Sponsored

How to wash microfiber rags after waxing/ceramic coating

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
SO I just spent 5+ hours clay baring and ceramic (Turttle wax hybrid) coating my car. When I was done, I had a decent pile of microfiber rags. It would be a shame to just throw them away. Can these be washed in the wash machine? Front load Samsung if it makes a difference.
Sponsored

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The real key is to get them in the wash within the curing time of the specific ceramic coat you're working with. If your coating says allow 48 hours to cure before allowing exposure to wet/rain, then get your towels in before that time is up.

OP
OP

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
That's what I was looking for. I didn't think about searching on youtube. I spent 10-15 minutes searching on here and didn't find anything. Maybe it'll help the next person as well. :like:

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
TW isn't real ceramic so you're good, no worries.

Sponsored

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
Figured it wasn't, that's kinda why I included it, but you never know.
It is decent for what it is. I've used it and was pleased and I think you will be too. TW has really upped their game in the last couple years.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
TW has alway been good, just never had the staying power. Think they were the first to market liquid wax. Chrome polish is good and still is.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Disclaimer - I’ve not used ceramic.

Just downgrade your rags i.e. paint - metal polishing duties (exhaust etc) - clean up (white spirit / thinners etc) - oil and grease - bin.

With a wash in between each stage the rag won’t compromise it’s new diminished duties and you get to use them multiple times before they become obsolete :like:

WD :like:

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Disclaimer - I’ve not used ceramic.

Just downgrade your rags i.e. paint - metal polishing duties (exhaust etc) - clean up (white spirit / thinners etc) - oil and grease - bin.

With a wash in between each stage the rag won’t compromise it’s new diminished duties and you get to use them multiple times before they become obsolete :like:

With ceramic coating once the product dries you are left with shards of glass that can be embedded in the fibers. So potentially the next time you use them there is a risk of inducing scracthes in the paint

Maybe it is possible to clean the towels right away without any risks involved....

But agreed the towels once washed can be used for other duties if needed and wherever possible

Last edited:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I understand that, hence the downgrade process.

Even with some residue you could make a call if the cloth is good enough for using with metal polish on exhaust trims etc.

If your still not happy relegate it to degreasing duties etc

I need to get under my car and wipe the transport mud of the silencers etc - that’s a perfect last duty for even the most shity cloth before it gets retired forever :like:

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I understand that, hence the downgrade process.

Even with some residue you could make a call if the cloth is good enough for using with metal polish on exhaust trims etc.

If your still not happy relegate it to degreasing duties etc

I need to get under my car and wipe the transport mud of the silencers etc - that’s a perfect last duty for even the most shity cloth before it gets retired forever :like:

yes I just added that to my reply as well

If possible of course should the towels be re-used
Wallet and environmental friendly

I have luckily found towels that are dirt cheap that works well for leveling the coating without scratching the paint. So the wallet aspect at least has been taken care of :D

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Considering that the cycle time between applications. The Ceramic coating, 6 - 12 mo or longer. Use and toss seems to be the best practice . MF rags are cheap as hell compared to the paint cost, visually and the wallet.

I am glad to have found this post recently, like last weekend. Tried the Ceramic coating on 2 cars. Washed the rages, paid no attention or thought to the possibility of contamination . I will throw them out, today as a matter. Great read and thanks for the education .

@ WD

Personally, would not even take that chance, especially with aluminum wheels.

I checked out the clip, lost me. Pretty much about the time he started with finding the most virgin soap. Finished almost, bailed when the air drying started.

You say you've not tried the Ceramic yet, I thought long and hard before I did. Some research, learning the difference of the various offerings. Stepped back tossed the idea around some more.

Being one that does not mind the labor it takes to mataine a nice car. Your posting seem to indicate we're of the same mind set, I offer food for thought.

Found the staying power of the Ceramic, determines the cost & labor required for same.

Long story short, landed at Jay Leno's site. Unknown to me a clay bar mit, that got my attention. I've used the clay bar ...... no fun, no how, no way.

Why Leno, I figured his product would be the most forgiving, when used by an amateur or past wax cross over.

Conclusion, cause I'm not trying to convince just relating an experience. 3 key points

1 Clay mit big advantage
2 application moves along quickly, drying time 1 hour
3 good results

Want a couple of shots of the cars PM me.

Pep

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Funnily enough Amazon is delivering me a G3 clay mitt today - after reading leno's site yesterday ... lol

I've only moved onto a clay mitt as I figured the mustang deserved some new clay rather than some pre-used stuff I have in the garage, I found the mitts after the internet chatter about them, perhaps I need to update my old way of thinking ... lol

Still sticking with my wax for a while though - far to many products in the garage for me to use up first, although the lure of ceramic has sparked my interest a little ...

Sponsored