Sponsored

I backed out of my order, wanted some advice on how I should handle this

chrsschb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 WRX
I'm trying not to be a complete ass here so I wanted some advice on how I should handle this situation:

On March 14th I backed out of my GT350 order. I love the car, don't get me wrong, I just wanted to go a different direction.

Anyways, I had a MSRP deal through an out of state dealer. Everything was fairly smooth and they were easy to deal with so no complaints there. My main issue was communication on their part after the deal was finalized.

Once I told the dealer I wanted out, and he finally replied a week later after I started emailing and calling again, he informed me that the car was on a rail car somewhere in Florida. Instead of letting the car sit at the dealer and letting me help him sell the car he wants me to pay to ship the car back to him. I was honestly considering it but I said well hey let me help you sell it. An MSRP track pack should sell pretty easily, and if needed we'll talk shipping. Then he informs me that he'd be adding ADM from here forward. He didn't disclose how much so I don't know.

So my issue is I've now lost all motivation to help this guy sell this car and assist with shipping knowing that he is no longer offering the car at MSRP. If he's going to charge ADM why should I put even more money into his pocket.

I'm also not fully motivated to help because communication has been an issue along the way. Here's a break down of our communication in the past 9 months. If it says "Reply" it means I initiated the contact.

06/06/15: Ordered
06/09/15: DORA
07/14/15: Reply about how the allocation process works and letting me know he's looking into transport options
07/31/15: Reply to questions I had about transport options
08/19/15: Update on drop shipping to a local dealer
09/01/15: Confirmed the local dealer's fee for the drop shipping
10/14/15: Reply to me asking about VIN and me wanting to swap from Tech to Track
10/19/15: Reply to me asking about the out of state purchase process
12/03/15: Reply to me asking for a status update (no update)
01/08/16: Reply to me asking for a status update (no update)
02/15/16: Contacted me letting me know I had a build week of Feb 29
03/15/16: I contacted him about me backing out (no reply)
03/22/16: Reply about me backing out. At which point he informed me of the rail car thing (This is after reaching out to them again).

I think it's important to note that contact initiated by this dealer only happened a single time once the order/transport was in place, and that was on Feb 15th. Every other update was me asking for something/update. I never received a VIN, ship date, rail car info, etc.

Anyways, I'm trying to not be an asshole here and want to help, but I'm conflicted now that he's doing the ADM crap. He's holding my $5000 (refundable) deposit and I'm trying to get it back.

What would you do?
Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I'd buy it and then attempt to sell for what or close to what you have in it. With shipment I would think you wouldn't have an issue..it certainly would be better than the 5k loss. There are people looking for track package cars on here.

OP
OP

chrsschb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 WRX
I'd buy it and then attempt to sell for what or close to what you have in it. With shipment I would think you wouldn't have an issue..it certainly would be better than the 5k loss. There are people looking for track package cars on here.
I can't buy it to sell. Even if I could afford it I have no where to put it.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
If it's refundable, request that he send it back and if he doesn't escalate to GM or dealer owner. Stop dealing with the salesman. You don't need to help at all. It's also typical of the dealer not to give updates. I figured out everything on my own contacting Ford. I only needed the dealer to give me the Vin then after that I continued tracking on my own. They only contacted me when car arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

chrsschb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 WRX
If it's refundable, request that he send it back and if he doesn't escalate to GM or dealer owner. Stop dealing with the salesman. You don't need to help at all. It's also typical of the dealer not to give updates. I figured out everything on my own contacting Ford. I only needed the dealer to give me the Vin then after that I continued tracking on my own. They only contacted me when car arrived.

I'm already dealing with the GM.

Sponsored

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
Talk to the dealer receiving the Courtesy Delivery about having the car transferred to them to sell from the dealer who you purchased it from.

OP
OP

chrsschb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 WRX
Talk to the dealer receiving the Courtesy Delivery about having the car transferred to them to sell from the dealer who you purchased it from.
How would this work now that the sending dealer wants it back and doesn't want it sitting on a lot.

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
How would this work now that the sending dealer wants it back and doesn't want it sitting on a lot.
They just want the ADM. You just want out. They can arrange with the other dealer to share the ADM.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

It's no longer your problem though. You just need your refundable deposit of $5k back. They need to get it squared away somehow.

OP
OP

chrsschb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 WRX
It's no longer your problem though. You just need your refundable deposit of $5k back. They need to get it squared away somehow.

Haha, you're just leaning towards, "not my problem anymore." I feel like an ass backing out this late into the deal but knowing he's going to charge ADM nearly completely removes any doubt.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Why this dealer is being such an absolute d-hole is beyond me. Granted, yes, the guy thought he was getting a commission and now isn't guaranteed one. Okay, welcome to car sales. His management isn't going to fire the guy. And all the bragging he did selling the car was his own fault. If he went out and bought his wife a diamond necklace anticipating a hefty commission, well... his fault too.

So sounds like the car is not going to be delivered to the dealer that did the deal. Well, this will teach them to send a car anywhere BUT their own lot. As great of a customer service thing doing so may be to ship a car to another dealer, it is not smart. The car should be delivered to their lot, and then shipped via a separate method if the customer doesn't want to pick it up. That's their problem for agreeing to do this, and they should have known the risks.

If I were in this situation, because I'm a nice guy, I would tell them that I'd pay $800 toward the car being shipped back to their dealership and expect $4,200 of my deposit sent to me immediately, or we will meet in small claims court where I will demand $5,000 + expenses. Very simple. Either dealer is not going to have a hard time selling this car.

And if the dealer wants to charge more than MSRP, that is their prerogative. You should never have offered to help sell the car. You are not obligated to.

OP
OP

chrsschb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 WRX
Why this dealer is being such an absolute d-hole is beyond me. Granted, yes, the guy thought he was getting a commission and now isn't guaranteed one. Okay, welcome to car sales. His management isn't going to fire the guy. And all the bragging he did selling the car was his own fault. If he went out and bought his wife a diamond necklace anticipating a hefty commission, well... his fault too.

So sounds like the car is not going to be delivered to the dealer that did the deal. Well, this will teach them to send a car anywhere BUT their own lot. As great of a customer service thing doing so may be to ship a car to another dealer, it is not smart. The car should be delivered to their lot, and then shipped via a separate method if the customer doesn't want to pick it up. That's their problem for agreeing to do this, and they should have known the risks.

If I were in this situation, because I'm a nice guy, I would tell them that I'd pay $800 toward the car being shipped back to their dealership and expect $4,200 of my deposit sent to me immediately, or we will meet in small claims court where I will demand $5,000 + expenses. Very simple. Either dealer is not going to have a hard time selling this car.

And if the dealer wants to charge more than MSRP, that is their prerogative. You should never have offered to help sell the car. You are not obligated to.
Thanks for the input. The conversation fell off real quick once he said he was going to charge ADM. I knew I could leverage the forums and likely pick up a quick sale at MSRP but not so easy now.

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster

I guess that this is why some dealers will not do a Courtesy Delivery.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

My dealer wanted full payment or financing completed prior to car being delivered at another dealer.

OP
OP

chrsschb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 WRX
Well the delivery would have cost me $400 but quite a bit better than paying $800-1000+ to ship it myself.
Sponsored