Sponsored

Inside wear, looking for input

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 15 Mustang GT PP, 13 F150 FX4
I have about 10,000 miles on these Eagle F1 tires. They are showing excessive wear on the Inside Edge Of All 4 tires. the picture shown is the front driver side. The car only has 10,000 miles on it and I have not touched any suspension components since I took delivery of the car. Could I have an alignment issue or something else I'm overlooking? Obviously at this point I'll get the car aligned and I'll need to get new tires but was looking for advice from the forum member's. Do you think I have any chance of getting some type of compensation from Goodyear or possibly Ford? It honestly seems a bit ridiculous that it is wearing like this and I have not done any suspension work.
IMG_20161123_124530.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepwx03

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No idea, everything is still set from factory.

Joebroni

Frac E-Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 50th
Toe or more likely camber. 10,000 miles on the car, but based on your profile could it be the 08 GT? Low miles but out of warranty by a long shot? If it is a newer car not listed, your bumper to bumper warranty will cover the alignment. If it is out of warranty, then yeah you just need to get the alignment checked and see what spec is out. You won't get reimbursement from Ford, and I doubt Goodyear is going to help you since it's not a defective product they sold you. You're just out of luck financially.

You aren't loading down your trunk with a bunch of heavy stuff are you? Something that could be loading down your suspension and cause the geometry change?

OP
OP
Jeepwx03

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, just up dated my profile. No extra weight

Sponsored

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
to me, it looks like the inside AND outside are worn... that would indicate possibly low tire pressure. you're running 305s? I'd think you would need to up the PSI to get a good contact patch. just my opinion.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Tire pressure is a good question.

OP
OP
Jeepwx03

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do not check tire pressure often enough. Alarm went off today showing 26/27 in all the tires(cold). Weather just started getting colder here so I'm assuming it was a little higher this summer. Now it's filled to 32 front / 30 rear.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
I used to work for a major Tire Manufacturer Globally. I was also certified to align with the newer Hunter Alignment machines. I'm also certifiably in love with suspension and alignments. So let me see if I can help out here.

Inner and outer wear: Particularly in your instance it's due to an air pressure issue. Perhaps these need to be run at a different PSI to maintain a more square wall that keeps the tread perpendicular to the side wall. But your first initial issue is absolutely air pressure.

Rotation: Are the tire sizes square? As in you have 275's up front and out back? Or are they staggered? All bone stock PP cars are staggered, thus you can't rotate. Rotating the tires would without a doubt have made these tires, under inflated or not, live longer. Something to consider here.

Alignment: The minute you drive off the lot, the car can be knocked out of alignment. I've seen people drive off after a very proper, square alignment and within two weeks have a pull to the right. All it takes is the perfect combination of pot holes, curbs, bumps, hard cornering, etc. You have 10k miles of possible situations that would've knocked it out of alignment.

In your case, it looks to me the back of the car is toed out too much. It's wearing the inner edge. If I could see better, I bet there would be a bit of scalloping as well. It's usually indicative of a toe issue.

Also to keep in mind, this car being a PP car and an IRS car does not bode well for tire life. Any degree of camber on the back with mildly aggressive driving will easily wear a tire to the cords. No well handling tire will manage to survive that, unless its made of plastic. And in that case, you'll slide all over the place anyway.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
26/27 indicates so it would be somewhere around 24/25psi. Way too low.
Plus it doesn't seem crazy worn just the tire doesnt have much tread design on the inside compare to on the outside.

Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
I used to work for a major Tire Manufacturer Globally. I was also certified to align with the newer Hunter Alignment machines. I'm also certifiably in love with suspension and alignments. So let me see if I can help out here.

Inner and outer wear: Particularly in your instance it's due to an air pressure issue. Perhaps these need to be run at a different PSI to maintain a more square wall that keeps the tread perpendicular to the side wall. But your first initial issue is absolutely air pressure.

Rotation: Are the tire sizes square? As in you have 275's up front and out back? Or are they staggered? All bone stock PP cars are staggered, thus you can't rotate. Rotating the tires would without a doubt have made these tires, under inflated or not, live longer. Something to consider here.

Alignment: The minute you drive off the lot, the car can be knocked out of alignment. I've seen people drive off after a very proper, square alignment and within two weeks have a pull to the right. All it takes is the perfect combination of pot holes, curbs, bumps, hard cornering, etc. You have 10k miles of possible situations that would've knocked it out of alignment.

In your case, it looks to me the back of the car is toed out too much. It's wearing the inner edge. If I could see better, I bet there would be a bit of scalloping as well. It's usually indicative of a toe issue.

Also to keep in mind, this car being a PP car and an IRS car does not bode well for tire life. Any degree of camber on the back with mildly aggressive driving will easily wear a tire to the cords. No well handling tire will manage to survive that, unless its made of plastic. And in that case, you'll slide all over the place anyway.
Couldnt have said it any other way, actually couldnt have said it as good as you did.

Also these tires, wear like a MOFO trust me I know from personal experience . So these tires are very fussy

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
I was also going to say 10k miles on goodyear eagle f1s on a heavyweight car like ours is pretty decent.
They are, had them on a Zl1 5k was fine after that they greased up and lost their grip, weared out pretty fast also.
Sponsored