Sponsored

Installed Ford Performance Power Pack 2 - Now no drive modes (!?)

PONYPWR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I just installed mine and so far, I really like it! The only issue is that after flashing the ECM as directed is that I can no longer select drive modes. (??). When I go to choose a different drive mode, it toggles between the different selections as normal, but then I get a message saying "Drive Mode Selection Unavailable". I'm quoting that from memory, so I might be off in the exact wording, but it's the same message you get when trying to change the drive mode if the car is in reverse. I can turn off the traction control with the toggle as normal, but I cannot change the steering modes with the steering mode toggle either.

Is this something that is lost with the Power Pack 2 upgrade?
Is this something that is temporarily disabled while the ECM cycles / learns?
Is there something else wrong?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
Tony
Sponsored

TomCat0197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Ruby Red
I have power pack 2 as well. Drive modes still work. Maybe try disconnecting the battery. If that doesn't work, l would suggest flashing back to stock, then re-flash the tune.

OP
OP

PONYPWR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have power pack 2 as well. Drive modes still work. Maybe try disconnecting the battery. If that doesn't work, l would suggest flashing back to stock, then re-flash the tune.
Hi Tom Cat,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll do that and report back

Tony

OP
OP

PONYPWR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hi Tom Cat,

Tony
Hey TomCat0197...
That did the trick! The battery disconnect / reconnect didn't do the trick. I flashed it back to the stock tune. Just to play things safe, I re-downloaded the tune file from Ford Performance (same file name + "copy 2"). I used the newer download to re-flash the P
Hi Tom Cat,

Tony
Hey TomCat0197,

Thanks for the heads up. The battery dis/re-connect didn't do the trick. When that didn't work, I thought it must have been a corrupted or defective version of the tune file. I re-flashed back to the original tune, then downloaded a new copy of the tune update for the power pack 2 (filename + "copy 2). When I re-flashed back to the Ford Performance tune, I used the re-downloaded copy instead of the original. That did the trick! Holy $%!#, it ran a bit better than stock on that 1st tune (without the ability to use drive modes), but when the 'correct' one was loaded, it made a VERY noticeable difference in power! This mod lives up! I REALLY like it! Bye bye gas mileage! LOL!

Thanks again for the push in the right direction. You saved me some time on the hold with Ford, I'm sure! Much appreciated!
-Tony

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Love this pack as well and yes mpg went down significantly since install ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP

PONYPWR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Love this pack as well and yes mpg went down significantly since install ;)
I'm not convinced the mod itself really hurts mileage. It did however create a medical condition that 'will' impact MPG. "Severe weight gain in the right foot."

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Hey TomCat0197,

Thanks for the heads up. The battery dis/re-connect didn't do the trick. When that didn't work, I thought it must have been a corrupted or defective version of the tune file. I re-flashed back to the original tune, then downloaded a new copy of the tune update for the power pack 2 (filename + "copy 2). When I re-flashed back to the Ford Performance tune, I used the re-downloaded copy instead of the original. That did the trick! Holy $%!#, it ran a bit better than stock on that 1st tune (without the ability to use drive modes), but when the 'correct' one was loaded, it made a VERY noticeable difference in power! This mod lives up! I REALLY like it! Bye bye gas mileage! LOL!
Not sure I buy it that copy 2 tune was different.... Is there a way to tell?

I'm not skeptical though. After I installed frpp2 the car detonated more than I wanted. I reverted it back to oem due to hpde event. I plan on frpp application again some time in the future though.

I will try to re-download the file instead of using the old one and see if that makes any difference.

OP
OP

PONYPWR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Not sure I buy it that copy 2 tune was different.... Is there a way to tell?

I'm not skeptical though. After I installed frpp2 the car detonated more than I wanted. I reverted it back to oem due to hpde event. I plan on frpp application again some time in the future though.

I will try to re-download the file instead of using the old one and see if that makes any difference.
Hi Accel,
Ya, I'm not saying difinitively that 'copy 2' was any different. I downloaded it again as a precautionary measure. The 1st time I did the download, I did not know the prompts and cadence of the download process, so I was leaving room for 'user error' in the first download. I can't say for certain, but I may have disrupted the process somehow the first time. Downloading a 2nd copy was precautionary. I don't know of a way to tell if they're different from each-other though.

I got detonation as well. This is something I would have been concerned about had I not seen a youtube video that called it out. Not sure it can be classified as 'normal', but it does happen. Apparently, it's part of the system 'learning'. I do buy that. The detonation went away within about 5-10 min of driving. At first, I only gave it enough throttle to start to hear the detonation and backed off immediately. I kept "testing the waters" that way until I could go WOT without hearing anything. Like I said, it didn't take long.

Best of luck with your setup. It really IS a fun upgrade!

Tony

inspecto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm not convinced the mod itself really hurts mileage. It did however create a medical condition that 'will' impact MPG. "Severe weight gain in the right foot."
Love this pack as well makes ya want to use the power. I've had it on mine for over a year.
Sponsored