I think bad roads are wrecking my suspension

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Well just when I had all suspension noises fixed, it is back again.

Took a trip through the horrible roads of DC last night and then a trip to a client this morning that takes me over a shit road that's ripped up. I tried to go slow and take it easy.

Now I am hearing the clunk clunk clunk again. Right rear, again.

I suspect that the IRS parts I've installed in the rear plus the stiffer springs and shocks are wreaking havoc on the OEM parts and bushings. Meaning that the bad road conditions are destroying my suspension which is exacerbated or made possible by all the suspension stiffening components.

I've been through this 4-5 times now. I'm confident a shop can fix it but what do i do then? It's just gonna come back again isn't it?

Here I was a few days ago planning out my spring mods, but if a good solution doesn't present itself, I may be looking for a new car. I can't have this happening to me 20X. I don't have the know how to fix stuff myself and I don't have the time to get it fixed every time this shit happens.

Maybe I've dug my own grave with this suspension thing. Unfortunately not all roads are good and I have no choice but to go on some of these roads. I wanted a Mustang that would handle better but I now fear I have invited more trouble than I bargained for.

What do I do now?
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it too. A firm suspension is good around corners and on the track, but a soft suspension handles bad roads more comfortably. Maybe some progressive springs might help? Or firmer springs, but softer struts?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The only time I've ever heard a clunk was when the upper rear shock mounting bolts weren't torqued down. It was noticeable immediately, so I didn't get much further than out of the driveway before fixing.

The only significant force increase from your springs in dampers will be to that mount and the spring mount of the body. Check it out.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I've had several issues.

Last time I had this clunk noise - the shop said they found the BMR toe rod to be cockeyed which caused it to hit something at the car moved up and down. Must've happened during the alignment according to them.

The second time I had creaking noises, from the right front and right rear. In the right rear it proved to be a noisy UCA bushing. They replaced the right UCA piece completely and were able to lubricate the left side to make the noises go away. It's been fine for a while since then.

It wasn't until driving on these bad roads that I noticed a problem.

I hear it -

1. When I left off the brake from a stop to hit the gas
2. I hit a bump
3. I come to a stop from being in a higher gear
4. Sometimes hear noises from the area when I shut off the car and put in park. How this could be happening I don't know.

mustangflanagan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I am having the same issue with my Steeda pro actions and Steeda ultra light linears... It's not every bump. But it happens quite a bit with that this sound I am hoping it's the bumpstops idk

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I don't think it matters what parts I installed or from what brand. It's not installed incorrectly. This is happening because of Ford and how they designed the car, and the roads they we have here in Maryland DC area. Warped, ripped up. Complete crap. But there's nothing they can do nothing they can do. The winters wreak havoc on the roads.

I think any part I install, I will eventually have noises occur. The OEM parts that are there are not made for this IMO after what I've gone through.

I may be looking for a new car soon it looks like. But I'm not going to give up just yet. I'm going to talk to the guys at the shop and try to figure out why this stuff keeps happening. If is unavoidable then I guess I've wasted my money and I just deal with it or trade it in and buy a new ride.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Sorry you're going through this. I too live in MD, although near Baltimore.

My suspension is completely stock (other than the Steeda G-Trac brace and the IRS braces) and I have no problems or creaks with 33,000 miles on the car.

I know you don't want to hear it but if the car was fine when it was stock, and now, after modifying all of the OEM bits and piece's with stiffer bits and piece's, it's creaking and making noises, how is that Ford's fault? I'm just not seeing the connection.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've had several issues.

Last time I had this clunk noise - the shop said they found the BMR toe rod to be cockeyed which caused it to hit something at the car moved up and down. Must've happened during the alignment according to them.

The second time I had creaking noises, from the right front and right rear. In the right rear it proved to be a noisy UCA bushing. They replaced the right UCA piece completely and were able to lubricate the left side to make the noises go away. It's been fine for a while since then.

It wasn't until driving on these bad roads that I noticed a problem.

I hear it -

1. When I left off the brake from a stop to hit the gas
2. I hit a bump
3. I come to a stop from being in a higher gear
4. Sometimes hear noises from the area when I shut off the car and put in park. How this could be happening I don't know.
This sounds like a driveline issue, not suspension. I'd go through all your diff bushings.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Sorry you're going through this. I too live in MD, although near Baltimore.

My suspension is completely stock (other than the Steeda G-Trac brace and the IRS braces) and I have no problems or creaks with 33,000 miles on the car.

I know you don't want to hear it but if the car was fine when it was stock, and now, after modifying all of the OEM bits and piece's with stiffer bits and piece's, it's creaking and making noises, how is that Ford's fault? I'm just not seeing the connection.
I'm not saying it's Ford's fault. Just saying the OEM pieces are not meant to be paired with aftermarket pieces, thus causing the OEM parts to fail or detoriate.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
This sounds like a driveline issue, not suspension. I'd go through all your diff bushings.
It could be, but I doubt because I hear it also when I am not even on the throttle. Could be both maybe. Who knows at this point, I am cursed.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It could be, but I doubt because I hear it also when I am not even on the throttle. Could be both maybe. Who knows at this point, I am cursed.
The diff will move around a bunch when you hit a bump, particularly since you have the cradle stabilized via the CB005. Those bushings are soft.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Check the rear upper shock mounts. I got my clunk from there after breaking one. OEM part # FR3Z18A161A is $20-30 and installation is super easy and less than 30 minutes. Alternatively, Steeda makes a pair of billet mounts for $180 after discount.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The diff will move around a bunch when you hit a bump, particularly since you have the cradle stabilized via the CB005. Those bushings are soft.
That is an interesting point. You could be onto something

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I would be very pleased if it turned out to be the diff rocking .