Sponsored

How to "valet" your car for dealer service

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'm one of those types of people that doesn't trust bringing my GT to the dealer because some of the people that work at some dealers do not have respect for the customer's cars and will abuse the opportunity to drive one. Luckily, we have MyKey which will help limit the "damage" they can do.

Set your secondary key as the "MyKey". Only give the dealer the MyKey - UNLESS THE WORK THEY NEED TO DO REQUIRES AN ADMIN KEY.
In the center display between the gauges, go to settings > MyKey > Create MyKey (or change setting if you have one created). Place the secondary FOB in the slot under the rubbing mat in the cupholders (pull it up by the little rubber tab). Under the MyKey settings, configure your key this way:

-Max speed - set as low as possible (100km/h for Canada)
-Speed minder - set for as low as possible (75km/h or 45MPH)
-Audio system Max volume limit - Set to on
-Ensure all other nannies are selected in a way that they cannot be turned off.
-After the MyKey is set, go to your Track Apps and go to Display/Clear results once you've parked your car at the dealer. Choose Clear Accelerometer (or something like that). This will set the accelerometer to zero.

I'm not sure if the car does not log info on the accelerometer on the MyKey with those settings in place, or the dealer personnel working on my car tried to bag it and then cleared it, because I cleared mine before I dropped it off, and it was cleared to zero when I picked up...so not sure on that 100%. Either way, you feel better knowing the TCS/Stability control cannot be turned off, they can't go over 100km/h or 60MPH, they can't crank the radio, and it'll be annoying and ding if they go over 75km/h or 45mph.

***DISCLAIMER*** Be fair, do not set speed limits that are unsafe to the techs/dealer. If they need to drive the car on a road where they need to exceed 60MPH (such as diagnosing a problem on the highway), set it higher as you don't want to endanger them. Setting the limits to the lowest setting is mainly for work that doesn't require them to take the car far or anywhere at all, or does not justify a trip to a high speed road.

Rest more assured that the damage that can be done to the car has been somewhat limited. Nice to have these features anyway.
Sponsored

Mustang99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Wow I'm just like you when I drop my car off to get detailed or the tint done or etc... Never thought to set the mykey settings through

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dfrost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt pp Guard.
Get a third key and program it for your "mykey".
Friend set one of his TWO keys for Explorer for low limits to use as you mentioned. Then, dropped and broke his admin key. Was stuck with " Mykey" and had to pay Ford for new key and programing, as now only had one key.

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Get a third key and program it for your "mykey".
Friend set one of his TWO keys for Explorer for low limits to use as you mentioned. Then, dropped and broke his admin key. Was stuck with " Mykey" and had to pay Ford for new key and programing, as now only had one key.
How far did he drop it from? I thought these smart keys could take a drop?

Sponsored

fundando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Race Red & Black Accents
Solid idea. I'm going to use this next time.

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
when I was working as a Ford Tech, I've seen some very hilarious things people have done to "protect" their car from damage from Techs.
The best one I have ever seen is when a guy taped a paper bag over his a/c and radio control.... when asked, they guy responded he didn't want the tech using up all of his songs and cold air.:lol:
Also, as other have stated...
the MyKey is a very good idea. always have two Master keys and a third myKey. (smart keys don't like washing machines):tsk:
Do not set the speed limit too low if your bringing in your car for something that needs a road test, it becomes a safety hazard and you have to make a second trip to the delaership

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Do not set the speed limit too low if your bringing in your car for something that needs a road test, it becomes a safety hazard and you have to make a second trip to the delaership
Yes, I made sure to add that point for both what you state, plus you don't want to put someone else's safety at risk because you want to keep your baby safe. If the tech takes it on the highway and can't even do the speed limit, it's not fair to him.

I should do a test to see if the accelerometer stores data with the MyKey. I was pretty unimpressed when I picked up my car and it was showing "-.-" as it was reset. They put 6km on it to take it to the stoneguard place...so they better not have been fooling around! Or even worse beating my "high score" lol.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Btw there is a valet mode built into the car without having to use the MyKey function. It is password protected. MyKey is more for having your kid drive or something like that.

Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
Btw there is a valet mode built into the car without having to use the MyKey function. It is password protected. MyKey is more for having your kid drive or something like that.
This is more to keep a valet from looking up your address from your nav and having his buddies rob your house while you are at dinner.

Spartan_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT/PP M/T
Does the Valet mode limit the speed at all? or is just the nav?

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
when I was working as a Ford Tech, I've seen some very hilarious things people have done to "protect" their car from damage from Techs.
The best one I have ever seen is when a guy taped a paper bag over his a/c and radio control.... when asked, they guy responded he didn't want the tech using up all of his songs and cold air.:lol:
Also, as other have stated...
the MyKey is a very good idea. always have two Master keys and a third myKey. (smart keys don't like washing machines):tsk:
While I'm not super anal, I do like the MyKey ideas discussed here and will definitely program my second key for this. I'm actually dropping my GT off at the body shop next Wednesday. Lady rear ended me last weekend. It's minor overall but will probably have to spend a week at the body shop. Definitely don't want any shenanigans. Everyone is always looking for ways to keep technicians from going nuts in their cars. I definitely understand the concern. I almost feel like the better thing to do is to tell them up front that everything is reset and will be monitored. Hopefully that's more of a deterrent as opposed to letting it happen and then dealing with it afterwards.

In any case, I did want to ask you a general question since you said you used to be a Ford tech. As a customer, is it crazy to tell the dealership that you want to be along for any and all road tests? I can't see myself ever "requiring" this but was curious how that comes across from the tech's point of view.

BlackS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 black s550 PP

ARS1

GT350 Member H2678
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Shadow BLK/Blue Ordered 8/25
Just install a dash cam and replay it when you pick it up. The Mykey does nothing to stop them from launching it, burning tires etc... I wish it limited more but it doesn't. Like take rain/snow to the extreme by limiting throttle response like crazy. It could be done for sure...
Sponsored