I weighed my Mustangs

OP
OP

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Sorry for the omission of body style for my Fox Mustangs. The 1985 and 1991 are both coupes. All my Mustangs were custom ordered. My 1985 LX 5.0 coupe was ordered without air conditioning to help reduce weight. I have seen very feel real world weights for Mustangs as they come from the factory. I posted the weights because all my Mustangs are original unmodified cars. I would like to know how my Mustangs compare to others that have more options. I would like to know what Ecoboost Mustangs weigh with the A10 auto trans.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The Fox body Mustangs were light but over the years with changing options and federal regulations the weight went up. Federal regulations is the main resound the s550 weights so much.
Not all of the added weight since the early Fox years has been "fat".

Cars are significantly more rigid, which is a good thing for performance (especially cornering), ride quality, and durability. Not to mention driver confidence/composure.

14" front brakes vs 10" or maybe 11" for the Fox.

Norm

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
Another mid 80's Mustang that was quite "light" was the 1986 SVO! I had one that was comp. prept. meaning NO A/C, No power windows, or door locks, or get this, >no radio< It did have, from the factory, Hurst 5 spd shifter, Koni adjustable shocks, 4 wheel discs, 16' tires, and wheels, Recaro seats, and beautifully placed pedals for heel and toe downshifting! the 16-inch wheels were a first for Ford on a Mustang I believe, for several more years before they made it to the Mustang GT's. It also had one of the best steering wheels in the history of motoring, (imo) Unfortunately, I sold this car and never weighted it, but this car had to hover right around 3000 lbs, give or take a few.

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
Damn the Mustangs are a direct reflection of the American population gaining weight year after year:wink:

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Another mid 80's Mustang that was quite "light" was the 1986 SVO! I had one that was comp. prept. meaning NO A/C, No power windows, or door locks, or get this, >no radio< It did have, from the factory, Hurst 5 spd shifter, Koni adjustable shocks, 4 wheel discs, 16' tires, and wheels, Recaro seats, and beautifully placed pedals for heel and toe downshifting! the 16-inch wheels were a first for Ford on a Mustang I believe, for several more years before they made it to the Mustang GT's. It also had one of the best steering wheels in the history of motoring, (imo) Unfortunately, I sold this car and never weighted it, but this car had to hover right around 3000 lbs, give or take a few.
The SVO website lists the 86 at just over 3000 Ibs, so the comp prep will easily be under 3000 (have not weighed mine so can't confirm). Agree these cars are pretty unique. I have a 84 SVO that the previous owner swapped a 5.0 into (unfortunately) but he did a lot of suspension work on it, I'm turning this car into a CAM-C racer, hopefully by summer next year.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I always thought the older mustangs where too small. Why i never had any interest in them. Love the size and muscle of latest generation.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Talking about weight, does anybody know what's the difference in weight from the A10 tranny to the MT-82? Curious about that. Thx.

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Talking about weight, does anybody know what's the difference in weight from the A10 tranny to the MT-82? Curious about that. Thx.
BlueHPP posted this in another thread.

Attachments

OP
OP

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I added some details to my original post to make it more complete. I weighed all the Mustangs at the end of October 2020. All weights are current.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
BlueHPP posted this in another thread.
Thanks, brother. Several errors on Bullitts at a quick glance (4-piston calipers, electric parking brake, etc), for an official Ford document. Anyway, the difference in weight between A10 and MT-82 seems to be 28 lbs. I thought it was quite a bit more than that. Maybe the MT-82 car is a higher trim (havier) one, hence the small difference? Who knows.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
The A10 weight versus manual trans surprises me too . I was expecting the A10 to be 40 to 50 pounds heavier.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Looks like 108 lbs for the MT82-D4 and 230-ish for the 10R80.

Keep in mind that the 10R80 weight is "complete", which should be including the torque converter. But the MT82 weight would not include the pressure plate, the dual-disc clutch or the dual-mass flywheel. Weights of things like the MT's throwout bearing and the automatic's flex plate can't be more than a few lbs.

MT82 Transmission: Specs, Problems & Where to Buy (transmissionrepaircostguide.com)

Ford 10R80 Transmission: Specs & Updates (transmissionrepaircostguide.com)

Norm

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Looks like 108 lbs for the MT82-D4 and 230-ish for the 10R80.

Keep in mind that the 10R80 weight is "complete", which should be including the torque converter. But the MT82 weight would not include the pressure plate, the dual-disc clutch or the dual-mass flywheel. Weights of things like the MT's throwout bearing and the automatic's flex plate can't be more than a few lbs.

MT82 Transmission: Specs, Problems & Where to Buy (transmissionrepaircostguide.com)

Ford 10R80 Transmission: Specs & Updates (transmissionrepaircostguide.com)

Norm

The media site for Ford has a technical specs PDF (see below) that indicates the there's a 28lb difference, manual vs. A10.

Motortrend did a test and said they weighed them and saw ~3lbs difference. I'm sure they were comparing like trims (i.e., definitely both GT PP based on the photos), with maybe a touch of difference due to fluid levels and exact options (the A10 appears to be a non-401a car since it doesn't have the digital dash, the M6 does - again, based on the photos).

Bottom line: it's negligible. :)

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...duct/2020/mustang/2020-Mustang-Tech_Specs.pdf

https://www.motortrend.com/news/why...automatic-is-so-much-quicker-than-the-manual/

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I thought that somewhat more detail was in order. Knowing why the weight difference was closer to a wash than what most people probably expect has to be worth as much as simply reading that the weights overall aren't much different.

Norm

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I thought that somewhat more detail was in order. Knowing why the weight difference was closer to a wash than what most people probably expect has to be worth as much as simply reading that the weights overall aren't much different.

Norm
Ugh, after this week, my car with me in it will be another 20 lbs heavier ... :crackup:
Sponsored