(Install with Pics) Bluetooth Ethanol Sensor

4sdvenom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
May have to pick one up, despite not even having an S550 "YET" just in case they quit selling them again!
Sponsored

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the Fuel-it kit on the Bullitt yesterday with no problems. Connects and gives readout immediately. The fuel line coming out of the firewall is a little different on my car than the OP's. What worked best for me was to use a slide in fuel line disconnect tool to remove the line at the firewall. This allowed for taking that whole section of line out of the car for removing the factory rubber line and crimping on the new rubber line. There was no way to get access to ensure a good crimp with the line connected. Anyway, I'm pumped that I don't have to physically take a sample at every fill up now.

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6MT - Ruby Red
Just installed this kit on my 2018 GT. Fairly straightforward install. I opted for the cheaper nylon fittings.

Just like @chesster51 said, it's a little different with the gen 3 Coyote. I also pulled the quick disconnect fitting at the firewall to make removing the OEM rubber line easier. The fuel line coming off the rail is pointed more outward instead of back, so you end up with the ethanol sensor just floating off to the side. I added some cushioning material and zip tied it to the brace that goes from the firewall to the strut tower. I ran the wiring the same as @OneFordGT.
Inked245545571_943964956193756_306450303666410472_n_LI.jpg

248437829_561065511620697_8654724380232090201_n.jpg

245523128_4418695424916452_4999913097620507622_n.jpg

I took this screenshot from the app after a hard drive. I'm not educated on what the normal fuel temp range is for this car, but the number seemed a little high to me. Ambient temp is 75F.

247474786_599819141147966_1982657234761613810_n.jpg

Also, the crimp tool you can get with the kit is garbage, don't even bother. I had to use larger pliers to get the clamp crimped all the way.

246646837_1090517048404641_7520701501492379353_n.jpg

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hey guys, right now I have a Lund 93 Tune and plan on getting a Flex Fuel Tune from them this Spring and while this is not necessary to know, I want to know exactly what ethanol % is in my tank in real time. I spoke to another forum member who made his own setup because he sometimes runs a straight E85 race tune and needs to know when its safe to switch to it, I planned on copying his setup until I found a company online who made a kit for the coyote. My car is a 2016 GT manual transmission, my only mods are Kooks Long Tubes (off road) and JLT cai. I found a lot of threads of people wanting a sensor setup like this so that's why I am sharing this. Lets get to it!

First off, this is the kit. You get everything you need to install the sensor. All you need are basic hand tools and rubber gloves (to keep fuel off hands).

After removing the engine cover and disconnecting the battery, the first thing I did was unhook the rubber fuel supply from the fuel rail, I did this by squeezing the blue clip and pulling the hose off. A small amount of fuel leaked out but nothing sprayed as my car has been sitting for about a month and most of the fuel pressure bled off.
The kits fuel line connectors use these cam style fasteners, you use 1/2" and 5/8" wrenches to twist them together, they're pretty nice and they seal really well.
Kit comes with some lube to put on the male side of fitting to help them fit together since the tolerances are tight.
Once the first section of fuel line is installed it will look like this. I went ahead and put the ethanol sensor on the fuel line as well.
Next you pull the factory rubber hose off the metal firewall fitting.
After you have the factory rubber fuel hose completely off you can push the other supplied fuel line on the ethanol sensor and then connect the hose to the metal fire wall fitting. The kit includes a new PEX crimp ring, I didn't have the tool needed to crimp it but after looking online for alternative tools I ended up using the wire cutter part of needle nose pliers to crimp it tight. Once you have the fuel hardware all connected you just plug the wiring harness into the sensor. I ran the wire up by the rear cowl strut brace and underneath the black plastic cowling, all you have to do is pull the plastic push fasteners out and the cowling comes loose. You can see where to lay the wire once you look under the plastic. The photo with the red mark is the path I used to run to the battery.
I connected the power cable directly to the battery, I've read that the bluetooth transmitters don't use much energy and shouldn't drain the battery, you can connect to a fuse that powers with the key if you want. There's enough room in the battery box to store the extra wiring and bluetooth transmitter. Without knowing I have the kit installed there's nothing that normal people would see out of place with this. It looks factory on the fuel line. Below are some more images of what I've described. The engine cover can be placed back on and the sensor does not interfere with it at all, its a perfect fit.
LASTLY, download the app and press connect. BAM, real time ethanol content! There's a 0-5v output wire (white) that can used with your tuner if you want to utilize on the fly ethanol content tuning. I just want to know what the ethanol percentage is so I did not hook it up. The app and transmitter connect instantly and you can view the ethanol content in seconds. It's cold here in Ohio so it will be a good month or two before I get my car out and run this Shell 93 gas out of the tank, I was surprised it was E9, I was expecting E10-15. My car's AFR is idling around 14.1-14.3 so E9 looks to be correct.
I just want to to pass this information along since I know there are a lot of people who have been asking for this same kit.
Awesome write-up!
Sponsored