H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
My ST had a couple more stages.
Clutch out, lowest RPM. Clutch in, brake down, RPM raise 100. Brake out, RPM raise another 100. The moment you started moving the clutch, RPM up 2-300.

It's all for smoothing it out for those unfamiliar with manuals.
Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
One of our road techs needed a throwout bearing at 103k miles on the service truck. It just got real noisy. We put a new clutch package in and the same truck now has 285k miles and the bearing is just now starting to make a little noise. Back when the 1st one got noisy we had a discussion about him sitting at lights with his foot on the clutch pedal. He stopped doing that immediately and got quite a bit more life out of the new OEM bearing. Common sense

Also, I realize the bearing can lightly touch the clutch diaphragm all the time on some setups, but that's not the same as having it spin with a load on it.
Considering designed bearing life is in the millions, possibly tens of millions, of cycles with full load... a small load won't do much to shorten it. The real killer is resting a foot on the clutch pedal while driving and allowing the clutch to slip just a tiny bit and generate heat.

Reactions: Ebm

gbgreen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Manual V6 Mustang Coupe
I have ZERO faith in this guy. I watched a couple videos of him driving cars and he was saying and doing the stupidest shit. Then I saw one where he was at a press event for a truck and the OEM engineer they had riding with him had to explain just the simplest of things to this guy.

I wouldn't take this guy's word for very much just because he makes a video of it.
I didn't take his word for it just because he makes a video of it.
I referenced it because the content of the video was correct and consistent with auto engineering principles as I know them. I have watched only 2-3 of his videos, and have found no glaring inaccuracies in any of them. Hopefully, we have watched different videos.

I don't know others' opinion of Road & Track magazine (not my favorite, but respected by many), but they have referenced this guy's videos to explain concepts.

I'm not familiar with the truck press event video you described, but sometimes interviewers allow guests to explain (even the simplest) things they already know because allowing an expert to describe a concept helps educate the audience, because they will more readily believe the expert. I'm just trying to give a plausible reason why what you saw perhaps made him look less than credible in your eyes. No disrespect intended, but perhaps if you could provide a link to the video, we could watch it and judge for ourselves whether it provides evidence that his qualifications are to be questioned.
Sponsored