Sponsored

Installing Ford Performance Cam Covers - Replace VCT?

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I'm waiting on Levittown Ford to ship out my Ford Performance cam covers (M-6067-M52S), as I have the small oil leak at the #8 cylinder, due to the design of the stock cam covers. I saw that some folks have issues with their VCT Solenoids after awhile. I'm at 51k miles.

Does it make sense to replace them while I'm in there? I'm going to have the GT350 oil dipstick tube (FR3Z-6754-B) on hand, as Ford Performance recommends that, and will be knocking out spark plugs at the same time.

JR
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
While I can't comment on replacing the solenoids (my car has 11K miles, so I have faith they're fine), I can comment on the installation of the covers since I've done it as well for early leak prevention, plus the aluminum covers look far better.

Remove the battery box and the shield that resides next to it. It makes the passenger side cover an easy R&R. The driver side is a bastard to a degree, and you'll utilize your extension and universal collection getting the three closest to the firewall.

Be careful removing the dipstick. Mine was either just brittle or cracked to begin with, and the black portion that's internal broke off just trying to remove it from the stock cam cover. Fortunately it stayed put and didn't fall down inside the engine, and I was able to grab it with a needle nose pliers.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
The solenoids are cheap so if it makes you feel better then do it

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I can't comment on replacing the solenoids (my car has 11K miles, so I have faith they're fine), I can comment on the installation of the covers since I've done it as well for early leak prevention, plus the aluminum covers look far better.

Remove the battery box and the shield that resides next to it. It makes the passenger side cover an easy R&R. The driver side is a bastard to a degree, and you'll utilize your extension and universal collection getting the three closest to the firewall.

Be careful removing the dipstick. Mine was either just brittle or cracked to begin with, and the black portion that's internal broke off just trying to remove it from the stock cam cover. Fortunately it stayed put and didn't fall down inside the engine, and I was able to grab it with a needle nose pliers.
This is all good information! I'm not looking forward to the driver's side, but if I can replace the head gaskets on my Gen III Camaro with a 454 (and even less room in the engine bay), I will beat this dragon. I ended up ordering the VCT solenoids, anyway. Supposedly, the original design has been updated and has a much beefier bracket that has less flex. Whether that matters, or not, I don't know, but an ounce of preventive maintenance hopefully will save me a headache (and a CEL) down the line.

JR

BlueThunder16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP Deep Impact Blue
I'm waiting on Levittown Ford to ship out my Ford Performance cam covers (M-6067-M52S), as I have the small oil leak at the #8 cylinder, due to the design of the stock cam covers. I saw that some folks have issues with their VCT Solenoids after awhile. I'm at 51k miles.

Does it make sense to replace them while I'm in there? I'm going to have the GT350 oil dipstick tube (FR3Z-6754-B) on hand, as Ford Performance recommends that, and will be knocking out spark plugs at the same time.

JR
I know this is an old thread, but I'm about to do this same valve cover swap. After you swapped out that dip stick tube with the new one FR3Z-6754-B, did your stock dip stick fit it, or did you need to replace that too? And if so, what one did you use? Thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know this is an old thread, but I'm about to do this same valve cover swap. After you swapped out that dip stick tube with the new one FR3Z-6754-B, did your stock dip stick fit it, or did you need to replace that too? And if so, what one did you use? Thanks.
Honestly, I still haven't done it. I was trying to get a mechanic buddy of mine to do the work, but he's too backed up. Then I was waiting for my Bronco to be delivered so I'd have a second vehicle. Then I got busy. Zero time to get around to this, sadly.

JR

BlueThunder16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Ok, thanks for getting back to be either way. Good luck with it whenever you get to it. I'm guessing the stock dip stick will fit that new tube, but we'll see.

Pucklord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT California Special
Ok, thanks for getting back to be either way. Good luck with it whenever you get to it. I'm guessing the stock dip stick will fit that new tube, but we'll see.
Have ya found an answer for your question hoss? I'm wondering myself too. Most likely it will need to be changed as the GT350 tube is kinda longer than the GT stock tube .. at least that what them pictures shows, but I ain't sure though! Btw the part number is Gr3Z-6750-B

BlueThunder16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Hey. No one really answered that question, but I finished the job a couple weeks ago and reused the factory one. It fit just fine and the oil level seems to be reading accurately as far as I can tell.
Sponsored