else is paying or something? Also, track coverage...are there certain companies that specialize in that?

Thanks

-Emt1581
My wife and I pay $220.96 a month for our 15 Escape and 16 GT. She is 27 and I am 29 and both of us have clean driving records. However, that is for $1,000,000 (don't want to get sued in CA lol).

Sammzway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (traded) / 16 Acura MDX
That's pretty good. Congrats. Yeah insurance prices are definitely getting better. I was paying $350/month with Geico then called Liberty Mutual for shits and giggles, received a quote for $190/month and the rest is history.

It's 190/month for 4 cars in New York. 15 GT, 14 Camry, 14 Corolla, 08 Corolla- all full coverage.

Arsenalslr95

V6 Tactical Operator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Cyclone
I pay $130 a month because of all the crap I have to have for a lease

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
it all depends on your location, multiple cars+home etc, tenure, and your record

Sponsored

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302

Thanks

-Emt1581
Same for me but $275 / yr ea on both my mustangs. 8500 miles and 3 Month layup. Even convinced my mom to do the same. She saved over $150 going this way. Typically here in MD we get the white stuff and since I have 4 cars total the mustangs can stay put. I'm 43 clean driving record and multiple coverage discount. Glad to here I'm not the only one saving money going this route.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same for me but $275 / yr ea on both my mustangs. 8500 miles and 3 Month layup. Even convinced my mom to do the same. She saved over $150 going this way. Typically here in MD we get the white stuff and since I have 4 cars total the mustangs can stay put. I'm 43 clean driving record and multiple coverage discount. Glad to here I'm not the only one saving money going this route.
Wow! $275/yr...nice!!

I'm guessing in 10 years or so I'll be there. So I guess we're paying similar accounting for age.

However, I've got a few tickets on my record...last one was 8 or 9 years ago. Plus I did cartwheels down the highway in my last car 4 years back. But my agent said, since that's my only accident since I got my license, it didn't do anything to my premium.

-Emt1581

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Don't be surprised if when they get an actual VIN the rates increase. Otherwise, nice job. I never understood the mileage claims - what are they gonna do, come out and read your odometer? My "pleasure" vehicle has now amassed over 10k miles in the first year.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
I pay $200 a month on an Ecoboost Base.. (paid $1200 for 6 months) spotless driving record, zero tickets.. quotes I got for a GT were $415-$490 a month.. Statefarm was $415, Geico $490.. Car note on a GT for me would of been $420 a month.. Lol. Ffff that..

I can't wait a few more years to trade this thing in for a GT.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't be surprised if when they get an actual VIN the rates increase. Otherwise, nice job. I never understood the mileage claims - what are they gonna do, come out and read your odometer? My "pleasure" vehicle has now amassed over 10k miles in the first year.
I thought about that but as long as the increase is minimal I'm still a happy camper.

-Emt1581
Sponsored