Sponsored

how wide of a tire can I put on a 9" rim?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I had (and still actually have) 285/35/19 on 9" rims, mounted in front and were very much used for heavy cornering. They were fine, reading word "dangerous" somewhere there makes me laugh.

It's fine, difficult to mount and doesn't really give any advantage over 275. 275 fits fine on 9".

Which tire? Most manufacturers want a 9.5" min width on the wheel for this size. Some all season performance will say 9". Michelin wants 9.5 while the Conti Sportcontact extreme say 9".
Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I remember when oval track race cars were limited to a certain width rim and I believe it was Hoosier tire that came out with what they called a cantilever tire. They made really wide tires for the limited width rim. I don't think we will see a tire like that for the street.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Not everyone needs to be "optimum", sometimes "acceptable" is just fine.
With all due respect this is one of the silliest comments I’ve read on this forum In awhile. Tires are the single most important component on a car. It is only thing between you and the road. Optimum is where you should start. For a safety part, acceptable should not even be in the enthusiasts vocabulary.

And by the way here is where the chart came from.
https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/charts/tire-width-for-a-wheel-rim-size-chart

For what’s it worth, here’s a chart that says a 275/9” combo is just fine. Again all recommendations, not absolutes.

https://www.widewhitetires.com/ApprovedRimWidths.jpg

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With all due respect this is one of the silliest comments I’ve read on this forum In awhile. Tires are the single most important component on a car. It is only thing between you and the road. Optimum is where you should start. For a safety part, acceptable should not even be in the enthusiasts vocabulary.

For what’s it worth, here’s a chart that says a 275/9” combo is just fine. Again all recommendations, not absolutes.

Just remember bro, "you can lead a horse to water, but you will never make him drink!"

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Which tire? Most manufacturers want a 9.5" min width on the wheel for this size. Some all season performance will say 9". Michelin wants 9.5 while the Conti Sportcontact extreme say 9".
Bridgestone RE-71R

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bridgestone RE-71R

Bridgestone says 9.5" minimum for that tire. The installer had no issues with this? My installer wouldn't install that tire on a 9" rim.

From tirerack..click on specs
Tirerack

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT

You must not have read your own comment before you posted, its pretty silly also. Ford didn't even start at optimum, again, 305 tire on a 10.5" wheel, 275 tire on a 9" wheel. Doesn't matter if it is semi race tire or not, it still a 305 on a 10.5, not recommend per this table. So the table appears to come from some website I have never hear of, still have no idea who authored it, Engineer, enthusiast, someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night? Then again, maybe it is somewhere on that website, I don't really have the time to dig around because ultimately, I don't really care. I will continue to go with manufacturer recommendations for what is "acceptable", and I would be willing to bet I will be just fine, along with billions of other people in this world.

Doug

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I had (and still actually have) 285/35/19 on 9" rims, mounted in front and were very much used for heavy cornering. They were fine, reading word "dangerous" somewhere there makes me laugh.

It's fine, difficult to mount and doesn't really give any advantage over 275. 275 fits fine on 9".
Oh my god, the humanity! A 285 on a 9" wheel! and they were fine? No way, that's impossible!

Yes, sarcasm, and lots of it! lol

Doug

Last edited:

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
"What is the widest tire I can fit on ___ wheel?" The frequency this question is asked says it all. Looks over everything else. :)

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
You must not have read your own comment before you posted, its pretty silly also. Ford didn't even start at optimum, again, 305 tire on a 10.5" wheel, 275 tire on a 9" wheel. Doesn't matter if it is semi race tire or not, it still a 305 on a 10.5, not recommend per this table. So the table appears to come from some website I have never hear of, still have no idea who authored it, Engineer, enthusiast, someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night? Then again, maybe it is somewhere on that website, I don't really have the time to dig around because ultimately, I don't really care. I will continue to go with manufacturer recommendations for what is "acceptable", and I would be willing to bet I will be just fine, along with billions of other people in this world.

Doug
Untill that one time when you enter a corner in the mountain too fast the tire wall flex under the load of the car and your 285 front tire on a 9" rim put you in the ditch and you open the next thread on how and why my Mustang ended in a ditch and what to do now.
There is not that much to understand about tires here is Billy Johnson to explain it better than me:

https://motoiq.com/how-to-properly-select-and-size-tires-for-performance/

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Untill that one time when you enter a corner in the mountain too fast the tire wall flex under the load of the car and your 285 front tire on a 9" rim put you in the ditch and you open the next thread on how and why my Mustang ended in a ditch and what to do now.
There is not that much to understand about tires here is Billy Johnson to explain it better than me:

https://motoiq.com/how-to-properly-select-and-size-tires-for-performance/
I get that you think we are going to die, but pretty much everyone running those cars in F Street in autocross used 285 Stones on 9 inch front wheel (since we were constrained by class rules to stock wheel width). Most of us cornered much harder than anyone will on a "mountain corner", we are all alive from what I can tell. So with all due respect, quit your bullshit.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I get that you think we are going to die, but pretty much everyone running those cars in F Street in autocross used 285 Stones on 9 inch front wheel (since we were constrained by class rules to stock wheel width). Most of us cornered much harder than anyone will on a "mountain corner", we are all alive from what I can tell. So with all due respect, quit your bullshit.
You use racing tires with stiffer side wall and probably a few PSI over 32 in order to stiffen the side wall additionally. Hanse why it's working also you are driving on a parking lot where you have plenty of space to turn and save the car if anything else happen. This is not the racing part of the forum is the regular one which mean that people could use cheap not properly inflated tires with softer side wall's. So your suggestion even though it will work is borderline dangerous.