Sponsored

Improve Traction on 2018 GT Roush Phase II Supercharged - Ideas?

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
You will definitely need to air down those Nittos. I just ordered the Nitto NT555Rll for the rear. I'll probably run the NT555G on the front. I had been spinning through the top of 3rd gear when pushing it.

I'll be interested to see how you feel after the driveshaft is installed. I've heard some say it is a great upgrade and some say it causes vibrations. You know how experiences can differ from car to car.

Have not picked it up yet. They just finished it this afternoon and they were road testing. Scheduled to pick up Friday morning. First thing I plan to do is air down the rear Nitto NT05Rs to say 25 psi.

The DSS one-piece forged AL drive shaft was not installed; it's still on back order - after 8 weeks. They still don't have an ETA on delivery date. But the shop said the install is quick and easy - about 1.5 hours including the front safety bracket / loop.

Excited to get it back.
Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I have also heard of severe vibration with one-piece driveshafts. Has anyone with under 800 whp ever broken the stock two-piece unit?

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I feel like it's in the same category as changing out the halfshafts; not really needed by many people.

I have also heard of severe vibration with one-piece driveshafts. Has anyone with under 800 whp ever broken the stock two-piece unit?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I feel like it's in the same category as changing out the halfshafts; not really needed by many people.

I have seen a number of broken halfshafts even on GTs without forced induction. Of course, controlling wheel hop is a big factor in preventing breakage.

kodioneill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 GT Kona Blue
I was considering getting a supercharger but I've held off for this exact reason.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ok, I got you. The loss of traction can be minimized in many ways....but first those of us that have superchargers don't have a loss of traction when driving the car normally...like 95% of the rest of the world. The wheel spins occurs when we decide to romp on it...same thing happens with the non-superchargerd cars. Your right foot determines if you lose traction or not....or turning off the nannies :)... Things to minimize wheel spin/loss of traction: less gas pedal at once, better tires, suspension parts to lessen wheel hop (typically under $500).

When you say the loss of traction, I imagine cars skidding around in the road...this is not what we are talking about. We are referring to minimizing wheel spin when getting into the throttle with a heavy right foot.

Loss of traction. Sorry!

kodioneill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 GT Kona Blue
Ok, I got you. The loss of traction can be minimized in many ways....but first those of us that have superchargers don't have a loss of traction when driving the car normally...like 95% of the rest of the world. The wheel spins occurs when we decide to romp on it...same thing happens with the non-superchargerd cars. Your right foot determines if you lose traction or not....or turning off the nannies :)... Things to minimize wheel spin/loss of traction: less gas pedal at once, better tires, suspension parts to lessen wheel hop (typically under $500).

When you say the loss of traction, I imagine cars skidding around in the road...this is not what we are talking about. We are referring to minimizing wheel spin when getting into the throttle with a heavy right foot.
Okay, thanks for that.

rabid_josh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
This may not be helpful for some but you need to remember that not only width helps determine traction, but also side wall height. I larger side wall is more forgiving/has give to it which allows for making up for a lack thereof of suspension/proper suspension modifications. Tire pressure also can come into play as well. If you've got them inflated pretty good they're also not going to give as much.
Sponsored