Sponsored

Installing APR Splitter without Belly Pan?

AvaGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Just got mine in the mail and I see the instructions say to just mount it to the Roush splitter without the belly pan. I called them and they said the same thing. Anyone do this? If so, where do I secure the back of the splitter too? Do I drill holes for the fender lines to attach to as well?
Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
i have the apr splitter for roush. belly pan isn't used. instructions are right. you use the roush splitter to secure to the apr to the bumper.

OP
OP

AvaGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
i have the apr splitter for roush. belly pan isn't used. instructions are right. you use the roush splitter to secure to the apr to the bumper.

Where does the back of the belly pan mount to? What about fender liners? Should I drill holes for water to escape?

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have one too and installed it recently. Actually installed it twice due to un-matching paint on the front bumper. No belly pan is used and there is no support in the mid back area. I ended up drilling two holes back there to line up with the part of the frame. The holes go through the existing holes on the frame and I am using a big zip-tie for now. The zip-ties are temporary since I haven't decided how to secure it yet. This does add some support since the splitter is pretty heavy. As for drain hole, you will be fine without them since it will run off to the sides and eventually at the end of the splitter. For the fender well area, I didn't drill any holes and figured you don't need it since it does have some gaps there anyways. I'll look for some pictures to see if I can show what I mean. Currently, my car is getting a clear bra at the moment.

OP
OP

AvaGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I think I'm gonna opt to do it with the belly pan just so I know it's secure in this case

Sponsored

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Even with the splitter attached to the belly pan, the belly pan in itself does not provide much structual support.

I would highly recommend installing several rivnuts into the radiator support/frame. I run 3 M8 rivnuts along each side of the frame and the splitter is very secure.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I think the belly pan interferes with the Roush bumpers. You may have gaps everywhere, but could be wrong.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
there is no reason to use the belly pan at all. the fender liners connect to the roush splitter. everything will be ok. lol

Monica_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Performance pack
Even with the splitter attached to the belly pan, the belly pan in itself does not provide much structual support.

I would highly recommend installing several rivnuts into the radiator support/frame. I run 3 M8 rivnuts along each side of the frame and the splitter is very secure.
Thats a good idea, I'm totally doing that instead. Never used rivnuts though. Care to elaborate for a rivnut newb?

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thats a good idea, I'm totally doing that instead. Never used rivnuts though. Care to elaborate for a rivnut newb?
Get yourself a tool like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Riveter-Riveting-Setting-System-M3-m12/dp/B00R1FYLWU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1501694700&sr=8-7&keywords=rivnut+tool

and some cobalt drill bits to get through the steel frame..

Once you drill out the holes, the tool presses a nice threaded insert into the frame. I have a tool that only goes up to an M8 insert (which I think 6 M8 bolts is plenty strong for this application) however the one linked above can press up to a M12.

I use some grade 10.9 metric bolts and washers to secure the splitter to the rivnuts and its very secure (I could stand on it, but I won't)..

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
How is it with scraping? Do you have issues with hitting things with this?

OP
OP

AvaGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
How is it with scraping? Do you have issues with hitting things with this?
Not at all. Just have common sense and be cautious. I have quite a few speed bumps in my neighborhood and I have no problems.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Not at all. Just have common sense and be cautious. I have quite a few speed bumps in my neighborhood and I have no problems.
Can you elaborate on your common sense and cautious point? I use to own several Corvettes and I had to approach everything at an angle to prevent scraping. I'd call that cautious but impractical for daily use.
Sponsored