Idle bounce when going into neutral

lootinleoni

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So when I’m cruising and push clutch in and put into neutral to coast to stop intermittently the idle bounces from like 900 to 400 for a couple seconds before finally smoothing out...it’s weird has never died on me though and it does it when engine is cold and warm...
Sponsored

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Does the bounce happen when you're at a complete stop (after coasting)? I have a 2015 Mustang with an '18 manifold/Lund tune, and the RPM dip that you're describing happens to me often.

The car only died on me once at a stoplight on a hot day, and hasn't happened since.

If you're tuned, try to capture the RPM dip on a datalog and send it over to your tuner.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
MAF turbulence most likely.

blackyote_317

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
MAF turbulence most likely.
This. I had the exact issue you're describing with my PMAS intake when I rotated my MAF too far down into the engine bay. Hell, it was so bad it would occasionally shut the car down. Took me a week to sort out but the solution was simple: rotate maf back up.

EDIT: If you see your AFR bouncing around more than a few tenths at idle, MAF turbulence is almost certainly the cause.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I had some major MAF turbulence with my Velossatech and the JLT 18 intake when I had it on. The car died a few times pulling up to stoplights. Quite embarassing. My CP-E Icebox hasn't had the turbulence issues the JLT had. I still get some dips with the A/C running, but I'm wondering if that's because my 18 manifold is locked out. Either way, car runs fine now.

Sponsored

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
This. I had the exact issue you're describing with my PMAS intake when I rotated my MAF too far down into the engine bay. Hell, it was so bad it would occasionally shut the car down. Took me a week to sort out but the solution was simple: rotate maf back up.

EDIT: If you see your AFR bouncing around more than a few tenths at idle, MAF turbulence is almost certainly the cause.
What do you mean "rotate maf back up?"

Nghtshd88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Premium
Just starting having this same issue when cold.. 18 mani with JLT and lund tune. But ive had the mani on for a while.

Also curious what rotating it back up means? Its been in the same place forever.
Sponsored