Sponsored

Impressions after a week of ownership (a bit long)

Kzanard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro
I have had the car (16 GT Premium & performance pack, 6sp) a week now and thought I would share my impressions. I traded in a 12 SRT Challenger for the Mustang and have had 4 prior mustangs (85 GT, 87 GT, 93 LX, 03 Cobra). This is primarily my weekend/fair weather car.

OVERALL QUALITY: I am rather impressed with how well the car is put together and it is definitely more upscale than prior generations. It is much more solidly built and had much less road noise than I had expected (better sound deadening?). Upon delivery the car was near perfect sans a scratch on the rear bumper that the dealer is fixing next week. I inspected closely for body panel alignment, etc., and there were no real notable issues. Sure, if I took out a caliper and measured gaps & symmetry I could find some minor issues, but barely noticeable to me and not worth having the dealer try to improve.

POWERTRAIN: I am very impressed with the high revving motor. It is very smooth in power delivery and just continues to pull. My SRT was a rocket when you punched it, but the GT feels almost as fast. The SRT was an auto so I am really enjoying being back in a stick. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are very fun.

MANUAL TRANSMISSION: I (like I am sure everyone else) did a LOT of research here before buying so I had some concerns regarding body panel gaps, notchy manual shifter, wheel hop, etc. I was very tempted to buy aftermarket shifter and various other "improvements", etc., even before taking delivery of the car. I am so glad I didn't (can save the $ for other mods). After driving it I can say it is one of the smoothest manual's I have driven and the best of any previous mustang I have had. Is there room for improvement, sure. But my $ is better spent in other areas before upgrading the shifter.

WHEEL HOP: it is very noticeable. Luckily I am at an age where smoke shows are not as exciting as driving the car, so wheel hop in daily driving is a non issue. I do not plan on tracking he vehicle. If I were to track the car, the IRS is what I would first upgrade/improve.

SUSPENSION: While the vehicle holds the road and corners extremely well (I was surprised how well on the stock tires), I was still expecting the performance pack set up to perform better overall. The front end lift and dive under hard acceleration & shifting is very noticeable and annoying. The first mod I have done in every previous vehicle was to lower it and replace shocks/struts. I was hoping to avoid it in this car. It looks like this is where my first area of improvement will be. if you are a casual driver, the PP suspension is fine. However, if you plan to flex your engine's muscles at all, you will be looking at replacing some suspension components.

MODS: I drove the car for a couple of hundred miles as is to get the feel of it before doing anything to the car. The first mods I did after that were the quick & easy ones:
- replaced the Clutch Spring withthe Steeda one (greatly improved the clutch engagement feel and too literally 10 minutes)
- removed the sound tube (bought the "kit" with the 2 plugs). What a waste of $ and space by Ford. I did not notice any difference in sound in the cabin and the engine bay looks so much cleaner without it. What a f*#@%** pain in the a$$ getting to that rear nut. I ended up trying to muscle the thing off by tugging on it after repeated attempts to squeeze my rather large hand/arm down there.
- tint (35% on door windows (legal in MA), 20% on all others)

For future planned mods I am planning on (when $$ is available):
- EXHAUST: this will be done next. Nothing crazy, just a little more volume (most likely Solo Mach XV).
- SUSPENSION: springs, shocks, struts, IRS goodies.
- F/I

Again, overall I am VERY pleased with the car and my decision to purchase it. It is a much more engaging experience to drive than my SRT was and I was missing that. I could likely leave the car as is and be very happy with it. However, I know my history, and I know full well that I will be spending way too much time & $ on mods....

Thanks for reading and I hope this gives some insight for those lurkers out there trying to decide if they should pull the trigger. DO IT.

~ Kevin
Sponsored

Joshg120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Good writeup, I would say my impressions of the car are very similar. My first mods were cosmetic (tint, black upr emblems, diode dynamics switchbacks), then I moved to exhaust and added a mach XV (which is amazing you will not be dissapointed), and now I'm looking at the suspension. I am going to purchase the koni yellow shocks/struts to pair with the steeda progressive springs I have sitting at home. Future plans later this year is an MGW shifter and then some new wheels and tires. It's a very fun project car and the aftermarket support really sets it above the other options in my opinion. Glad you are enjoying the car!

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
It seems like 95% of your review is positive! I am glad you're enjoying your car because I love mine! :cheers:

Since you're looking at suspension, I went with the Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs (about 1" all around). Sometimes I wish I would have bought the Eibach Sportlines, but MOST of the time I am grateful that I didn't, lol! New York roads are terrible. :doh:

As for the exhaust, I would make that your first priority. There are a lot of different systems and unique combinations out there; just check YouTube!

Enjoy!

OP
OP
Kzanard

Kzanard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It seems like 95% of your review is positive! I am glad you're enjoying your car because I love mine! :cheers:

Since you're looking at suspension, I went with the Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs (about 1" all around). Sometimes I wish I would have bought the Eibach Sportlines, but MOST of the time I am grateful that I didn't, lol! New York roads are terrible. :doh:

As for the exhaust, I would make that your first priority. There are a lot of different systems and unique combinations out there; just check YouTube!

Enjoy!
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am very happy with the car. I have been all over this site & youtube for the exhausts. Still not the same as in person, but gives a good impression of the differences.

I have had great luck with Eibach on all of my past mustangs, except for the Cobra (had H&R springs on that).

Sponsored

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
What SRT did you have? I assume it wasn't stock?

OP
OP
Kzanard

Kzanard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What SRT did you have? I assume it wasn't stock?
The SRT was the 1st car I did NOT heavily modify. All I added was a catch can and a tune. It was plenty fast (470HP/470tq), had a great adjustable suspension, and really had all the aesthetics I thought it needed. I thought about exhaust but stock exhaust sound opened up after a few miles and I also told myself I did not need to have the louder exhaust (or a manual transmission) as I was fast approaching 50 years young. I was wrong.

I liked the SRT a lot and received tons of attention/compliments, but I did not miss it at all once I drove my GT.
IMG_0556small.jpg
IMG_2272.jpg

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Kevin, what part of Mass. are you from? I'm in the MetroWest area, so if you have any questions about my mods in my sig and want to see/hear them let me know. Always looking to meet up with local forum members.

invaliduser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible PP
Hey.. that place looks familiar in the SRT picture..

Nice review and maybe we'll see each other around somewhere.

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
The only major complaint I have with the GT is it feels like it is meant for somebody well over 6 foot tall. I am 5 ft 8 in and I have to move the seat all the way up and tilt it forward a bit to get a good proper push on the clutch. I ended up installing a pedal extension just to make it a bit more comfortable. Girlfriend is 5 ft 3 in and couldn't seem to drive it at all without the extensions. Only car I have ever had this issue in.

Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
I've actually considered the Challenger Scat Pack, just because I'd like a little more back seat space for my 5 yr old. It's not an issue if just he and I are in the car as I can move the seat forward as much as necc. But when my wife is also in the car, either she or my son aren't happy with the legroom.

How does the back seat space in the Challenger compare? Always assumed it had to be more than the Mustang, but haven't actually been able to really examine one.

OP
OP
Kzanard

Kzanard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The challenger has MUCH more room in back seat. Not quite big enough for a larger adult, but plenty for up to teenager. It was an extremely comfortable car.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
The challenger has MUCH more room in back seat. Not quite big enough for a larger adult, but plenty for up to teenager. It was an extremely comfortable car.
Thanks, good to know! Love my mustang, but there will come a time when I need more room and I know the ScatPack out now has crazy power to compensate for the weight.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
MGW shifter + new transmission fluid to dramatically improve the shifter
Sponsored