Sponsored

I don't have the tick yet. First oil change coming up

bluestar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue Mustang GT
As of this writing, I don't have the tick. I stored my Mustang for winter and will be bringing it out in about a week. My plan for the first oil change is to run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5 W30 and add a bottle of Ceratec . The car has about 3K on the odometer. What do you guy's think of my plan? Thanks!
Sponsored

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
As of this writing, I don't have the tick. I stored my Mustang for winter and will be bringing it out in about a week. My plan for the first oil change is to run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5 W30 and add a bottle of Ceratec . The car has about 3K on the odometer. What do you guy's think of my plan? Thanks!
Why do you think you will have the tick after an oil change.I had my first oil change service today at 9000 miles.5w20 and no tick.Not everyone has the tick after an oil change but i understand your concern as i was worried too.

OP
OP
bluestar

bluestar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why do you think you will have the tick after an oil change.I had my first oil change service today at 9000 miles.5w20 and no tick.Not everyone has the tick after an oil change but i understand your concern as i was worried too.
It seems like some forum members develop the tick after the first oil change. Based on what I've read, it sounds like the factory break in oil may be a different blend than that used by the dealer for the first oil change. It also seems that 5 W20 may be a bit too thin when warmed up for the Coyote motor. This is just my humble assessment, I could be wrong though. Definitely open to what others who have more of a mechanical background think.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
It seems like some forum members develop the tick after the first oil change. Based on what I've read, it sounds like the factory break in oil may be a different blend than that used by the dealer for the first oil change. It also seems that 5 W20 may be a bit too thin when warmed up for the Coyote motor. This is just my humble assessment, I could be wrong though. Definitely open to what others who have more of a mechanical background think.
It is....engine assembly lube has stuff in it not found in Motorcraft 5/20
5/20 is for fuel economy and takes a back seat to protection.
You can always trade in before changing your oil if concerned. Lol
Bottom line ...it is what is ...and what it will be.
If you Prefer to try and hide a tick before you potentially hear one...go forward with your plan.
Now..what are you going to do about the rattle?

Bjcv24 ...who has a mole at Ford Corporate ...says the your concerned issue is only applicable to early 18's. Fall into that window of production?

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
I would go with either Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 or MC 5w30 with half bottle of Ceratec

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I would go with either Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 or MC 5w30 with half bottle of Ceratec
I’m with Roswell if your a DIYR....
Good starting point and ...and exactly what’s in my garage right this minute waiting to pour.....but I feel I should go to a dealership for a paper trail. Kills me to not do my own service. It has taken a....important to me...part of the hobby out of the hobby. Sad day. Love my old cars even more for that therapy/medication it can provide.

OP
OP
bluestar

bluestar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is....engine assembly lube has stuff in it not found in Motorcraft 5/20
5/20 is for fuel economy and takes a back seat to protection.
You can always trade in before changing your oil if concerned. Lol
Bottom line ...it is what is ...and what it will be.
If you Prefer to try and hide a tick before you potentially hear one...go forward with your plan.
Now..what are you going to do about the rattle?

Bjcv24 ...who has a mole at Ford Corporate ...says the your concerned issue is only applicable to early 18's. Fall into that window of production?
I'll have to check the production date.

Out of curiosity, what's considered an early 18 production date? Thanks.

OP
OP
bluestar

bluestar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Production date was May 2018.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Production date was May 2018.
My production date was May 2018, with the engine built a month earlier in April. You're lucky, because the tick started on mine at 800 miles or so, on the original oil. But similar to what you said in your post, I switched to PUP 5w30 and 1 bottle of Ceratec at 3,400mi. Been quiet as mouse ever since.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Throw in a bottle of ceratec to keep it quiet. You should be fine.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bluestar

bluestar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just took the car out of storage No BBQ tick. Hard to tell what sounds normal because of the DI noise. Thought I had close to 3K on the odometer. Actually have 2450. Oil life says 24%. Is that weird?

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
So if the car takes 10qts for an oil change, do you put in less to allow for the ceratec?
A little less. I threw in the ceratec and put most of the 10 quarts and then checked the oil level and added until it was where it needed to be.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
A little less. I threw in the ceratec and put most of the 10 quarts and then checked the oil level and added until it was where it needed to be.
Thanks. Only issue is I live in a place where it's an underground parking garage. We're not allowed to change the oil there and I have no ramps etc and don't want to be "that guy". I'm going to have give these instructions to either the dealer or a speed shop.

OP
OP
bluestar

bluestar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My production date was May 2018, with the engine built a month earlier in April. You're lucky, because the tick started on mine at 800 miles or so, on the original oil. But similar to what you said in your post, I switched to PUP 5w30 and 1 bottle of Ceratec at 3,400mi. Been quiet as mouse ever since.
Good deal, glad that it worked for you. :)
Sponsored