How wide can I go?

JimsFury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT (Grabber Lime), 1996 Ford Ranger
I have this exact rim and tire setup on my 2018 GT. I was thinking of going with a wider rear tire just because it would look better. I want to stick with the Pirelli's since I dont want to have to buy all 4 tires, just 2 rear tires.

What's the widest I can go using this 19 inch rim?
RIM.jpg
Sponsored

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
255 is the widest tire recommended for that wheel width.

Get aftermarket wheels if you want to run wider tires.

OP
OP
JimsFury

JimsFury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
255 is the widest tire recommended for that wheel width.
How many inches wider is that approx compared to stock tires?

I love the stance of the 2018 Camaro SS's with those 20's and wide Goodyear tires. Im not gonna upgrade to 20's but I can get a wider tire for sure.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
They come with 255s from the factory. You can't go any wider on that wheel

OP
OP
JimsFury

JimsFury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Those are the same wheels my car has and I think they are 19x9. IF that is the case (a big IF because I didn't do a good search), you could go up to a 275 width tire but then there isn't one the exact same height as stock. Best you could do in that case is a 275/35/19 but its slightly shorter than the stock 255/40/19. Then you have the same width tires as the regular SS. The 1LE spec and above have much wider tires though and you would need new wheels for tires that wide.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
If you went up one size to 265/40/19 you'd have approx. 1/2" more rubber on each wheel. x 2 wheels = one whole inch more of tire to put down power when you stomp the gas pedal. It would help... not as much as getting all new lightweight wheels and bigger better tires all around.

OP
OP
JimsFury

JimsFury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Those are the same wheels my car has and I think they are 19x9. IF that is the case (a big IF because I didn't do a good search), you could go up to a 275 width tire but then there isn't one the exact same height as stock. Best you could do in that case is a 275/35/19 but its slightly shorter than the stock 255/40/19. Then you have the same width tires as the regular SS. The 1LE spec and above have much wider tires though and you would need new wheels for tires that wide.
Yeah I was wondering about the height of the tire as well. I guess that idea gets blown out the window...:facepalm:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If you put a 275 on a 9" wheel, you're going to get some tire bulge and actually get about .2" of height per 20mm of additional width if I remember right. However, a 275 is generally not an appropriate size for a 9" wheel under a certain aspect ratio. Stretch and bulge causes the tire walls to act in ways it wasn't meant to. If you're just street driving and some casual drag racing you can get away with it, you'll be fine. But any other performance oriented driving like autocross or track days, I would highly advise against it. It's not a safety concern really so much as you won't get an idea of what the car is really trying to tell you during handling.

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If you put a 275 on a 9" wheel, you're going to get some tire bulge and actually get about .2" of height per 20mm of additional width if I remember right. However, a 275 is generally not an appropriate size for a 9" wheel under a certain aspect ratio. Stretch and bulge causes the tire walls to act in ways it wasn't meant to. If you're just street driving and some casual drag racing you can get away with it, you'll be fine. But any other performance oriented driving like autocross or track days, I would highly advise against it. It's not a safety concern really so much as you won't get an idea of what the car is really trying to tell you during handling.
275s on a 9" wheel are almost flush. My old car came with 275s on a 17x9" wheel from the factory and they were straight flush. No bulge or stretch.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
That wheel is 8.5" wide. He could probably get away with a 265 but there really is no benefit to it.
Sponsored