Sponsored

How was driving in the winter?

AJofEarth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Magnetic
I'm planning on getting a 2015 GT PP very soon, but I'm contemplating whether I should keep my current car for winter driving or not. I would much rather DD the Mustang year round. I know there's a snow mode, but I'm also curious which tires you guys used this winter and how everything worked out for you.
Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
Does not matter what car you have. Everything boils down to tires. The correct winter tires and any car will drive like a tank.

All seasons are a compromise, mediocre summer performance and mediocre winter.

Almost every car should have dedicated summer and winter tires.

batz1917

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT Premium (401a) w/ PP
If one were to decide to go with the dedicated summer & winter tires, does this require having dedicated wheels for each set of tires? For example buying a whole new set of rims, TPMS, etc.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
not required, but depending on the shop, you are looking at $100+ to remount the tires each time. $200 a year, versus buying some winter only wheels for $700 or so.

3-4 years and they pay off. Plus, you save the winter wear and tear on your summer wheels.

Thats how I have been doing it on my last few cars.

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
What is this WINTER that you speak of????

Signed
Eric in California

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
not required, but depending on the shop, you are looking at $100+ to remount the tires each time. $200 a year, versus buying some winter only wheels for $700 or so.

3-4 years and they pay off. Plus, you save the winter wear and tear on your summer wheels.

Thats how I have been doing it on my last few cars.
This is what I will almost certainly do, but the local Firestone shop near me only charged $45 to change from summers to winters on my old car. At that point it gets close on cost.

rdycoss1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY Mustang GT Premium PP
Toronto, Canada, GT PP with Blizzak LM-32 winter tires mounted to the factory wheels. No problem with the winter, the car was rock solid on the snow...

DaveFraser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium,PP, Ingot Silver
Pirelli Sotozeros mounted on stock PP black wheels. No problems even in heavy snow.Will change to 20"aftermarket wheels and performance tires this spring.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Pirelli Sotozeros mounted on stock PP black wheels. No problems even in heavy snow.Will change to 20"aftermarket wheels and performance tires this spring.
You're kidding right? I made a big fuss at the dealer practically giving me the PP package, because that's all they had available, but I didn't want to deal with swapping out summer tires when it snows

Sponsored

Shanghai Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Convertible in Race Red
What is this WINTER that you speak of????

Signed
Eric in California
You know, it's that time of year when the days are a hair shorter, you buy lots of presents for each other for Christmas, and the air at night is a touch colder so you need pants instead of shorts.

On the plus side, the car does run a bit stronger, and there doesn't seem to be as much pollen coating the inside, so it's more fun to leave the top down all the time...

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
I'm planning on getting a 2015 GT PP very soon, but I'm contemplating whether I should keep my current car for winter driving or not. I would much rather DD the Mustang year round. I know there's a snow mode, but I'm also curious which tires you guys used this winter and how everything worked out for you.
Oh you will most definitely need winter tires for the winter months, and if you have the bankroll for a GT PP, buy a dedicated set of rims. This will prevent the hassle of having to get winter tires mounted/unmounted a few times a year and save the PP wheels some salt and abuse.

As far as keeping your current DD, what is it? Unless its a 4x4 truck you might as well sell it. From a MD winter, I got through just about every snow with Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT 235's (as opposed to my DD 255's). This included crappily plowed roads in snows that accumulated a foot (actually drove on probably 3-4 inches). There were two occasions where the Tahoe came to the rescue and the Mustang would have been beached.

This is the catch; even with blizzaks, snow mode, and an angel, there is no getting over snow accumulation on even mild hills. I remember almost getting stuck on an off-ramp with a slight incline. In the worst snows the Mustang could handle, I literally drove in 1st and 2nd gear the entire trip and my arsehole was clenched the whole time. Maintaining speed was nerve wrecking too since giving it gas would losen the back end, but snow mode kept it in check pretty well. Anything over 4 inches on the pavement is a no go, period.

Dont be cheap, just buy winter tires. If they saved an accident once they would pay for themselves

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
It would help you get more appropriate responses if we knew which state you lived in. If it's in New England, don't even consider all season tires on a Mustang for Winter. Unless you don't mind almost daily fender benders due to sliding and loss of traction. I drove my 14 all Winter in NH with a separate set of wheels and snow tires just fine. Having them also makes it easy to switch back and forth at home at my convenience. Reduces damage and balancing issues with mounting and remounting two sets of tires on one set of wheels.

MrPotato

Envious Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fusion SE 202A in Guard
You folks with the dedicated rims and winter tires...

How do you logistically handle the swap?

Do you throw 2 in your truck, 2 in your back seat, drive out to the dealership, and have them swapped? Will 4 tires even fit in the Mustang? Of course... not sure I'd want 4 filthy tires in the car...

Lots of great info on the forum about the tire options and winter handling, but for the life of me, I can't figure out the logistics of actually making the swap twice a year. :lol:

mtorzews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
I use a floor jack, air rachet, and compressor in my garage. Takes 10 minutes at most.
Sponsored