Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
I have zero tick. Warm or cold, no tick whatsoever. My buddy had a tick and i heard it in person. Shit is loud. 6 months later, his motor failed. Tick = normal?? No f'n way.
Sponsored

Tammaro21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 performance package mustang gt
So why no such tsb on coyote that is on mustang since 2011?
I’d imagine because it’s not as widespread of an issue as the internet makes it out to be. Forums and YouTube blow up an issue that prob is just effecting a small amount of cars.

Tammaro21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have zero tick. Warm or cold, no tick whatsoever. My buddy had a tick and i heard it in person. Shit is loud. 6 months later, his motor failed. Tick = normal?? No f'n way.
But here’s the question, can you or ford with 100% certainty say that the tick is what blew up his motor? ‍♂ I don’t have a tick either on my 2019 (but I run 12 dollar a quart oil in mine) some have the tick, some don’t. Regarding your buddy I’d say that there are always bad motors in a bunch. This is a mass produced car and they are bound to have failures. I’d also say there are MANY contributing factors like driving style and how well you take care of your car. I had a Paxton mt82 car before I traded it in and did twins on my 19. Everyone on the Internet made it seem like the MT 82 transmission was a ticking time bomb. I personally drove mine semi hard but I wasn’t an idiot with it and I also did things to prevent any issues like change the clutch and put in MGW shifter in the car. I had no issues with mine and it shifted smooth as silk but the Internet obviously has shown that a lot of people have issues. Just because some have issues should people bad mouth the hole platform? That is what has been ticking me off as of late, all these dodge and Chevy fanboys that take the first opportunity to bag on a ford product when their cars, as well as many other manufacturers have inherent issues as well. Anyways, I don’t know how well your buddy Does or doesn’t take care of his car, we both don’t know how much he does or doesn’t beat on his car but I do know that there are failures out there that are based on driving habits and maintenance habits as well. Hell, Michael Mac and stangmode on YouTube both have the tick and they take their car to the track and beat the hell out of it every weekend but yet they have no issues with drivability. Again, this is why I personally don’t think the tick is what is causing these very small amount of engines failures. I honestly have not seen one person on the Internet saying that the tick directly is what blew up the motor. Ultimately there are many factors to why people have issues.

Tammaro21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, I know exactly what someone is gonna say next, “but when I took my car in for the tick Ford said that they saw scoring on the cylinders”. All I say to that is exactly why the guy who started this thread said, There are plenty of engines with this tick noise from ford, dodge and gm that are running perfectly fine and running for hundreds of thousands of miles. The tick itself is not what is causing those specific vehicles to have scoring on the cylinders. If that was The case every car from every manufacture with this specific tick sound would blow up or have drivability issues. Ultimately to me, if my car eventually makes a noise of any sort but doesn’t exhibit any issues other than that noise I will continue to send it and enjoy the car rather than stress out. And who cares anyways, you all have warranties if it ticks, do something about it, it’s your choice. I put a hellion kit on my car and completely voided the warranty and I could care less.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
The title of your thread should say "I think the tick is HARMLESS". To imply that it is normal would be to state that engines that don't tick are abnormal. Assuming that most manufacturers would be trying to build quiet engines, then the tick is not normal unless all equivalent engines do it and it was intended by the manufacturer. Since I'm sure Ford didn't intend for their engine to sound like a typewriter or bbq lighter, it reasonable to say that the noise is an unintended abnormality. The real question is whether it is harmless or not.

Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i think part of the issue there are too many things being called "the tick" there is injector tick and on the 18+ you have the HPFP and the DI injectors making a constant tick noise. im more concerned with the bottom end random tapping sound.

Stormtroopin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Mach 1 on order; ‘18 Mustang GT (sold)
Also, I know exactly what someone is gonna say next, “but when I took my car in for the tick Ford said that they saw scoring on the cylinders”. All I say to that is exactly why the guy who started this thread said, There are plenty of engines with this tick noise from ford, dodge and gm that are running perfectly fine and running for hundreds of thousands of miles. The tick itself is not what is causing those specific vehicles to have scoring on the cylinders. If that was The case every car from every manufacture with this specific tick sound would blow up or have drivability issues. Ultimately to me, if my car eventually makes a noise of any sort but doesn’t exhibit any issues other than that noise I will continue to send it and enjoy the car rather than stress out. And who cares anyways, you all have warranties if it ticks, do something about it, it’s your choice. I put a hellion kit on my car and completely voided the warranty and I could care less.
This logic is patently false. Just because X, Y, or Z have a tick that sounds similar and are running fine is no indication of no issue with the Gen 3 coyote. For all we know there could be a similar contingent of engine examples you provided that have been seeing systemic damage from whatever causes this noise. Not to mention the jury is out on the link between this noise and cylinder wall scoring but it appears that those who have the noise and have had bores inspected have seen damage. Now weather this is attributed to the tick or the rattle that seems to be linked to the Gen 3 coyote who knows. Point is that you cannot assume that the tick means the car will or will not blow up or have driveability issues because we simply don't know at this point. As previously seen on this forum, plenty of folks on here had the tick with no driveability issues, took the car in and found scoring.

Additionally, I struggle to connect driving & maintenance habits as a causal link to this issue given so many of us are abiding by the break in factory recommendation, changing the factory fill long before the 10k suggestion with good synthetic oil, and still developing a tick. In my case, my car developed this noise around 550 miles on the factory fill and never saw 4k rpm or above for any time prior to it's first 1k miles. The real litmus test for this noise is a case by case oil filter monitoring & borescope inspection to understand the impact of the noise.

Stang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have a very high mileage whippled 2018. It has had the tick since day one. Currently makes over 820whp with no issues. Currently has 24,000 miles on it and still no metal in oil. You would think if it was cylinder scoring/piston slap there’d be some metal in oil by now. Especially with the boost. I have even ran regular 5w20 oil this whole time! I just switched to Shell Rotella 5w40 last week. Still ticks. After seeing some engines with the tick at dealership that were torn down with no cylinder scoring, I just gave up and said screw it. I’m not going to be without my car for months only to not have issue resolved. So I added the boost and sent it. No issues.

I beat the hell out of it daily. Not saying it’s normal or not, but I have heard this same metallic tapping on older coyotes as well. I think every 2018 plus will start ticking at some point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirty-max

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
I have a very high mileage whippled 2018. It has had the tick since day one. Currently makes over 820whp with no issues. Currently has 24,000 miles on it and still no metal in oil. You would think if it was cylinder scoring/piston slap there’d be some metal in oil by now. Especially with the boost. I have even ran regular 5w20 oil this whole time! I just switched to Shell Rotella 5w40 last week. Still ticks. After seeing some engines with the tick at dealership that were torn down with no cylinder scoring, I just gave up and said screw it. I’m not going to be without my car for months only to not have issue resolved. So I added the boost and sent it. No issues.

I beat the hell out of it daily. Not saying it’s normal or not, but I have heard this same metallic tapping on older coyotes as well. I think every 2018 plus will start ticking at some point.

does it only do it when it's cold?

Stang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
does it only do it when it's cold?
I use to think so, but discovered it does it cold or warm. However on some days I don’t hear it. I will say the tick got a lot quieter since the whipple was installed. When the factory intake was on it was louder.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dirty-max

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
I use to think so, but discovered it does it cold or warm. However on some days I don’t hear it. I will say the tick got a lot quieter since the whipple was installed. When the factory intake was on it was louder.
How long have you had the Whipple on it? Any tick would drive me nuts lol luckily a lot of guys get it to disappear with CeraTech

Stang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
How long have you had the Whipple on it? Any tick would drive me nuts lol luckily a lot of guys get it to disappear with CeraTech
Whipple has been on for over 3k miles. It’s quieter for sure, but wasn’t super loud to begin with. The video I posted is post whipple.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Bravo OP, Bravo!!

You just might have saved Ford from themselves by replacing countless shortblocks for no damn reason.

Just drive the car people!!

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
You drive it with them
Whipple has been on for over 3k miles. It’s quieter for sure, but wasn’t super loud to begin with. The video I posted is post whipple.
You drive it hard with them wimpy stock AS tires? U daily that thing? I love seeing high mile cars. Drive it like it's meant to do.

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
But here’s the question, can you or ford with 100% certainty say that the tick is what blew up his motor? ‍♂ I don’t have a tick either on my 2019 (but I run 12 dollar a quart oil in mine) some have the tick, some don’t. Regarding your buddy I’d say that there are always bad motors in a bunch. This is a mass produced car and they are bound to have failures. I’d also say there are MANY contributing factors like driving style and how well you take care of your car. I had a Paxton mt82 car before I traded it in and did twins on my 19. Everyone on the Internet made it seem like the MT 82 transmission was a ticking time bomb. I personally drove mine semi hard but I wasn’t an idiot with it and I also did things to prevent any issues like change the clutch and put in MGW shifter in the car. I had no issues with mine and it shifted smooth as silk but the Internet obviously has shown that a lot of people have issues. Just because some have issues should people bad mouth the hole platform? That is what has been ticking me off as of late, all these dodge and Chevy fanboys that take the first opportunity to bag on a ford product when their cars, as well as many other manufacturers have inherent issues as well. Anyways, I don’t know how well your buddy Does or doesn’t take care of his car, we both don’t know how much he does or doesn’t beat on his car but I do know that there are failures out there that are based on driving habits and maintenance habits as well. Hell, Michael Mac and stangmode on YouTube both have the tick and they take their car to the track and beat the hell out of it every weekend but yet they have no issues with drivability. Again, this is why I personally don’t think the tick is what is causing these very small amount of engines failures. I honestly have not seen one person on the Internet saying that the tick directly is what blew up the motor. Ultimately there are many factors to why people have issues.
Over here we run 5w-30 and change the oil every 5000kilometers. anyway Something is causing the tick. If it were normal we'd see alot more cars with this ticking issue, but we dont. Yes i agree this bbq tick is getting blown out of proporion when in fact a very small percentage of engines are experiencing this problem, which is exactly why I conider it an abnormality.
Sponsored

Last edited: