Sponsored

Hurst shifter with custom resin side plates.

Qckslvr

fiercely mediocre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
On my 2017 RR Gt I had a ball shifter on my automatic. I really liked it, but the paint started to flake after three years and it looked like hell. So I decided to get the Hurst shifter for the car. My wife is Filipina and a Hurst sounds to much like hearse, and she was having no part of that. So... I decided to make some new side plates. My original thoughts were a nice wood, but I live in a condo, and I don’t have easy acces to wood working tools. So next came resin. This proved to be quite easy. So first I filled the original side plates with clay, from there I made molds from platinum silicone. Next step was some crystal clear crafting resin with a few drops of red dye in it. Once cured for about a week I wet sanded and buffed them out. I was not happy with the original color, it was too lite for a ruby red car. Then I got the idea to paint the back side of them with ruby red touch up paint. I only applied one coat which was semi transparent, yet marbled due to brush. I bolted them to handle it really popped, I am quite happy with the end result.

2l6kX8d.jpg
Sponsored